Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent Allowance - Moving Residence Q

• 11-01-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently on rent allowance but will most likely be moving to a totally different area in the next couple of months. Just wondering if I could get my rent allowance "transfered" (like you can do with the dole) to my new area, or do I have to cancel my current allowance and apply in the new area again with a new means test, waiting times etc.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

firstly you have no automatic entitlement to rent allowance. just because you are getting it in your current location doesnt mean automatic entitlement somewhere else. swa payments are slightly different from sw payments in that the cwo does have some discretion whereas sw is operated under strictly laid down guidelines. the best thing to do is to visit the cwo in the area you intend to move too, and sound him/her out about your intentions. he/she will be able to give you the lowdown. different areas pay different amounts for your circumstances, dublin and kildare being the most generous because the rent in those two counties is so much higher. in alot of areas and in the rules it says that you must be renting for 6 months but where i live that is not a condition. the cwo just requires that you be assesed as in need of housing by the town/county council and that you had been in a position to pay the rent ie have a job when you first took on the property. there is no doubt that it is becoming increasingly tricky to get tent allowance so please look before you leap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    firstly you have no automatic entitlement to rent allowance. just because you are getting it in your current location doesnt mean automatic entitlement somewhere else. swa payments are slightly different from sw payments in that the cwo does have some discretion whereas sw is operated under strictly laid down guidelines. the best thing to do is to visit the cwo in the area you intend to move too, and sound him/her out about your intentions. he/she will be able to give you the lowdown. different areas pay different amounts for your circumstances, dublin and kildare being the most generous because the rent in those two counties is so much higher. in alot of areas and in the rules it says that you must be renting for 6 months but where i live that is not a condition. the cwo just requires that you be assesed as in need of housing by the town/county council and that you had been in a position to pay the rent ie have a job when you first took on the property. there is no doubt that it is becoming increasingly tricky to get tent allowance so please look before you leap.
    Thanks for the reply.

I know I'm not auto entitled to rent allowance. I'm living in D8 atm and looking to move to D16 and so my rent will be going down quite significantly. I'm still in the same position financially as I was when I applied for rent allowance originally in my current place so I assume all is good there.

It's really just the wait time I was worried about. If I move and then have to be fully reassessed etc and have to wait 2 months to get the allowance I'll be pretty screwed.

Advertisement