Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have NO proof of address.

Options
  • 11-01-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I wasn't working for the past few months. All my Welfare payments were owed as soon as they were collected so I wasn't using my bank account. The problem is bank policy requires that if an account has been dormant for six months it has to be reactivated. I need a passport and a utility bill. Therein lies the issue. I have literally nothing at all. No ESB, Phone, Credit Union etc. The girl at the bank told me my voting certificate or something would suffice. Neither of us were particularly sure so can anyone shed some light on this for me. What do I need to ask for or does anyone know what else might suffice. I know any government letter will do but the SWelfare say they can't issue anything as proof of address since it's past six months and as far as they know I could have moved. Help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

If you own where you live, your deeds will have it?

If you share/rent then your landlord can give you proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Crasp wrote: »
    If you own where you live, your deeds will have it?

If you share/rent then your landlord can give you proof?
    Hi Crasp cheers. No unfortunately I don't. I'm living at home thus the lack of utility bills. I mean I've the same name as my dad but that would be fraud in my book.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are you registered to vote? If so, your bank can go to www.checktheregister.ie and enter your details, when they find your name etc, they can print off that page and that will suffice. I've done this loads of times in work, it's great since you can check it online. The only thing is if there's a typo on your name on the electoral register it can cause hassle, because they have to search for your name exactly as it appears on the register, so if they've left out an i or something, it can make things awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Hi Crasp cheers. No unfortunately I don't. I'm living at home thus the lack of utility bills. I mean I've the same name as my dad but that would be fraud in my book.

That probably would be fraud. Bring your dad and his proof of address and get him to vouch for you :)

Or get the bank to post you a letter, then bring them the letter.

Toots* wrote: »
    Are you registered to vote? If so, your bank can go to www.checktheregister.ie and enter your details, when they find your name etc, they can print off that page and that will suffice. I've done this loads of times in work, it's great since you can check it online. The only thing is if there's a typo on your name on the electoral register it can cause hassle, because they have to search for your name exactly as it appears on the register, so if they've left out an i or something, it can make things awkward.
    Yeah but where's the proof that I live there? That's what makes the whole thing a little bit farcical. Since I registered with my home address I've had three addresses in France, two in Limerick and three in Dublin. This utility bill business is gas (no pun intended). Even if I had a utility bill from the past six months I could have moved three months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Was in a similar situation many moons ago. I used a parent as a guarantor.

Funnily enough when i moved back to ireland i had this issue. Person in the bank just sent a letter to the address i said i was living at and opened a bank account that way, not sure how sound that approach was but wasnt my problem, the bank were happy enough with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

A lot of people these days dont have utility bills

Their utilities may be prepay or online billed or in some one elses (housemate/landlords/parents) name.

I suspect its a very common problem. Recent legislation requiring new customers to prove they are not (the wrong kind of) terrorists or money launderers makes it even more hasstle.

If a bank (or whoever) doesnt believe one lives where they say they do surely a letter to the claimed address that one can then bring into the branch or sign and return should be the simplest way of clearing the matter up ?

But "computer says no" apparently :(

daithijjj wrote: »
    Was in a similar situation many moons ago. I used a parent as a guarantor.

Funnily enough when i moved back to ireland i had this issue. Person in the bank just sent a letter to the address i said i was living at and opened a bank account that way, not sure how sound that approach was but wasnt my problem, the bank were happy enough with it.
    I actually considered that. I felt a little bit silly suggesting it to the girl at the bank though since she didn't seem to think of it but I need the account so might be an option.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    A lot of people these days dont have utility bills

Their utilities may be prepay or online billed or in some one elses (housemate/landlords/parents) name.

I suspect its a very common problem.

If a bank (or whoever) doesnt believe one lives where they say they do surely a letter to the claimed address that one can then bring into the branch or sign and return should be the simplest way of clearing the matter up ?

But "computer says no" apparently :(
    Especially these days Mike, a lot of people are living back home having had to cancel mobile contracts and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

daithijjj wrote: »

That is what I was going to suggest. If your current address is the address registered with your bank, can you not order a statement for the account?

Even if that is not good enough, you can use the statement as proof of address to register to vote from that address, thus putting you on the electoral registrar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Yeah but where's the proof that I live there? That's what makes the whole thing a little bit farcical. Since I registered with my home address I've had three addresses in France, two in Limerick and three in Dublin. This utility bill business is gas (no pun intended). Even if I had a utility bill from the past six months I could have moved three months ago.

If you are on the electoral register at an address you, technically, must live there so I should be acceptable to them. Ask them and see if it will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Bank can accept an "ML10" form - which you can get from your Garda Station or - your Driving Licence has your address on it which they can accept as address verification and use Passport as identification.

dotsman wrote: »
    That is what I was going to suggest. If your current address is the address registered with your bank, can you not order a statement for the account?

Even if that is not good enough, you can use the statement as proof of address to register to vote from that address, thus putting you on the electoral registrar.
    No sorry dotsman I think I might have given the reverse end of the stick. I am on the electoral registrar. I'm trying to use that to reactivate my bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    If you are on the electoral register at an address you, technically, must live there.

So nobody is allowed to move house (or die) while the current register is in force ?

Actually the state of the electoral register in Ireland has been a big issue for a long time. Lots of people arent on it. Other people are on it twice (or more) and not out of any intent to commit electorl fraud on their part (I know someone who through some administrative mix-up had both the Irish and English forms of their name on there) Some people have remained on it for years after moving abroad or passing away. Others prefer to vote at their home (parents) address rather than their actual address (Understandable for students or those employed on short contract but a bit silly for people who hvent been home for years on end) And many people (out of quite legitimate privacy concerns) have opted out of being included on the published version ("edited") of the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I mean I've the same name as my dad but that would be fraud in my book.

It might be a misrepresentation (to use your father's ID) but unless you are going to defraud the other party out of money then it is not fraud. You are only seeking to access what is rightfully yours so by no definition of the word does that constitute fraud, nobody is going to lose so it can't be fraud.

If telling a porky was 'fraud' then the prisons would be full of auctioneers and car salesmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

No sorry dotsman I think I might have given the reverse end of the stick. I am on the electoral registrar. I'm trying to use that to reactivate my bank account.

And have you told your bank to check the registrar. As far as I know, that should be enough (but certainly, between them checking the registrar and you having a recent bank statement for that address should certainly be enough).

dotsman wrote: »
    And have you told your bank to check the registrar. As far as I know, that should be enough (but certainly, between them checking the registrar and you having a recent bank statement for that address should certainly be enough).
    No they told me I had to ask the registrar for proof. I'm just a bit worried because the Social Welfare told me they can't issue such proof because they can't be sure I'm at the address I provided to them a year ago. What are the council going to say when I've even lived outside the country since I registered to vote? Man what a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Last year i opened a new account and had to bring with me passport and a proof of address with me
    Had the same problem as you but took an official letter from the SW with me with my current address on it and that was okay with them

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

If you have only been out of work for a few months, shouldn't you still have recieved a P60?

Also when I was drawing down my mortgage AIB wouldn't accept there own bank statements as proof of address:eek: How ridiculous is that!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I've recently had similar problem myself, and was searching for various ways to get proof. I came across a way on here, i think in the acomodation and property section. Can't remember the exact details but I think involved getting some sort of balancing statement from the revenue, assuming the address you want proof for is where they have you registered. Another option might be to buy something cheap online say from amazon and then use the invoice, although they may not accept this. Otherwise best option is probably to try get them to send you a letter of some sort.

• Advertisement

MardiB wrote: »
    If you have only been out of work for a few months, shouldn't you still have recieved a P60?

Also when I was drawing down my mortgage AIB wouldn't accept there own bank statements as proof of address:eek: How ridiculous is that!!!!
    No my bank account was dormant for over six months I'm out of work for longer. My P60 is dated before the required time. Yep would you believe a letter from AIB came in the door today with my new PAC number and the girl on the phone said it's not valid grrrrrr.

I think what gets me the most is that if it was a good way of proving residency I'd say something but it's not. My sister hasn't lived at home in three years and her bank, Vodafone and Credit Union correspondence still come here so it's not of if these things are clad iron proof of residency. My last hope is the council tomorrow so wish me luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, will you FFS stop dragging this saga out, bring your father's ID down to the bank and stopping flapping around.

You will not be defrauding anyone out of any money, it's your money you're looking to access so put your worries aside and go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, will you FFS stop dragging this saga out, bring your father's ID down to the bank and stopping flapping around.

You will not be defrauding anyone out of any money, it's your money you're looking to access so put your worries aside and go for it.

It is fraud (intentional misrepresentation). He is trying to gain access to a service provided by the bank. By assuming a false identity (his father's) to gain access to that service he would be committing a fraud.

That being said, do it, as unless you have a shady history, it's likely the bank will not look further into whatever you bring as proof of address. They'll take a scan of it and it won't ever be looked at again. If you really feel insecure about it you can close the account next time you get a letter from a govt. agency and open a new one using that as valid proof of address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 esus

i cant remember if i am correct on the name of the form or not, i think it is
    a v10 form, available in your local Garda station

take two pass port photos with you , and the gard on the desk will stamp photos and form to valididtae who you are, i had to do this to open my credit union account,

however . some garda members like the one i met first wouldnt sign as he wanted proof of adress, so what u should do , is go to the station ask for the form, ( v10 i thinkit called, if the guy on duty is any bit helpful he will tell u the correct name, of form. ) ask him what he needs and go back to same garda as sson as u get what he needs, as soon as u have this form stamped, no one can refuse it as legal identification,

i opened my credit union account with ot, and they were strict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

No my bank account was dormant for over six months I'm out of work for longer. My P60 is dated before the required time. Yep would you believe a letter from AIB came in the door today with my new PAC number and the girl on the phone said it's not valid grrrrrr.

I think what gets me the most is that if it was a good way of proving residency I'd say something but it's not. My sister hasn't lived at home in three years and her bank, Vodafone and Credit Union correspondence still come here so it's not of if these things are clad iron proof of residency. My last hope is the council tomorrow so wish me luck.

Go to local welfare office and request them to send you a letter with you own PPS, this will do.

coylemj wrote: »

Yes I've told two different bank employees who know me by sight that I have NO proof of address and all of a sudden I have a credit union letter. Good plan. If you've no constructive contribution would you mind not offering any!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

just request a balancing statement from revenue and that will do it. You should have it in a few days.

Sweet merciful heavens. I went in today with a previously rejected HSE letter. I had a whole shpeel ready about them being a government department and this that and the other and before the words could fall out of my mouth a third 'older' employee said 'no problem'. She also told me that I was incorrectly advised by head branch concerning the status of my account and 'don't mind dem'.

I was close to making a formal complaint but I was more relieved than anything. I think a letter to customer care would suffice since god knows I wouldn't wish it on anyone else. So for other people.

HSE
    Department of Social Welfare

ARE ACCEPTABLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

makes sense. I working in banking and have never come across that "reactivation policy". Six months isn't long.

Driving licence is proof of address too. Once it hasn't been used for identification purposes.

As for check the register, the bank check it themselves and print off the entry with your name + address on it.

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    makes sense. I working in banking and have never come across that "reactivation policy". Six months isn't long.

Driving licence is proof of address too. Once it hasn't been used for identification purposes.

As for check the register, the bank check it themselves and print off the entry with your name + address on it.
    To be honest I'm fairly sure I was fed more than my fair share of horse s**t in the last couple of days.

Advertisement