Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Running track

Options
  • 11-01-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Do we really need an indoor running track?
    I know it will bring more courses to the college, improve the standards of the college etc etc, from what I can see the new outdoor running track (quality job and all) isnt exactly being overused.

Or maybe it is the right thing. What else will this new building have?? new weights gym???

Do we need an indoor running track? 3 votes

Yes its badly needed
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Pros: It probably would be a great facility if it was put to really good frequent use, it would beneficial for aspiring athletes not just in AIT but in the midlands in general. And, along with the outdoor track, would make AIT a major athletics centre in Ireland.

Cons: What percentage of students in AIT will be actually using the facilities? A very small percentage. The money for building this indoor running track could have been spent on upgrading the college facilities that all students use such as the library, the canteen, lecture rooms, computers, lab equipment etc. They could even have built a new car park instead of it and help solve AIT's parking problems, but at the moment with the construction of the indoor track they are adding to the problems.

Overall i think it was bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I think its a good idea. Its a good facility, and its not just an indoor running track. Its a sports centre.
    Hopefully they put in a new gym as the current one is very small and cramped. I can see an indoor track been used a lot more than an outdoor track.

150's indoors Athlonelad.... Might getting better scores, as there'd be less wind resistence

What about a "we don't need it but its a nice welcome addition."
    I know when I was training for the european Youth championships a few years ago, I had nowhere decent to train. With the facilities in A.I.T. coming on board, I could have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I am not from A.I.T. but you guys having an Indoor Track is the best thing for the Country. It will be the only proper indoor track in the Country. I am sure AIT will make a lot of money in return.

I might even change college just for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

The other track is pay-per-use, but weather doesn't always allow its use.

I'm in favour of a new sports facility, if it means that the MPH is freed up a bit :)
    Fencing currently runs in the balcony part, which is gradually getting smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

Well with the college making revenue from the Community games each year and due to the face it is still trying for University status this would produce more interest in AIT and increase the number of students taking courses here. Although I feel if the canteen keeps over charging the new running track will be soon paid for. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

Well we do have to get out early for the CG's... If it's built and managed properly it could benefit the whole area and multiple courses, clubs and societies across the whole college.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Found out that it is going to have a new gym. Thumbs up from me.

Advertisement