Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a laptop

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You don't need a high end laptop for a hauppage, the pvr does the majority of the work itself.

Vegas I am not so sure, but I think it'd be fine too.

From your name, you an SF player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 gamer_beast

sf player? whats that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

street fighter i assume.

no im recording cod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

You'll be able to run Vegas, yes, but it won't be at a blistering pace - as in you probably won't be able to playback in Vegas at a normal rate, plus your render times will likely be in the couple of hours mark.

(This is from my experiences with a Dual-core Celeron with 3GB RAM, rendering WMV's at 720p - taking up to 4 hours apiece.)

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    You'll be able to run Vegas, yes, but it won't be at a blistering pace - as in you probably won't be able to playback in Vegas at a normal rate, plus your render times will likely be in the couple of hours mark.

(This is from my experiences with a Dual-core Celeron with 3GB RAM, rendering WMV's at 720p - taking up to 4 hours apiece.)
    whatt laptop are you on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Always hard to figure out laptops from HN ads.
    e.g. it says it has Intel IGP yet it's an AMD processor!!!

Anyways - I eventually tracked down a review and specs of it
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2010/06/29/Acer-Aspire-5551

The OS is right - the memory is right -
    The downside is your Grfx card in this - based on the Radeon 4250.
    So your CPU is going to have to do all the rendering, etc..

Better to find something with a 5450 or better Grfx if you can.

OR hold out a month or 2 and wait for the latest Sandybridge laptops to hit the streets. These babys have hardware encoding/decoding and at 720p will do several times faster than real time encoding - greatly speeding up the process for yourself.

DemoniK wrote: »

OR hold out a month or 2 and wait for the latest Sandybridge laptops to hit the streets. These babys have hardware encoding/decoding and at 720p will do several times faster than real time encoding - greatly speeding up the process for yourself.
    ye see im only 12 so making comformation in may but im just thinking a bit early and my bday in june so more money basicilly i just want a laptop thats able to render vegas vids at a standard rate and a pretty decent grfx card

oh ya and how much are sandybridge laptops .. mainly aim to spend 500-550

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

first ones will be more like 900...
    but expect to see them cheaper soon.
    If it's going to be June/July when you buy then the lower spec CPUs will be out by then and you should be able to pick one up at a decent price.

• Advertisement

ya ok thanks but its 500 cos need to get hd tv and hd pvr too haha

first ones will be more like 900...
    but expect to see them cheaper soon.
    If it's going to be June/July when you buy then the lower spec CPUs will be out by then and you should be able to pick one up at a decent price.
    demonik what is a cpu im sorry for the noobie questions im more of a internet tech guy more than pc specs and is lower cpu better ????
    i have no clue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

demonik what is a cpu im sorry for the noobie questions im more of a internet tech guy more than pc specs and is lower cpu better ????
    i have no clue

/facepalm

CPU is the raw power of your machine, the faster it is, the better. In this case, generally when it comes to computers like this, the high-end of the line is released first at a higher price, and then a few months down the line the slightly lower-spec machines are launched at a nice discount. Normally the loss in speed when picking up the lower-end ones in this instance, can be nearly negligible.

so is that a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

im more of a internet tech guy more than pc specs and is lower cpu better ????
    i have no clue

Then you should have no problem looking it up :eek:

Hight the processor the faster your system runs, i think the fastest out there is 3.7 quad, but it will cost you a lot.

On another note you mentioned you were only 12 , isnt that a lot of money to be spending(hdtv, pvr, laptop) just so you can upload cod vids ?

yes it is a lot of money but i love just editing and recording its just one of the things i have a passion for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Yeah, thats really good, and a great price

thanks tallon

Advertisement