Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ Leaving RAM Market

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not surprised, their entry-level modules have been getting worse and worse for several years now and their high-end modules, while very impressive, are too expensive for most of us :o

Its now even more ironic that they dropped their lucrative peripheral and cooler lines a while back to continue their RAM and PSUs, the two things they're really rubbish at :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd say they get plenty of revenue from their SSDs, they're always recommended and seem to be the most popular for mainstream sales.
    I'll welcome them back when they up their RAM standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Solitaire wrote: »
    Not surprised, their entry-level modules have been getting worse and worse for several years now and their high-end modules, while very impressive, are too expensive for most of us :o

Its now even more ironic that they dropped their lucrative peripheral and cooler lines a while back to continue their RAM and PSUs, the two things they're really rubbish at :pac:

+1

Once a high end manufacturer loses sight of there core market the result can only end one way and that's just what happened to OCZ tho at least they have the SSD market to fall back on. I wonder if SSD's had of been a couple of years earlier would Abit still be in business lol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Terrible news, leaves a huge gap in the mediocore DDR3 market sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've used OCZ RAM in two builds, and personally I liked it a lot. Cheap at the time for what it was - DDR2 - and OCed like no tomorrow. The Corsair RAM that I have now - which I paid a bucket for - is much less impressive.

They make fantastic SSDs though, topped only by Intel, IMO.

• Advertisement

They were good until the 45nm Core2s started coming out, then apart from some lucky Fatality modules I bought on the cheap it was downhill all the way. They divided their portfolio clean down the middle, hiked the prices for Blade up beyond even Reaper levels and reduced the quality of their reliable and decent Platinum/Titanium/Fatality lines so they all became the same unreliable gloppy mess :mad::( At last their memory support forum finally overtook their PSU RMA forum in the number of distress calls and complaints :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Delighted. Was getting sick of not recommending it to people :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Solitaire wrote: »
    They were good until the 45nm Core2s started coming out, then apart from some lucky Fatality modules I bought on the cheap it was downhill all the way. They divided their portfolio clean down the middle, hiked the prices for Blade up beyond even Reaper levels and reduced the quality of their reliable and decent Platinum/Titanium/Fatality lines so they all became the same unreliable gloppy mess :mad::( At last their memory support forum finally overtook their PSU RMA forum in the number of distress calls and complaints :pac:

Oh god, the ammount of wasted time i had testing OCZ memory in here is beyond a joke. Still, sad to see a company pull out of an already pretty empty (for choice) market.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Oh god, the ammount of wasted time i had testing OCZ memory in here is beyond a joke. Still, sad to see a company pull out of an already pretty empty (for choice) market.

Agreed... Corsair, Geil, G.Skill, CellShock if you can get your hands on some.... any other decent ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Do you test them before they you RMA or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

With OCZ products? Not a hope, especially not the PSU's. The chance of them catching fire is to much of a concern. Everything else is tested though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Agreed... Corsair, Geil, G.Skill, CellShock if you can get your hands on some.... any other decent ones?

Kingston?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

With OCZ products? Not a hope, especially not the PSU's. The chance of them catching fire is to much of a concern. Everything else is tested though.

Thats not good to hear as I have just fitted a OCZ 700W StealthXStream 2 Power Supply.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Ah I see.
    /OT, seeing as how you do have the blog, have you considered reviewing products to add to it?

Kingston, Crucial (actually improved a lot over the last few years, DDR2 was muck but DDR3 is great), Team (aka Elitegroup aka ECS, haven't owned their DDR3 but their DDR2 was great stuff), probably Mushkin and A-Data too.

Not too sure about ChainTech (you rarely see their stuff over here anyway), Patriot or Transcend but I don't think they're awful either. The only major player that was selling muck with their badge on it was OCZ actually, although you do see cheapo PNY/Elixir/TakeMS/Mach modules out there too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Disappointed to hear this. I've been using OCZ ram for about 6 years now and never had any issues. Have got some great ram from them. I loved my reapers in my 775 and am now using OCZ gold 12800 in my PC. At the end of the day it's less choice for the consumer, which is never good. With the price of ram at the moment it's no wonder they weren't making much money on it. On the upside from what I have seen them do with their SSD's, it bodes well for that market.

Advertisement