Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Battery

• 11-01-2011 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

My battery went this morning. I didn't use my bike hyosung gt125r much over christmas. Is there any quick way to get it going.

Cheers,
    Snickers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Push start it if the battery is too weak to start it, jump start it if its too weak to spark the plugs, charge it otherwise, replace it if it was left too empty too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

push start it and Pop it into second, mind you dont over rev it when you get it going though. Best of luck with it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Chapo

Cold weather kills a battey. Normally battery life is only about 3 years, unless you use a 'battery minder'. This is connected to the battery when you won't be using the bike for a few days. Aldi/Lidl have these on sale from time to time - a great investment.
    Did you try a jump start? Most bikes are now 12 volts, same as cars. Just check the side of battery for 12V and ignore any other data. Connect proper jump leads with the red lead to car + and the other end to the bike + . The black lead connects car - to the bike -.
    Before you do this it is beneficial but not essential to remove the spark plug(s), dry them and replace. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Chapo wrote: »
    Cold weather kills a battey. Normally battery life is only about 3 years, unless you use a 'battery minder'. This is connected to the battery when you won't be using the bike for a few days. Aldi/Lidl have these on sale from time to time - a great investment.
    Did you try a jump start? Most bikes are now 12 volts, same as cars. Just check the side of battery for 12V and ignore any other data. Connect proper jump leads with the red lead to car + and the other end to the bike + . The black lead connects car - to the bike -.
    Before you do this it is beneficial but not essential to remove the spark plug(s), dry them and replace. Best of luck.

Don't have the car running if your going to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kokopelli

I've seen small batteries go on fire when jump started by large capacity batteries.......so beware :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

Kokopelli wrote: »
    I've seen small batteries go on fire when jump started by large capacity batteries.......so beware :eek:

Tripe. The battery will only draw what it needs from the bigger one like the other guy said don't have the car running though

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Probably too late, just remember if the bike is an older model it could be 6V. All car batteries are 12V some 4X4's are even 24V.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

It's defo 12 v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Chapo

Hey Snickers, any luck with your bike starting problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

on chargers, invest in an optimate, they are the best imo. you get what you pay for with them.

good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

on chargers, invest in an optimate, they are the best imo. you get what you pay for with them.

good luck!

I'll second that great charger trouble free can be left on to trickle if not used over winter and don't use a car charger for the bike battery

Advertisement