Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Matador State Beach and too many *$&#(! people

• 11-01-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

So we decided to go to El Matador State Beach for sunset yesterday evening, and things started to go off from the minute we hit the sand down the roughly 1/4 mile walk w/stairs.

A. LOTS of people all about. No biggie, we've all got a right to be there.
    B. Group of about 10 people all shooting video of three teenage girls posing with red balloons and chasing them around the beach. Looked like a project of some sort. Annoying and getting in frame all the time.
    C. My g/f forgot the little grommet thingy that screws into the bottom of the camera and then clips into the tripod for her rig. I had mine. So I gave her mine and proceeded to shoot the rest of the evening by hand, something I haven't done in forever.
    D. People were letting their kids run AMOK and get into what were clearly photographers planned out angles, areas, shot, you-name-it.
    E. As darkness descended, and long exposure happiness set in, not only did I NOT have a tripod, people on the far end of the beach were using point and shoots with, of course, flashes.

That said, the LX5 has really impressed me with what it can do W/OUT a tripod. Speaks well for the camera.

That said, there are numerous rocks, arches, and massifs up and down the beach, which are nice, but I grew up in the Big Sur/Monterey area, so I've had a lifetime of seeing them

Right as one gets off the last steps, immediately to the right.

P10003111bllcshrtgrad.jpg

This happened a few times, and I have no explanation for it. The sun showed....green. Ruins an otherwise acceptable shot.

P10003091rtshlgradc75bl.jpg

Not this time.

P10003172blcroprtgradshc.jpg

Of course, there are a lot of gulls around, too. These guys seemed very used to people poking around.

P10003201blgraddeepsh.jpg

P10003191rtblgradshdeep.jpg

Even under the rocks, one cannot escape the footprints of other people

P1000313lcshblrt.jpg

Then, for my last shot of the evening, I get my tripod back but, this being L.A., w/LAX, contrails seem unavoidable.

P10003391blgradrtshdeep.jpg

Finally, just for screwing around purposes, I took one shot and tried to make it look like something from a 1970s rock album in the days of vinyl and vans with sunsets on the side.

Dig that heavy trip, man. And no HDR!

matadorLR.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mjollnir wrote: »
    D. People were letting their kids run AMOK and get into what were clearly photographers planned out angles, areas, shot, you-name-it.
    welcome to the human race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

This is disgraceful. I can't believe people bring children to a beach and then let them run around and enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Effects wrote: »
    This is disgraceful. I can't believe people bring children to a beach and then let them run around and enjoy themselves.

Oh, I don't mean to come off sounding like Scrooge but, for example, two photographers were both up on the same outcropping of rock, already set up to shoot some birds the next rock face over, and while some kids climbing up, through and past the photographers (literally going between their tripods and then forward into frame), two others were throwing rocks at the gulls in question.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had thought you were taking the piss, hence my neutral response.

you should have put up signs saying "SERIOUS PHOTOGRAPHER AT WORK" indicating which areas of the beach were off limits to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Oh, I don't mean to come off sounding like Scrooge but, for example, two photographers were both up on the same outcropping of rock, already set up to shoot some birds the next rock face over, and while some kids climbing up, through and past the photographers (literally going between their tripods and then forward into frame), two others were throwing rocks at the gulls in question.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
    Personally I would have the total opposite view. If I was a photographer shooting that I'd feel like the one who was bothering people by basically cutting off a corner of the beach to shoot where people then might feel intimidated if they went.

Throwing rocks at gulls is not on though.

Nice pics though. First and forth are probably my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

i had thought you were taking the piss, hence my neutral response.

you should have put up signs saying "SERIOUS PHOTOGRAPHER AT WORK" indicating which areas of the beach were off limits to others.

I would, but I'm not a serious photographer nor would I associate w/any ;-)

My tripod is, after all, covered in Hello Kitty stickers to piss off any serious photographers I do happen to run into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

[QUOTE=Mjollnir;70010492

My tripod is, after all, covered in Hello Kitty stickers to piss off any serious photographers I do happen to run into.[/QUOTE]

I love that idea! I might do that with mine! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Jim wrote: »
    Throwing rocks at gulls is not on though.

They were probably just trying to scare them out of the frame so as not to ruin the shot. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I love that idea! I might do that with mine! :P

Haha Id say me too but since I dont use one often I only have a cheapy that screams not serious about lanscape pics haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Nice shots! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement