Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Modelling!!!

Options
  • 11-01-2011 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi All!!! My name is Stuart and Ive written a childrens book, Im working on the art to accompany the words and have decided that I would like to try my hand at modelling the scenes and characters, paint the background and photograph these for the book itself! I have tried a few different types of modelling clay from the local art shops but nothing seems to be any good, it either cracks when drying or wont stay together if I have to add little pieces to the main body if you get me?? Can anyone reccommend a good clay to use? The stuff they use for movies seems to be perfect as it can be built up as your working and blends easily! Any help will be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SurlyBoy

i've heard something called sculpey is really good. I'm actually looking for it in dublin though, i don't know where to get it! You varnish and bake to make it super strong.
    Anyone with more information, feel free to contradict me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭MagDee

well there is polymer clay that you'd like, different colours and bakeable but you can add pieces afterwards. I would be happy to take you in for a workshop if you need help getting started or make the pieces for you.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/53509370/mini-me-made-to-order-polymer-clay

some of my projects for sale currently:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagDee

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The stuff they use in stop-motion films is Plasticine or Mala.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

As Looksee says - you want plasticine. You can get this in Evans in different coloured blocks. It never hardens fully so no cracking. For big pieces or long extensions you might need a wire armature.

Some web info woth looking at

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/03/13/plasticine-art-showcase-shape-your-imagination/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqpcEt6606Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BuddyBassett

Thank you people! Some invaluable advice and Im on my way!!! :) I think the Sculpey stuff is exactly what Im looking for after looking at other videos on the net! Thanks again peeps! Your help is much appreciated, Im gonns order some and Ill post up the results and Ill be in touch with everyone when the book is done to see what you think :)

• Advertisement

SurlyBoy wrote: »
    i've heard something called sculpey is really good. I'm actually looking for it in dublin though, i don't know where to get it! You varnish and bake to make it super strong.
    Anyone with more information, feel free to contradict me

From a lot of searching Ive come to the conclusion that its not available in Ireland! I found it on ebay.ie from an English seller but will work out roughly 20 euro for a 1lb pack delivered! Its the only real option as far as I see!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

From a lot of searching Ive come to the conclusion that its not available in Ireland! I found it on ebay.ie from an English seller but will work out roughly 20 euro for a 1lb pack delivered! Its the only real option as far as I see!!!!

I got some from RPM Sculpture supplies last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

heya

I use Fimo to make my cake toppers, it's about 2.50 a block in Eason's in town or the craft shop in Blanch Inspiring Idea's. You can mix colours from the primary colours just like paint (which you can't do with plasticine) bakes easily as long as you condition it properly....

I'd be happy to help you as much as possible if you need, I only yesterday published my website (still needs a bit of work I know but sure you have to start somewhere!) you can see the examples of the type of thing I do.

If you need some help give me a shout..

Berny

bernyh wrote: »
    heya

I use Fimo to make my cake toppers, it's about 2.50 a block in Eason's in town or the craft shop in Blanch Inspiring Idea's. You can mix colours from the primary colours just like paint (which you can't do with plasticine) bakes easily as long as you condition it properly....

I'd be happy to help you as much as possible if you need, I only yesterday published my website (still needs a bit of work I know but sure you have to start somewhere!) you can see the examples of the type of thing I do.

If you need some help give me a shout..

Berny

Im looking into making detailed models and the Sculpey seems to be the best for that! I'll definitely need help though! WHats your web address? :cool:

Advertisement