Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been gifted a Apple Airport Express - Options ?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Guys ,
    I have been gifted a second hand Apple Airport Express Base station and I am looking for advice .

I want to put this to good use at home.

I have read up on what this device is capable of but would like advice on what my options are , and any hints or tips you may have .

I am currently with with UPC and have a 20mb package and a Netgear wireless router .
    I have a iPhone 3GS and iTunes 9 on my Laptop .

How can I integrate this Apple Airport Express into my current setup , and what can it do to get the best from it ?

Ta
    M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

have no clue myself but you may get better help in the
    apple media devices forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I believe it will have the same functionality as your Netgear router/wireless device, in theory you can configure it and swap it with your Netgear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

dunworth1 wrote: »
    have no clue myself but you may get better help in the
    apple media devices forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I believe it will have the same functionality as your Netgear router/wireless device, in theory you can configure it and swap it with your Netgear.

Thanks Guys.

I have it working great .

I downloaded the latest software utilities and updated the firmware on the Airport device .
    I then added it to my existing wireless network (great feature) and now have it plugged in upstairs .
    It is hooked into my BOSE Speaker via 3mm sound cable which is now linked to my iTunes on my Laptop.
    I also downloaded "Remote" App for my iPhone 3GS which essentially gives me my iTunes account thats on my Laptop on my Phone over my WiFi network.

So I can walk around the house and play whatever i want from my Laptop music collection from my phone .

It also works as a Wireless "N" router which is great backup in-case my Netgear goes down .

I am now actually thinking of purchasing one myself for another room/set of speakers .

Happy out .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Don't introduce too many wireless devices or your signals will overlap and interfere giving You nothing but problems. You need to be very careful what channels You use.

Take it that there are 11 channels (13 in Europe but USA devices only see 1-11), if You put one "g" device on channel 1, put another on channel 11 and they shouldn't cause problems as there's no overlap. You could add a 3rd "g" device on channel 6 and it wouldn't overlap. Adding an "n" or super "g" device on channel 6 will overlap with both signals as it bonds two channels together, it can actually spread out across all 11 channels

agder_56.gif

Advertisement