Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just o2 that seem to be losing lots of customers?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Going by the boards here it seems o2 are losing lots of customers particularly to 3. Is it just them or are people leaving Vodafone 2? It seems both companies price plans are similar and poor value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vodafone have gained customer base since this time last year. 3 haven't gained as much as it seems from here at times. 3 have only 3% of the market share. I cant remember what o2 have lost off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

i have been with o2 for 8 years and am happy enough. I usually upgrade every year. But if these priceplans stay as they are i will be porting. At the moment im looking for value for money as im looking to save money after the budget. So top of my list is mobile phone broadband provider and tv service for cutbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

oh dear

heres another o2 loosing customers thread :)

racer1 wrote: »
    Going by the boards here it seems o2 are losing lots of customers particularly to 3. Is it just them or are people leaving Vodafone 2? It seems both companies price plans are similar and poor value.

Its all relative to each individual, you think vodafone is poor valve, but they gained over 45 thousand customers from other networks and are still the biggest network in the country. Three got 18k new customers, while meteor lost nearly 55k and o2 lost 9k.

• Advertisement

i suppose that 55k would have something to do with their change of terms and conditions this summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

55,000! That's some loss for meteor. Wonder what happened there? Could well be people who weren't too impressed with the changes alright! They handled it pretty badly.

Wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of vodafone's gains were in prepay. They've really become competitive in that area now, cheapest daily rate for data along with the standard €20 call and text deals all the networks do. Now if only they'd fix their bloody website...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

Generally people only come onto moan so u r not going to see compliments. For every I hate O2 thread there is an I hate Voda/3 one.

Kensington wrote: »
    55,000! That's some loss for meteor. Wonder what happened there? Could well be people who weren't too impressed with the changes alright! They handled it pretty badly.

Wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of vodafone's gains were in prepay. They've really become competitive in that area now, cheapest daily rate for data along with the standard €20 call and text deals all the networks do. Now if only they'd fix their bloody website...

well the change was for the good :) they dropped their data pricing if i remember right.

It was just a way to get out of contract though. I was pretty unhappy with the little value (time i signed up there was no free calls or texts on BP) i was getting compared to PAYG so i went back to PAYG.

Alot of people just left for the sake of getting a new phone.

Kensington wrote: »

They weren't actually, all networks had gains in billpay, and drops of payg. Data packages and smartphone doing the luring. Key reason they wont give payg users the data addons they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

As a long time O2 supporter, I have to say that in the last year or so, their general attitude to their customers stinks.

I've voted with my feet (money) and have moved both billpay and prepay numbers away and I have a couple remaining and intend to do likewise.
    Up to a point I accepted a price premium, but when the attitude changed, that was it. I like to feel, especially in recessionary times, that the people I pay my money to, appreciate me and my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

I would of been a supporter of O2 also however I left them at the start of last year. People have been asking on their forum for prepay data add ons or some sort of fair data pricing for the last 3 years however the only responses were its coming please hold out for it. Then they released the social link thing which was terrible and didnt work on an iphone. I decided I wasnt waiting anymore and left and boy am I glad. Saving a fortune now on vodafone prepay as they always have good top up offers and good data pricing. I never spend more than €30 a month. I would of been spending a lot more than that on O2 as if I used data it was costing me €30 per month. Delighted O2 are losing customers as they are showing utter contempt to them over the last 2 years with the various things they have imposed on their customers, for example decreasing the data on their advance plans and then increasing the price in the middle of a recession.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Like the previous 2 posters, I too was a loyal O2/Digifone customer for 12 years and I am currently in the process of moving..

I can't deal with their rip off prices and generally condescending attitude towards customers any more.. Their support is a joke and their offerings and upgrades to customers are a complete insult..

If they aren't happy with my custom and my money, I'll gladly take it somewhere else and am in the process of doing so..

Yes its true that people only post when complaining, but the number of complaints towards O2 is growing rapidly, there was one thread on here not so long ago that went to something like 8 or 10 pages, the majority of posts on it being complaints..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

In the same boat as many others. Just left o2 to return to vodafone prepay after being with them for 5 years. The most infuriating thing was the coverage. Going between Cork, Dublin and Waterford a lot. Coverage in rural Waterford would just not do.
    Someone also said their customer service. Ring a number to be put through to another number to be put through to another number! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

pajor wrote: »
    In the same boat as many others. Just left o2 to return to vodafone prepay after being with them for 5 years. The most infuriating thing was the coverage. Going between Cork, Dublin and Waterford a lot. Coverage in rural Waterford would just not do.
    Someone also said their customer service. Ring a number to be put through to another number to be put through to another number! :confused:

Its no secret that Im not o2's greatest fan on boards.
    My wife is (stil) an o2 customer though, and like me had been loyal for the last 6 or 7 years. Right now her current contract expires on the 8th of Feb. She currently spends around 70 euro a month and had been locked into an 18 month contract.
    She called last night to enquire if, when contact expired would she get an upgrade.

Not currently entitled to one, call back at the end of Feb was her reply.

Shes visiting her friendly neighbourhood 3 store at the weekend to pick up her free I phone 4 at the weekend, and getting a way better deal into the bargain.

O2, you'd need to sit up and take notice pretty soon, how many more will leave before your pig headedness destroys you?

Firstly this is not meant to be just o2 losing customers. Its for all operators. I only put o2 up as they seem to be getting most flak here and 4 of my friends have left them lately all for 3 due mainly to their data allowances.

Gucky wrote: »
    Its no secret that Im not o2's greatest fan on boards.
    My wife is (stil) an o2 customer though, and like me had been loyal for the last 6 or 7 years. Right now her current contract expires on the 8th of Feb. She currently spends around 70 euro a month and had been locked into an 18 month contract.
    She called last night to enquire if, when contact expired would she get an upgrade.

I cant believe they told her come back the end of Feb. Although i have read lately they will not give anyone an upgrade until the contract expires. So if its 18months then you wont get upgrade for 18 months while before you would get one after 12months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

racer1 wrote: »

I cant believe they told her come back the end of Feb. Although i have read lately they will not give anyone an upgrade until the contract expires. So if its 18months then you wont get upgrade for 18 months while before you would get one after 12months.

That's true I had two iPhones with them over the years and always got an upgrade to the new model after 12 months when it was introduced. When it came to the iPhone 4 I had the 3GS for a year but when I tried to upgrade (for €259) I was told they had changed their policy and had to wait until the 18 months was up even though I wasn't under contract thanks to the Get Out of Contract Free shenanigans a while back. Went to local Vodafone store and got it for €129 with a better price plan AND 15% off my bills from an affinity scheme at work plus I get reception at work which I couldn't get with O2.
    If O2 put as much effort into customer retention as they do fannying about with fancy ad campaigns (and patting themselves on the back for it on Twitter) they wouldn't have the problems they have now.

What I dont understand is how can a company that in my opinion was the best mobile network in the country up until 2 or 3 years ago have gone from the best to the worst in such a short time. They had good plans and the best customer care. I still cant believe they dont have any prepay data bundles or add ons after 3 or 4 years of customers asking.

I hear from that vodafone have overtaken O2 ago to be the biggest network and apparently when the figures are released shortly O2 are going to have lost significant customers to competitors. They would want to change their top management fairly quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

woodzie wrote: »
    What I dont understand is how can a company that in my opinion was the best mobile network in the country up until 2 or 3 years ago have gone from the best to the worst in such a short time. They had good plans and the best customer care. I still cant believe they dont have any prepay data bundles or add ons after 3 or 4 years of customers asking.

I hear from that vodafone have overtaken O2 ago to be the biggest network and apparently when the figures are released shortly O2 are going to have lost significant customers to competitors. They would want to change their top management fairly quickly!

I'll answer that for you.

Greed, greed, and more fcuking greed

Also stubbornness, and pig headedness.

That's it really, takes a lot of money to finance that fancy arena in Dublin Docks too don't forget!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

woodzie wrote: »
    I hear from that vodafone have overtaken O2 ago to be the biggest network and apparently when the figures are released shortly O2 are going to have lost significant customers to competitors.

O2/Digifone never were Ireland's biggest network, it is now and always has been Vodafone/eircell by a comfortable margin.

I myself left O2 for 3 last summer due to them making it clear that they couldn't give a toss that I and countless many other customers was unhappy with their rip off prepay data pricing.

O2 became the biggest network with bill pay customers last year sometime. I remember it being on the news. However according to a friend who works in vodafone's head office who has seen the most up to date results on the irish market, O2 have lost significant amounts of customers to competitors and that vodafone have regained their position as thenetwork with the most bill pay customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

They overtook Vodafone in terms of billpay subscribers.
    However, in terms of total subscribers (billpay and prepay) Eircell/Vodafone have always been pretty well ahead of Digifone/O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

ya o2 are defo losing customers, i think meteor are losing customers too, im meteor and i think im guna switch to 3 aswell. they have better price plans and meteor are awful to deal with. takes ages to sort anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Have decided to also move from o2 to three.was initially going to buy a phone sim free and use current o2 billpay sim but it works out cheaper to buy my way out of contract,switch to better price plan on 3 and get a free brilliant smartphone.from reading different sites and listening to people in work, i think most people are unhappy at o2 and won't be long about switching to 3 for better value and service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I moved from O2 to 3 late last year and I should have done it before. Data coverage was shambolic with O2 so I left. Myself and my OH got out of our contracts and now are with 3 who are so much better and better value for money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I dont like billpay and am on pre-pay on O2 ..I would LOVE to for them have add-ons for data on pre-pay. Customers have been hounding them for over 4 years now so its not gonna happen. I am seriously thinking of jacking it and going to 3 network. I will be getting a lend of my sisters phone to see what the coverage is like in my are and if all is good both myself and she who must be obeyed will be changing. ;)

Was with o2 since day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I dont like billpay and am on pre-pay on O2 ..I would LOVE to for them have add-ons for data on pre-pay.

Vodafone do for this and you'll have coverage no matter where you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

pajor wrote: »
    Vodafone do for this and you'll have coverage no matter where you are!

Yes yes .. Vodafone crap coverage where I am...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

Yes yes .. Vodafone crap coverage where I am...

Well then you might have crap Three coverage cus they use voda's 2g network when your out of their 3g network's range.

Advertisement