Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buttercream receipes please

Options
  • 11-01-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Am going to make some cupcakes this weekend & want to make some buttercream to go on top (am bored of putting bailey's icing on them).

Thing is, I've yet to make buttercream where it is the right consistency AND tastes nice :confused: I followed Rachel Allen's receipe but it was too runny so put more icing sugar in to firm it up but then it went so sweet that my teeth hurt!
    If I buy a cupcake out in a cafe, there is a different taste from the icing they use - I'm guessing they use vanilla essence or vanilla extract (what is main difference between those two by the way?). Is that what gives it the more home-baked taste?

Any hints/tips appreciated, I'm considering doing a cupcake & icing course in Cooks Academy in Dublin (just a 2.5 hr class), but if I can master the icing myself then maybe I'll just save my pennies for something else ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

sorry i wont be much help buzz...i just lump a load of marg in to mixer add icing sugar just by eye and go by taste... a filling i use which ive also put on cupcakes is mushed up fresh strawberries add to the buttercream but again all done by sight and taste!

Cream cheese frosting is the one i always have problems with...always WAY to runny for piping!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

You've probably long ago made your cupcakes, but if you want a recipe for the next time, try Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It's not as sweet as simple buttercream (which I now cannot eat anymore 'cause I think it's far too sweet).
    Sorry, I haven't yet put a plain vanilla Swiss Buttercream there, but just leave out the chocolate in the recipe and add the seeds from 1 vanilla pod
    http://www.mandymortimer.com/devils-food-cupcakes/

Another great frosting is cream cheese frosting, great on carrot cake, red velvet, ginger, orange, apple or strawberry cake.
    http://www.mandymortimer.com/cream-cheese-frosting/

You can add pretty much any flavouring to simple buttercream (icing sugar, butter, milk/cream)
    Try a 1 tsp of instant coffee
    Zest from and orange or lemon
    1Tbsp Cocoa powder
    1tsp Mint extract
    1tsp Almond extract
    Fresh mashed strawberries

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

Cream cheese frosting is the one i always have problems with...always WAY to runny for piping!

I used to have that same problem but now I've worked out a way of getting firm cream cheese frosting.

Firstly, most recipes say to use room temp cream cheese, I now use cream cheese straight out of the fridge.

I also only leave the butter out for about an hour or 2 before using so it's still slightly firm.

I can't explain it, but I find that the more icing sugar you add, the less firm the frosting, so I use 2 cups icing sugar and no more (I find it sweet enough like that).

Give that a try and see if it helps, I frosted these cupcakes with cream cheese, and you can see one of the pics with horrible melting frosting was 'cause I used room temp cream cheese etc.
    http://www.mandymortimer.com/apple-cupcakes/

Advertisement