Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network cable - splitter or coupler or ??

• 11-01-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭

So basically, I have my xbox and laptop and only one port for my ethernet. So how do i take this one port and utilise it so I can use both devices at the same time without having to switch over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

A "Switch" is probably cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Raoul

But on a switch, can I use both devices at the same time. There is contradictory evidence on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

A network switch can support any number of devices connected together - depending on the number of ports available on the switch.

What internet provider do you have? It may be necessary to use an ethernet router instead of a standard network switch dpending on how you connect to the internet. As you may have a modem that only supplies one IP address which can only be used by one device at a time.

An ethernet router would overcome this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Raoul

Im in college campus in DCU. So basically its a ethernet cable directly into a port in the wall.

Cheers for the fast reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can get small 4 port switch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement