Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self-Defense Classes in Dublin

• 11-01-2011 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi girls,
    Have any of you been to a good, helpful self-defense classes in the city. Dont want to do anything mad like martial arts but just something that would give you the basic defense moves if ever attacked.
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

My advice would be to post this question on the self-defense & martial arts forum. There are female posters there who run female only self defense courses who could offer you great advice.

Edit: Might be worth sending a PM to MaeveD who (if memory serves me correct) runs female self defense classes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I would be very cautious about putting too much confidence in a short seminar or workshop in self-defense, especially in terms of physically defending yourself from a larger, stronger, or more aggressive person. It takes from months to years of training and practice to become proficient in self-defense; and you must keep your skills fresh by frequenting training overtime.

At best, the curriculum of such short exposures to self-defense would serve to inform you of how to avoid situations that put you at risk, and what to do to mitigate risk should a threatening situation arise; e.g., what to say, how to act in the presence of a threatening person, soliciting help, how to disengage, and when to run.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Moved from TLL.

Maple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Got to agree with Blue_Lagoon - short term self-defence courses won't give you good enough physical skills for dealing with actual physical assault.

Long term martial arts training might help but its no guarantee either.

It's like medicine - avoidance and prevention rather than cure is the best practice.

I'd recommend this to read http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/EZsafety.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Hi Jojo81,
    We teach a 6 week course that has been designed for women, it deals specifically with attacks by a bigger male attacker, sexual assault and rape.

You can read more about it and us here: http://www.defendu.ie/womens-self-defence

Just like anything you learn, you have to practice... the mental and physical techniques.

We haven't set a date for the next course yet, but if you pm me or email me, I'll let you know when the dates are confirmed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement