Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realistic House Price in Castleknock Area

Options
  • 11-01-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi all,

can anyone shed some light on Realistic House Price in Castleknock Area for 3 bed semi-detached house? Consider the house is in Average condition (which might need bit of refurbishment) what could be good price to offer on it?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Realistic by what standard though?

What the vendor thinks is realistic?
    What you think is a realistic?
    How much you can afford?
    How much lenders are willing to offer?
    How much it cost to build?

Realistic is in the eye of the beholder.

Ps: 150 - 170k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

Zamboni wrote: »
    Realistic by what standard though?

What the vendor thinks is realistic?
    What you think is a realistic?
    How much you can afford?
    How much lenders are willing to offer?
    How much it cost to build?

Realistic is in the eye of the beholder.

Ps: 150 - 170k :)

Yes. Realistic in terms of honest market price irrespective of vendor/buyer/lender/builder etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

What's the asking price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

realism is in short supply in ireland in general, and more so in the housing market.

check out a website called 'the property pin' and ask your question under the 'sell, buy or rent' forum. you will need to put up a link to the property in question so people can make an assessment.

athtrasna wrote: »
    What's the asking price?

Please check - http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=566737

and

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=571066

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

zulfikarMD wrote: »

They're not really in Castleknock, are they...

Yes first one is castleknock..second one you can say carpenterstown, Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I lived around the corner and you'd be shocked how many people told me I lived in Blanchardstown :rolleyes:

Anyway - for the first house ( which is tiny ) I reckon 100 to 120 at best by the time this sh1t all ends ( and I think I ma being generous ).

I sold a 4 bedder about 1300 sq ft completely refurb'd to a high standard - around the corner from there in April 09 for 390k.

Now at that time people told me I sold too low, however some similar houses for sale at the time have since come down asking below what we sold for. So I can't imagine what they actually got!

Anyway - the property pin has a good indepth explaination why property has a long way to fall here, and I think you'd be mad to buy at the mo but here is a brief synopsis of some of those reasons ...

Unemployment rising
    Emmigration rising
    Banks not lending
    when they do, interest rates will be rising
    NAMA has a couple of hundred k houses on its books, soon as they come on the market - BIG trouble for house prices
    Banks have not yet started repossesing ( really ) and thats before recent budget pain - when they do - BIG trouble for house prices
    Lastly - in every other housing price crash houses have returned to their rightfull place ( i.e last non buble price + inflation ) - check out how far we are from there now !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

These were around 34K in Irish Punts back in 1987 when they were built I believe, so around 43K in Euros, just to put it into perspective.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Check out the ceiling in the kitchen of house number 2. Looks like someone ripped it off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Wow - can't believe they're looking for those prices in those locations. I would be looking to take at least 50k off each. I think the Castleknock address is disingenuous in both as well, even the first. I know the train line is generally seen as the boundary between Castleknock and Blanch but the Laurel Lodge area is so big, and so far from Castleknock Village...I wouldn't pay a premium for the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

dory wrote: »
    Check out the ceiling in the kitchen of house number 2. Looks like someone ripped it off!

Or had a leak this winter....

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

That second house in Maple Glen is also up for rent for €900 a month! I no those houses and the area there in its laurel lodge D15 no Castleknock on the address what so ever! If you were buying in the village itself it would be failry hefty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Im always at how big castleknock is sometimes..its so big its nearly clonsilla at this stage.

In all seriousness those properties are overpriced by at least 50K.

blondie7 wrote: »
    That second house in Maple Glen is also up for rent for €900 a month! I no those houses and the area there in its laurel lodge D15 no Castleknock on the address what so ever! If you were buying in the village itself it would be failry hefty.

Agreed. Its closer to Lauren Lodge but i guess Laurel Lodge is part of Castleknock and not a separate area..isn't it?

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Im always at how big castleknock is sometimes..its so big its nearly clonsilla at this stage.

I have seen people living much closer to Blanch then Castleknock writing Castleknock, D 15 in their address.:rolleyes:

And I agree with you that those prices are higher by atleast 50K..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I have seen people living much closer to Blanch then Castleknock writing Castleknock, D 15 in their address.:rolleyes:

And I agree with you that those prices are higher by atleast 50K..

In fairness that dates back to decades ago when the builders of those estates got them classified as being in the Castleknock Borough to raise the asking prices and make them seem upper class. Those who bought back then were told it was addressed Castleknock and addressed it so, why would they change the habit of writing it as their address? I wouldn't go rolling my eyes at them tbh.

As for the houses linked above, I'd definitely offer €50k+ less than the asking price, sadly it doesnt guarantee they'd sell it for that or that you'd be the highest offer but definitely worth a try and I'd stick to your guns too in case there's any phantom bidders.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dory wrote: »
    As the bathroom is directly above it, I'd say a puddle formed, and the roof caved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭podger456

Jaysoose wrote: »

Having lived near the second, 150k is enough IMHO, i.e. 3 times a good salary for an average area and house; about a third of net sal over a reasonable 20 year term, sounds about where it should be for my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You need to define what your referring to when you say Castleknock

The Village
    The Townland,
    The DED
    The barony
    The Parish

Because each one is different. Whats the Castleknock Borough thats a new one on me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement