Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Illegal Parking on the road help!

Options
  • 11-01-2011 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi All

I've had a look through some older threads on illegal parking, but our problem is a little different in that the road is a public one. I also see there are varying degrees of response to the issue, but we really need some help.

Basically we live beside a college (which has ample paid parking). The road has two lanes and is a main road between two parts of town so is really busy. During the college hours the students park on the road which has no markings, I use the word 'park' loosely, its more like abandoning. They also park on the verges outside our houses so there can be two layers of cars each side of the road. When there are two cars parked both sides it reduces the traffic to one lane which is causing massive issues.

The reason its come to such a head is that last week one of our elderly neighbors needed an ambulance which had to stop in the middle of the road and block traffic because it couldn't get into the house and we had no way of contacting the problem car owner.

We have contacted the Gardaí, and they clamp when they can but they're incessant and just move to a different house, they will also clamp them if they're on the verge but it doesn't seem to deter them.

Has anyone any advice on who to contact to find a more permanent solution and what that solution might be? We're not trying to get anyone punished or anything just looking for solutions moving forward

Thanks in advance
    KC
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Your council is the obvious answer - it sounds like there should be double yellows on at least one side of the road. Do they also block driveways?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

DKIT by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As stoneill says the answer is the council. You need to start lobbying your local councillors to have double yellows added to the road where necessary and paid (with residential permits) parking if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The students should have free parking anyway. There should be an obligation on the college to provide free parking or have it as part of their fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Double yellow lines or a continuos white line if the road is narrow should resolve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

gbee wrote: »
    The students should have free parking anyway. There should be an obligation on the college to provide free parking or have it as part of their fees.
    That's pretty irrelevant. The way the planning laws work for colleges they'll never be able to have sufficient parking spaces for all their (driving) staff or students combined. There'll always be overspill during the academic year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Lobby your TD's, and bug your CoCo roads dept. and make daily complaints to your local Garda Station about dangerous parking. Which I believe is a penalty points offence, more money for the State's coffers!:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gbee wrote: »

All workers should also have free parking as well I guess, or sure the paid parking could be just taken out of the pay cheque.
    :rolleyes:

Lack of parking is not an excuse for people acting the **** and throwing their cars where they want without a thought for residents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

....sounds like dog turd under door handle time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 K.C.K

Thanks so much, I was beginning to feel like a grumpy old lady!

Double yellows pose problems because it means it will force all of the cars over to the opposing side of the road, so then theres a coin toss on who gets that bundle of fun!

Not DKIT but I believe I've heard similar difficulties and in relation to ample parking there is enough spaces and its only e7 for a 6 days pass, hardly bank breaking

They block driveways occasionally, but its mainly the traffic congestion and safety issue at the mo

Gardaí have been great in fairness and lobbied the council, they ticket whenever we call but then a new crew start parking a week later, as one said to me, for the chance I get fined e80 its 11 weeks free parking (nice attitude right)

The other thing is in the evenings or weekends many people have guests with extra cars, and double yellows will cut off our nose to spite our faces either you know? A couple of cars would be fine its the amount of them that cause the issue.

And local councillors? They're 'working closely with the community' but nothings happening, and the council say they've no money to put double yellows or residents parking

Actually writing it out makes it look even more hopeless :(

Anyone know the rules on the sticky stickers too? The ones saying you parked illegally? We thought they might deter people

Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Get yourself a luminous vest, yellow paint and set your alarm for 4am. Double yellow lines time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you can get those upside down yellow line spray cans in our local DIY;)

Advertisement