Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb mince - ideas please

Options
  • 11-01-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So I bought lamb mince.

I could make lovely lamb burgers but I've been there and done that and would like to do something different.

I also want to avoid the lamb bolognese thing too if I can :D

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Lamb lasagna. Bloody delish!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Keema Matar, Indian minced lamb curry with peas. Google it, there's plenty of recipes, and don't skimp on the coriander :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Spiked kebabs

Get your mits on some skewers, wooden or metal. Soak them if wooden.

Whack this lot into the mince
    Sumac
    Ground Cummin
    Ground Coriander
    Minced garlic
    Greek Yoghurt
    Lemon juice (and/or sumac if you got it)
    1 egg yolk

Mix-o-moocho, mould into Sausages and stick them on the skewers - grill

Warm Flat breads (Middle Eastern store - not that crud outta Tesco) and coleslaw or Humous (yer own...not that crud outta anywhere!!) and your home in a boat.

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Lamb meatballs . Breadcrumbs,eggs,mince,herbs,onions,garlic yum tum. finish in tinned tomtoes,basil,garlic,olive oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I'll second the lamb skewers....I do mine with salt, pepper, chopped red chili, chopped red onion, crushed garlic and chopped coriander. Do all the above in fine dice, and mush well into the ground lamb with your hands. Leave it to meld for an hour or so. Spend thirty minutes of that hour endeavouring to get lamb fat off your hands. Then smoosh the meat around your skewers and grill. They're best on the barbeque but under the kitchen grill is a reasonable substitute. Watch the kitchen grill like a hawk, they'll flame up in a heartbeat. We tend to let them do that on the outdoor grill, you get nice charred patches and it scares the hell out of the neighbouring cats, but obviously this is less desirable in your kitchen. Open the back door if you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So I bought lamb mince.

I could make lovely lamb burgers but I've been there and done that and would like to do something different.

I also want to avoid the lamb bolognese thing too if I can :D

Any ideas?

The obvious thing is Shepherds Pie. It's supposed to be made with lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,497 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

emaleth wrote: »
    I'll second the lamb skewers....I do mine with salt, pepper, chopped red chili, chopped red onion, crushed garlic and chopped coriander. Do all the above in fine dice, and mush well into the ground lamb with your hands. Leave it to meld for an hour or so. Spend thirty minutes of that hour endeavouring to get lamb fat off your hands. Then smoosh the meat around your skewers and grill. They're best on the barbeque but under the kitchen grill is a reasonable substitute. Watch the kitchen grill like a hawk, they'll flame up in a heartbeat.

Pretty much like that, we like a sheek kebab. After processing all ingredients in a food processor (minced fine), I let it marinate in the fridge for 3 hours, roll it into balls of about 15-20g and then add 4 or 5 balls to a skewer and then roll the skewer in my flat hands to make it more uniform

I don't grill them, but instead roast them for 20 minutes in a 180c fan oven turning once. Won't burn, will be juicier, but yes will retain more fat. Don't overdo the green chillies and make sure you have a dip of mint sauce combined with natural yoghurt at hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

coming from an arab household and growing up eating lots of lovely things with lamb mince one of my favourites is...

sweat off a finely chopped onion in a little oil, add some chopped garlic and your lamb mince, throw in a good handful of raisins, add chopped parsley and a little fresh/dried mint.. you can add a little chilli too if you like...i tend to water down a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree just to kind of bind everything together but it's not necessary, you could always throw in a little pomegranate syrup if you so wish (adds a great bittery flavour)..

now, if you have done all of this in an oven proof frying pan then fantastic, if not (like me) transfer to an oven tray (so the meat mix is about 1 1/2 inches deep), make a little well for each person you're serving and crack an egg into each one :eek: stick them in the oven on a medium-high heat for about 20mins ish or until you can see the eggs are cooked and eat with flat bread, hummus and salad!

to stretch out the mince a bit you can mix spinach in with it and just add a small bit of ground cinnamon!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Some great ideas there everyone, thanks all! :)

I think I'll try your suggestion first tfak85, sounds great! Then buy more lamb mince and try the rest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Tis is a south african dish,originally from malaysia called babotie i think. Apologies if i am wrong

You will need
    -1 lb minced lamb(fried off and drained of excess fat)
    -1 good sized onion(chopped)
    -1 tablespoon of green or red curry paste(i prefer red)
    -2 tablespoons mango chutney
    -juice of one lemon
    -4 tablespoons ground almonds
    -2 tablespoons sultanas

_fry onion
    _add mince
    _add curry paste
    _add mango chutney
    _add lemon juice
    _add almonds and sultanas

cook for 8-10 mins and transfer to casserole dish

for the topping
    -melt 100 g of block coconut in 200ml of boiling water
    -allow to cool for 10 or 15 mins
    -beat in 2 eggs and season with salt ,pepper and a little sugar
    -pour on top of mince
    -decorate with a few bay leaves
    -bake for 30 to 35 mins at 180

Serve with rice,crusty bread and roasted butternut squash

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I just posted this on another cooking site, so thought I'd share it here too - my mousska :)

Here we go (there are two topping sauces here, one low carb, one 'normal' - choose according to preference!)

For the meat part:

1 lb minced/ground lamb
    1 large aubergine/eggplant OR 2 large courgettes/zucchini OR 2 medium potatoes
    2 cloves garlic
    1 400g tin chopped tomatoes, drained (reserve the juice)
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    1 tsp (or more according to taste) ground cinnamon
    1 lamb or beef stock cube (I use Knorr)
    Ground black pepper, to taste

Begin by frying off the lamb over a medium heat until browned - if a lot of fat comes out of it, drain some off - minced lamb can be rather fatty. Peel, squish and chop the garlic, and add to the mince, then cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle over the cinnamon, so it soaks up any pan juices, then add the tinned tomatoes, the tomato puree and the crumbled stock cube, and bring to a simmer. Check for consistency - if it seems too dry, add in a little of the reserved tomato juice, or use red wine instead, if you like it. Grind some black pepper into the pan, and taste for seasoning, adjust accordingly.

Put the meat mixture into an ovenproof casserole dish.

Slice the aubergine, or courgette, or potatoes fairly thinly - less than 1/4" thick - and fry them in some olive oil until done - ie, they've gone a little golden. Some people hate aubergines, others hate aubergines and courgettes, most people like potatoes - I've had all three versions in Cyprus, so I guess they're all acceptable - up to you which you use, but it's aubergines every time for me!

Drain the veg on some kitchen paper to remove excess oil, then place in a layer (or layers) on top of the meat in the dish.

Topping 1

Butter or olive oil
    Flour
    Milk
    3 eggs
    Optional cheese

I can't give quantities here because I just 'feel' it as I make it - if you're stuck, look up a basic white sauce recipe on Google, and use the suggested amounts! Either melt the butter (probably about 2 oz), or heat the olive oil in a pan - add the flour (probably a tablespoon or so) and stir in, allow to cook for a short time until you have a thick paste. Gradually add the milk, whisking to incorporate it every time, and avoiding lumps. Keep doing this until you have a thickish white sauce. At this point you can choose to add cheese or not - I often add a handful of grated cheddar, or some crumbled feta - but it's your decision. Authentic moussaka is, I believe, cheeseless.

Take the sauce off the heat and allow it to cool. Whisk 3 eggs, and add them to the sauce mixture when it's cool enough to prevent them cooking. You should have a nice glossy sauce, which you then pour over the meat and veg in the casserole dish. Either top with grated cheese, or perhaps a sprinkle of freshly ground nutmeg.

Sauce 2 (the low carb version - remember NOT to use potatoes as your veg!)

3 eggs
    250 ml double/heavy cream
    Optional cheese

Whisk the eggs, add the cream and mix. If using cheese, add it, then pour everything over the meat and veg in the dish.

Put the whole thing into an oven at 180 degrees C (sorry, don't have conversion tables handy) and bake until lightly browned and bubbling - probably about 40 mins.

Serve by itself, or with a Greek salad, or perhaps some crusty bread to soak up the juices.

Comments: no, I didn't forget onions, I don't use onions in this. Also, DO take the time to drain the fat off the meat, and DO make sure to get rid of excess oil from the veg - this dish can end up swimming in grease (as opposed to Greece - haha, I kill myself sometimes!) if you don't.

Finally - if you try this, please come back and let me know what you thought of it - I love it, but am aware there's always room for improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

nompere wrote: »
    The obvious thing is Shepherds Pie. It's supposed to be made with lamb.

ur correct . cottage pie is beef , lamb is shepherds. we tend to call it all shepherds pie :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Samosas!
    Throw in a loada spices (garam masala, tumeric, cumin, all the usual curry stuffs), fry, wrap in filo pastry triangles and shallow fry again!

Not exactly healthy, but blimmin delish :D

(Im sure theres healthier/possibly tastier versions than this but i love em~! Fab snackage)

Advertisement