Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JDS to fight for interim Heavyweight title

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Niall0 wrote: »
    With Cain Velasquez sidelined due to injury, Junior dos Santos will indeed fight for the UFC Interim Heavyweight Championship against an opponent to be named.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/1/11/1928381/junior-dos-santos-to-fight-for-interim-ufc-heavyweight-title

So who should Junior fight then? Shane Carwin maybe?

Mir won his last fight, carwin lost, i dunno doesnt really seem fair for carwin to get, hmmmm hard call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Mir is facing Nelson at 130 I thought? So it only leaves Brock. I don't think Carwin will be ready by then, but if it's a choice between him and Brock then they should go with Brock, having beaten Carwin himself. Who knows what Brock makes of it all though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Another interim title? Bit of a joke really. How long is Cain meant to be out? There's been no interim title at LHW with Shogun's lenghty injury. Is this just due to JDS not wanting to give up a title shot in order to remain active?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Jayo_M wrote: »
    How long is Cain meant to be out?

November

I've got no problem with interim titles. It gives the fans an idea of who the best active fighter is and sets up a fight for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

8 months is the time expected for Velasquez to be out, in fight terms that is a long time to have in the division without a title fight. UFC need activity in the HW division with the Strikeforce tournament comming up, that means whatever "name" fighters UFC have to be active in that time to hold public & media attention. It's not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, I'd expect to see Carwin in this fight, Lesnar to take another fight as a bit of a tune-up first, with the winner of each fight facing off for the interm. Interm belt holder fights a (hopefully) fully fit Velasquez for the full title in late Summer/Autumn time.

This is MMA though, I'd fully expect a lot of twists and turns before we have a clear view as to the top UFC Heavyweight again. That's injuries, contract negotiations, potential scandals (Carwin seems to have a touch of Sonnen about him in regards to keeping his nose clean), we then have the questions over Lesnar's hunger to return to the Octagon... and as much as I hate to say it I also have a feeling Frank Mir might have a part to play in all this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

I'd imagine Brock would fancy his chances against Dos Santos.

Obviously he'd get killed if it stayed standing, but I'm sure he'd be confident about his ability to take him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

looks like Carwin, they have pulled him from a fight with nelson. Or they may be trying to put pressure on Lesner, who has got to be their preferred pick, assuming they still have any control over him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Just shows you how thin their heavyweight division is. The only names that can be thrown in there are Nelson, Carwin (who's coming off a loss), Lesnar (also coming off a loss) and Mir.

Their most up-and-coming heavyweight is Stefan Struve and I don't find him at all impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

True, but Strikeforce, would still struggle to break 500k for a PPV, even with all their top HW's fighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

With the coachs on TUF 13 being JDS ans Brock, I think it's obvious who fights for the interim.

Sets up either the showdown (JDS) or the rematch (Brock)
    Pretty obvious choice imo. Carwin nelson for follow-up fight imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bledmillennium

Mellor wrote: »
    With the coachs on TUF 13 being JDS ans Brock, I think it's obvious who fights for the interim.

Sets up either the showdown (JDS) or the rematch (Brock)
    Pretty obvious choice imo. Carwin nelson for follow-up fight imo

Obvious in terms of market and drawing power. But putting a guy who was SLAUGHTERED in his previous fight and giving him a shot for the title is just insane. IMO, it should have been Mir and not JDS for TUF.

Anyway, WAR JDS!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Mellor wrote: »

Dana has already confirmed Brock v JDS won't be for the interim belt (and there won't be one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks, I was just going on the thread title

Advertisement