Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Boy Jack

• 11-01-2011 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick thread on this, saw it for the first time this week. Available on amazon and widely available on the internet.

Oh and filmed in Ireland too which is good to see.

From Wikipedia
    As The Great War begins, 17 year old Jack Kipling (Radcliffe), the only son of the famous English writer and poet Rudyard Kipling, declares his intention to join the Royal Navy to fight against the Germans. His father (Haig), who encourages him in his ambition, arranges several appointments for him to enlist in both the army and navy. However, Jack's poor eyesight prevents him from passing the medical examinations, and both he and his father are devastated. However, Rudyard uses his influence with the military establishment to eventually secure Jack an officer's commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Irish Guards regiment. Both Jack's mother Carrie (Cattrall), and sister Elsie (Mulligan), disapprove of this post, as they don't wish for him to be deployed on the front lines.
    Jack, who proves to be a popular officer with his troops, undergoes military training and travels to France within six months. On his eighteenth birthday, Jack receives his mission orders to lead his platoon into action on the following morning. However, during this attack in the Battle of Loos Jack goes missing in action and the Kipling family is informed by military telegram that he is missing, presumed injured.
    Over the next two years, Jack's parents track down surviving members from Jack's platoon and interview them. One of Jack's privates eventually confirms that Jack was killed in the Battle of Loos, shot by enemy gunfire, after losing his glasses in the mud during an assault on a German machine-gun post within the enemy lines.

Here is the ending. The ending is no great secret, it's pretty moving imo but then I'm a sucker for clips like this :o

I'd don't start threads on films or made for TV shows but this is definitly worth checking out. Excellent acting though I'm not too sure about Kim Cattrall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Excellent acting though I'm not too sure about Kim Cattrall

By Gad, sir. You dare to detract the capabilities of the magnificent Ms Catrall and it will be pistols at dawn!!

Harrumph!!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Loads of lads from the RDF were in this,would've been in it too if I hadn't broke my ankle a week before filming :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

By Gad, sir. You dare to detract the capabilities of the magnificent Ms Catrall and it will be pistols at dawn!!

Harrumph!!

:)

It seems she gave quite an accurate portrayal of Mrs Kipling, who was a sufferagete(sp) and of course, a yank.
    Excellent film though. A tragic story. Even Harry Potter was good in it.

Advertisement