Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connemara Adventure Challenge 7/5/2011

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

3 stars (average)
    For the bike section - are people planning on using cleats or just sticking with the one pair of shoes for the whole day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

3 stars (average)
    kensey wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Killary provide shower facilities or the likes prior to the afterparty or is it a case of a few pints and banter after the event? Just curious to know. Hope everyone is looking forward to this!

I dont think they provided showers but there was an after party at the centre last year with a DJ and also music outside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

Fi H wrote: »
    I dont think they provided showers but there was an after party at the centre last year with a DJ and also music outside!

Nice if it's a day like today!

Keedowah wrote: »
    For the bike section - are people planning on using cleats or just sticking with the one pair of shoes for the whole day?

I'm sticking to the one pair of faithful runners for the day. Will try my best to keep dry getting in and out of the kayak. The bike section isn't long enough to wear cleats IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

4 stars (good)
    kensey wrote: »
    I'm sticking to the one pair of faithful runners for the day. Will try my best to keep dry getting in and out of the kayak. The bike section isn't long enough to wear cleats IMO

Will be taking my shoes & socks off before the kayak, back on afterwards to avoid getting them & wet and producing blisters.

Will be taking my shoes & socks off before the kayak, back on afterwards to avoid getting them & wet and producing blisters.

That's a good idea considering they're the 2 man sit-on-top. Think I'll do the same to be sure to be sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Adi CkonSh

4 stars (good)
    Getting wet is half of the fun, wasn't the wet feet but the soggy arse that bothered me last year, the kayaks are very wet. Don't forget the suncream and a baseball cap if it's sunny like last year, we were scorched. After party is a good few hours after the finish, so if you're staying near by you'll have plenty of time to go back to your accommodation and get ready for the party. Can't wait now. Hoping to knock an hour off last years time :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Don't think you need to tbh, the shoes will be wet from the very first section so taking them off will only delay you no end. Up to yourself at the end of the day but when you get to the end of the kayak you will be stepping on potentially sharp stones when you get out :)

4 stars (good)
    yop wrote: »
    Don't think you need to tbh, the shoes will be wet from the very first section so taking them off will only delay you no end. Up to yourself at the end of the day but when you get to the end of the kayak you will be stepping on potentially sharp stones when you get out :)

I managed to get around last year without getting feet wet til I got in the kayak. Its all about picking your route carefully on the bog run. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Real_World?

Doing the Connemarra challenge next weekend. Looking forward to it as have never tried anything like this before.

Does anybody know. When you come to the kayak section of the course. Do you drop your backpack there or bring it with you. As lifejackets wouldn't fit over the backpacks.

Also on clothing any recommendation for a good jacket to wear. Looking for one at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

4 stars (good)
    They are 'sit on top' kayaks so you'd normally put the bag on the kayak between your legs, although I have seen people just put the rucksack over the lifejacket

4 stars (good)
    Doing the Connemarra challenge next weekend. Looking forward to it as have never tried anything like this before.

Does anybody know. When you come to the kayak section of the course. Do you drop your backpack there or bring it with you. As lifejackets wouldn't fit over the backpacks.

Also on clothing any recommendation for a good jacket to wear. Looking for one at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

In this race you keep going in the same direction, it's not an out and back kayak so you have to bring your bag. Think I just put the lifejacket over mine last year.

In terms of a jacket, a really decent packable waterproof is going to cost you, I'd just use any light raincoat you have for now and see how much you like racing and whether you're going to keep doing these events. Hopefully the weather will be like last year and you won't need it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cgrvy

Are the fires having any affect on the route does anyone know?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I managed to get around last year without getting feet wet til I got in the kayak. Its all about picking your route carefully on the bog run. ;)

And did u manage to fly over the river section on the bike :p

You must have been the only one then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

4 stars (good)
    Thats a pity th, it's a nice race for this time of year. <Mod snip>

No gorse fires here as yet but we can smell smoke in the wind. Rain coming this evening so should dampen things down slightly.

Most people put their lifejackets on over their bag, lifejackets are supplied.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Just saw the forecast for the weekend. There's a lot of rain on the way. Hopefully they'll have gotten it as wrong as they got this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

4 stars (good)
    Done this last year on a hired hybrid and it was good, out paced my running mate on his MTB on the road section. I am buying a new bike this year and was thinking of gettings a cyclocross but I've been talked out of it. Going to use my 20 year old road bike instead now. I'll take it slow on the off road and go for it on the tarmac to make up. Some of the off road is quite rough stones and some is OK. Going to get some 28 tyres and hope I'm OK.

After such dry weather I think we are going to get a wet weekend so wet feet all round. Managed to stay dry last year but had spare socks in a plastic bag in the rucksack in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

Thanks for any advice.
    Your lifejacket will fit over any medium sized backpack, no hassle. Try and not pack too much, keep the weight down as best you can.

Best of luck to all the boardies taking part. Let us know how ye got on next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

4 stars (good)
    Don't forget to stock your bike with drinks/water when you leave it at the transition zone, the night before. Much better than carrying it up and down a mountain. eg 2 litre = 2 kg

3 stars (average)
    And dont forget the run at the end is longer than you might think - last year was hell cause it was 5km longer than advertised so mentally draining cause you kept thinking it should be over but it wasnt :D

Doesnt look like the weather will be as good as last year :( Fingers crossed the wind stays away even if the rain comes!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    And did u manage to fly over the river section on the bike :p

You must have been the only one then ;)

No, I was just going fast enough to dry off before I had to run again. ;)

On another note...just putting my kit together.
    I seem to remember people recommending adding something to your drink to help prevent cramps. Was it diaralyte or something like that ?

I cramped badly on the kayaks & immediately afterwards, so would like to prevent this in any way I can.

No, I was just going fast enough to dry off before I had to run again. ;)

On another note...just putting my kit together.
    I seem to remember people recommending adding something to your drink to help prevent cramps. Was it diaralyte or something like that ?

I cramped badly on the kayaks & immediately afterwards, so would like to prevent this in any way I can.

You can add Nuun tablets or Diorolyte to the water. But a good approach is to have a sachet of Diorolyte each day for 2 days before.

Good luck on Saturday.

4 stars (good)
    You can add Nuun tablets or Diorolyte to the water. But a good approach is to have a sachet of Diorolyte each day for 2 days before.

Good luck on Saturday.

Its off to the chemist then to get the diorolyte pretty pronto :)

4 stars (good)
    Its off to the chemist then to get the diorolyte pretty pronto :)

Another solution is just to use sea salt in diluted squash, I use ribena.

Isotonic - 200ml of orange squash (concentrated orange), 1 litre of water and a pinch of salt (1g).
    Hypotonic - 100ml of orange squash (concentrated orange), 1 litre of water and a pinch of salt (1g).
    Hypertonic - 400ml of orange squash (concentrated orange), 1 litre of water and a pinch of salt (1g).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Is it just me or does anyone else find that Diorolyte (added to your drink - even water) cause you to burp more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I suppose it's all the excess gas leaving by the top home rather than the bottom one, but yeah, I get a fit of burps for a minute after my first few sips.

4 stars (good)
    Good Luck everyone, particularly the newbies. Can't wait now. This was my first event last year so looking forward to seeing if I've improved with a years worth of training and racing (minus the hibernation during all the snow and ice). Lets hope the rain misses us. :D

Good luck to all in this, won't be doing it this year.

Weather down here has been bad with a lot of rain so make sure u have a nice light jacket or good under armour or else you will be cold.

Newbies, hope you enjoy the event, its a nice course.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

4 stars (good)
    Well the last person has crossed the line here, excellent race, very well coordinated with a very friendly atmosphere. Found the mountain part tough as the track was wet and well worn when I got there. Mountain bike performed a dream.
    Hope to enjoy the festivities tonight, safe home to all who travelled.

4 stars (good)
    Another very well run event. Knew what to expect from last year, so that really helped.

Did a slightly slower time yesterday, but considering the conditions and my lack of training compared to this time last year, then I'm happy enough to be fair.

FYI yop - shoes were so wet I didn't bother taking them off for the kayak, would have been a complete waste of time.:)

Would need to get some hills in ahead of 2012, thighs really feel it, and those uphills on the last section, while not steep, really take it out of you after all that has gone before.

• Advertisement

Another very well run event. Knew what to expect from last year, so that really helped.

Did a slightly slower time yesterday, but considering the conditions and my lack of training compared to this time last year, then I'm happy enough to be fair.

FYI yop - shoes were so wet I didn't bother taking them off for the kayak, would have been a complete waste of time.:)

Would need to get some hills in ahead of 2012, thighs really feel it, and those uphills on the last section, while not steep, really take it out of you after all that has gone before.

Wellingtons would have done yesterday, compared to last years weather there was some difference. The day seemed ok but the rain from last week I am sure didn't help underfoot.

Was there any change to the course or was it the exact same?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

well I got soaked to sh**... and enjoyed every minute of it. Feet were well soaked within 10 seconds of the start. The hike was tough, but I enjoyed the cycling on the mountain bike ( rather than road bike) as I could take in the scenery a lot easier.
    A great escape for the weekend . The rain managed to hold off while I was out anyway. Still kept my rain jacket on up until the last run though as I didn't trust those clouds. Was nice to head down and watch people from the later waves coming out of the kayak section as I was on my way back to the hotel.
    Defo do it again ( after some hiking training...). The hiking down the south last weekend, didn't seem to help !

Kildare half marathon is next weekend if anyone is thinking of escaping to the road for a run ! ( or the curragh ).
    Am going to give it a shot .

4 stars (good)
    Wellingtons would have done yesterday, compared to last years weather there was some difference. The day seemed ok but the rain from last week I am sure didn't help underfoot.

Was there any change to the course or was it the exact same?

Conditions were very slippy underfoot, lost time on both the bog run and the mountain climb.
    Can't find my slip, but will need to study closely to see where exactly I lost out.
    Felt much better at the end of the race this year than I did last, probably less dehydrated, but I definitely have a better idea on planning my food and drinks.
    Had no problems on that front this time around, mind was willing but legs hadn't enough training on board.

4 stars (good)
    What a great day. Exact same route as last year, but very different conditions. Didn't have to contend with the heat and sun, instead had to deal with sucky bog, very draining on the legs. Managed to take 1 hour 5 mins off my time. Delighted. :D Got home in 3 hours 27 mins. Well done to all who organised, vounteered and raced. A great feeling to have done my first repeat of a race and improved so much, CAC was my first ever multisport race last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shanediffily

4 stars (good)
    This is some video taken "on the trot" from the 10.00am start - http://blog.likeplace.ie/

Myself and 2 of my brothers took part. The youngest got the best time of 2hrs 40 minutes. I got it in 2hrs 53min, and my older brother in 3 hrs 3mins. Not too bad overall.

(Both my shoes got stuck in the muck at the beginning, so that slowed me down a fair bit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

4 stars (good)
    My legs hurt:(:(
    But I really enjoyed myself:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

This is some video taken "on the trot" from the 10.00am start - http://blog.likeplace.ie/

Myself and 2 of my brothers took part. The youngest got the best time of 2hrs 40 minutes. I got it in 2hrs 53min, and my older brother in 3 hrs 3mins. Not too bad overall.

(Both my shoes got stuck in the muck at the beginning, so that slowed me down a fair bit!)

great video. Was trying to explain to the folks and then saw your post, so they saw for themselves. I lost my left shoe too, but managed to dig it out.

Great day! Legs hurt like hell but thoroughly enjoyed myself. Was looking forward to the kayak but was so difficult after all that was done before. My lower back and core were on fire and took me 32 mins to finish as a result. It also wrecked my final run as my legs were really starting to cramp up. That aside, great experience and very well organised. Was happy with my time and overall effort. The soup at the finish line was brilliant! First time adventure racing but definitely not my last :)

Will go ahead and do Gaelforce West in August:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

3 stars (average)
    I thought that the bog run at the start really drained me. Bit let down by my time - but I enjoyed myself. Thinking of signing up to West Wicklow ROAR now - just find it a bit pricey at this stage - €75!

Anyone know if boardsies can get discounts? ;)

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Really great day out! I was really happy to see that I am getting a touch fitter :D Cut 1 hour 38 off my time and came a mere 90th last instead of paddy last this year - happy days.
    Absolutely LOVED the off road cycle on the MTB with slicks but highlight of the day had to be sitting on my ass and just sliding down the hill a la waterslide! I couldnt believe it was soo wet but it made for ideal sliding conditions hehe! Was a bit destroyed with mud by the end of the race but thanks to a bag of power shots I felt pretty damn good!
    Definitely going to be the benchmark race every year I reckon. Its really great the way everything is in short pieces :)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

4 stars (good)
    Fi H wrote: »
    Definitely going to be the benchmark race every year I reckon.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Wow, well done Fi, that is some improvement! incredible. You'll shave HOURS off your Gaelforce time!

Achill Roar is my benchmark race.. but i'd probably agree about Connemara had i done it this yr! (Still gutted i didnt!)

OT but I'm really hoping to do achill roar sport sub 2 hours this yr- which would be shaving off 10 mins.. better get some hill training done then!:D

3 stars (average)
    Not sure I'm going to enter Gaelforce this year - thinking it may need 2 years to blank Croagh Patrick out :)

Sounds like you have a really tough target for Achill this year. Its much harder to shave a minute off 2hours 10 than an hour off 5 :)

But its all fun at the end of the day - I'm so glad I discovered these races :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

4 stars (good)
    First time doing this race although I have done Gaelforce before. Can't fault it. I thought the course was brilliant, a good mix of everything & stewards etc were very helpful & enthusiastic. That first hill was a killer though, all uphill bog, absolutely energy sapping. Give me Croagh Patrick anyday.

Was a bit worried about the offroad section as I didn't get my mountain bike sorted in time so I just took the road bike with Gatorskins. Honestly don't know what all the fuss was about, the only problem I had was trying to slow myself down as it's nearly all downhill. I'd definitely bring the road bike next time - and there will be a next time.

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Wow, well done Fi, that is some improvement! incredible. You'll shave HOURS off your Gaelforce time!

Achill Roar is my benchmark race.. but i'd probably agree about Connemara had i done it this yr! (Still gutted i didnt!)

OT but I'm really hoping to do achill roar sport sub 2 hours this yr- which would be shaving off 10 mins.. better get some hill training done then!:D

I will be with ya on that on in Achill, I have 6 seconds to wipe off to get my sub 2hrs! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I will be with ya on that on in Achill, I have 6 seconds to wipe off to get my sub 2hrs! :)

I'll race ya!!!

Achill is the event of the yr, i love everything about it- cant wait!!!

Feeling a bit like yourself Fi about Gaelforce- not sure I can face it- but hey, with a bit of hill training I might change my tune!

3 stars (average)
    haha! maybe I will too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

Great event. Can't wait for next year

Advertisement