Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subjects to pick for Medicine?

• 11-01-2011 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

I'm hoping to do medicine or pharmacy after leaving cert?
    I'm at a loss on which subjects to pick to qualify for these courses?

Anyone give me a few tips thanks? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You need a minimum of two sciences for a lot of places, one of which must be chemistry for anywhere. Personally I'd do all three if you really like science (thats what I'm doing , its really good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

All requirements here, make sure to fulfill the requirements and then pick whatever you think you'll do best in for points, or an extra science if thats what you're interested in.

Edit: Ha, the link won't work cos it contains the word med entry. Its this: http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2011UGMed Entry.pdf with no space before the Entry.pdf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

You dont need chemistry for every college. You can go to UCD, NUIG or RCSI with just one science. Its what I plan to do :rolleyes:. I'd say pick your favourite 2 sciences and then just pick whatever subjects you're most likely to get points in. I picked Engineering and Geography for example. Engineering because I like it and I've always done well at it and Geography because the course isnt very hard so an A is easily obtainable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

But even so pick Chemistry as it keeps your options open. If you have any intention of studying in the UK you need at least one other science. But that aside both Chemistry and Medicine are very much chemistry based courses. If you do any one science, do chemistry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

It would be highly inadvisable not to take Chemistry, it would make first year hard and rules you out from so many colleges.

• Advertisement

It would be highly inadvisable not to take Chemistry, it would make first year hard and rules you out from so many colleges.

You have to do premed if you don't have chemistry, but the material taught in the chemistry module is easy to follow and gets everyone up to the same level before going into first med :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

You have to do premed if you don't have chemistry, but the material taught in the chemistry module is easy to follow and gets everyone up to the same level before going into first med :)
    You have to do premed If you dont do chemistry,biology and physics.You can only go straight into first year if you have all 3 sciences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'm hoping for medicine too!
    I'd say to go for chemistry and biology. Physics too, I guess (although I'm not sure where it would come into the medicine course, physics is the bomb!). They're (obviously) science subjects, and medicine is a science orientated course.

Of course not having done medicine, I could be completely wrong, but I'd really imagine that they would help out in your first year, or at least prevent you from being behind most others in the year. They'll certainly be more helpful in the information than, say, Home Ec, Geography or Accounting. :p

pajero12 wrote: »
    You have to do premed If you dont do chemistry,biology and physics.You can only go straight into first year if you have all 3 sciences.

No you don't. To skip premed, you generally need to have 2 of the sciences. Its all on this form: http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2011UGMed Entry.pdf (with no space after Med).

Not having done physics hasn't set me back in any of my modules so far whereas I have seen where chemistry and biology have come in. While you could get by without either (by covering them in premed) its handy to have certain concepts ingrained in you already and not have to worry about learning them on top of college work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Go with Chemistry and Biology definitely. A friend of mine got to skip first year in RCSI because he got A1's in both. Not to mention some places do require 2 (Trinity) and most UK colleges require 2 or chemistry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

RMD wrote: »
    Go with Chemistry and Biology definitely. A friend of mine got to skip first year in RCSI because he got A1's in both. Not to mention some places do require 2 (Trinity) and most UK colleges require 2 or chemistry.

Are you sure it wasn't pre-med?

Are you sure it wasn't pre-med?

Definitely premed. If you sit chemistry and 1 other science you are eligible to go straight into first med in most colleges, depending on the grade. You can't skip first med.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'd say do all three sciences, because they're all interesting, easy where you understand topics (especially physics) and good for your soul :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'd say do all three sciences, because they're all interesting, easy where you understand topics (especially physics) and good for your soul :-)
    Physics is of no use mind. There's very little really, perhaps a few equations which you just learn off. Can't imagine maths being to useful either. Biol and chem for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I'm in first year Trinity without having done LC chemistry, not very fun.

Advertisement