Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassoulet.......

Options
  • 11-01-2011 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

...anyone here have any experience cooking this classic? I had a whack at it at the weekend and found it to be truely a dish handed down from God. If you're a calorie counter ......stay away from this baby!

Slam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's one of my favourite dishes to cook. Tricky to get the crust right but by god, when it's good it's really good.

Did you use haricot or flagolet beans? I found haricot broke up too easily

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Recipe... Please?

This is a close approximation to what my recipe is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

duploelabs wrote: »
    It's one of my favourite dishes to cook. Tricky to get the crust right but by god, when it's good it's really good.

Did you use haricot or flagolet beans? I found haricot broke up too easily

Flagolet - they stand up better to the cooking I found. Yip - a cracker of a dish that needs more publicity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've had this recipe a few times, it's more based on cassoulet than anything else! But you get that beaney, sausagey hit. And it's lower in calories and very quick to make.
    http://icanhascook.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/snowed-in-sausage-and-bean-bake-thingy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I love this dish. You can buy fantastic tins of it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

If you're ever in Boro Market in London they have a place that sells the bean mix in large jars that you tehn ad you meats to - very good aswell.....but takes away a little from teh pomp and circumstance of making your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Swampy wrote: »
    I love this dish. You can buy fantastic tins of it online.

Linky?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

olaola wrote: »
    I've had this recipe a few times, it's more based on cassoulet than anything else! But you get that beaney, sausagey hit. And it's lower in calories and very quick to make.
    http://icanhascook.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/snowed-in-sausage-and-bean-bake-thingy/

But that has no duck in it:eek:

But that has no duck in it:eek:
    down with this sort of thing, and also, in cans?!?! seriously?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I have many cans in the cupboard - the reason they are still there is the cassoulet isn't great from a can. (BTW this isn't a 400g can like a tin of tomatoes - this comes in huge cans). On opening a can of cassoulet, the first thing that enters my head is Chum - the Pedigree variety (it's the arome). The mass of beans and meats is well packed in there and I find it almost impossible to heat it without it turning into a generic mishmash of beany meaty beans with bones. The canned variety is a bit like oxtail - desire it every now n' then, but once I've had it, that's me good for another six months. Never made it from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minder wrote: »
    I have many cans in the cupboard - the reason they are still there is the cassoulet isn't great from a can. (BTW this isn't a 400g can like a tin of tomatoes - this comes in huge cans). On opening a can of cassoulet, the first thing that enters my head is Chum - the Pedigree variety (it's the arome). The mass of beans and meats is well packed in there and I find it almost impossible to heat it without it turning into a generic mishmash of beany meaty beans with bones. The canned variety is a bit like oxtail - desire it every now n' then, but once I've had it, that's me good for another six months. Never made it from scratch.

Canned cassoulet = yeuch:eek:

But canned confit duck is pretty good.

Although, I find that slow roasting the duck legs aint that dissimilar from confit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

It really depends what part of France you are in - be it sausage or duck based cassoulet.
    I did an Irish version thats fairly straight forward

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056110555&highlight=cassoulet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Linky?.

This is where I buy a few bits and pieces http://www.thegoodfoodnetwork.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Minder wrote: »

I've had some fantastic cassoulet from clear resealable jars. No smell of Chum. Bought a few jars in Castelnaudary, really lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've had some fantastic cassoulet from clear resealable jars. No smell of Chum. Bought a few jars in Castelnaudary, really lovely.

You can buy something like from sheridans cheese mongers in Galway, about 1kg in a jar, enough for 2 I guess, It's ok, but not worth the €7 or whatever it is they charge for it.

I get it now and then when I want a fix and am too lazy to make it myself :o

Advertisement