Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Café Bar Deli - closing down?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Sign on the door of Cafe Bar Deli - "Closed due to circumstances beyond our control" or somesuch.

Owners back in court soon over petition on examinership apparently.

This city is going to be a ghostown soon.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

Bad news.

The restaurant i worked was closed down three months ago. And I have two week wage UNPAID and nothing on the holiday pay.

Don't worry too much. Try to find a new job as soon as you can. I just got a new part-time job now.
    By the way, you can claim support from Social welfare if you pay tax before.

This city is going to be a ghostown soon.
    I don't agree with you. Perhaps you are a foreigner(me either).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

This city is going to be a ghost town soon

so true. .. I really feel the city council has to step in and support city traders, especially local cork based traders. The city has become a uk high street, but thats a discussion for another time. Traders in the city face big rate bills and service charges, all of which are to be expected, but what was not expected was the way the city has changed to the detriment of businesses. Think back 5 or 6 years ago. you drove into the city cruised up and down a street or two found your parking and went off about your business. Now you can count on one hand the streets available for parking. If you are lucky enough to find a space you need to keep an eye out for the active clampers. Yes there are multi car parks but they are costly. A lot of the streets off Oliver Plunkett St. are totally deserted. pedestrian friendly maybe but the businesses on those streets are barely managing to survive. All the shops and restaurants, like lugi malone and cafe bar deli have to compete with surburban shopping centres, free parking and unlimited time once you re in the centre. A lot of the traders in these centres are chains of muti national companies, very few shops are sole traders or local cork companies. I think the council need to be aware of the situation that city traders now find themselves in or as Evilivor points out ..Cork will indeed be a ghost town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I like CafeBarDeli, one of the better places to get lunch in town, always had pleasant staff and nice food.
    A lot of the traders in these centres are chains of muti national companies, very few shops are sole traders or local cork companies. I think the council need to be aware of the situation that city traders now find themselves in or as Evilivor points out ..Cork will indeed be a ghost town.

For this reason, I love the English Market. If Cork didn't have the English Market, it would be the worst city I've ever been in (besides Seville, hate that f*cking place).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Back in October they were hopeful that Cork could remain open but did say that if things got bad then that might change. Article here from 10/10/10:

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/cafe-bar-deli-owner-reflects-on-a-sad-time-for-restaurant-chain-52182.html

It will be a shame, there are some amount of empty retail units on Patrick's St, I think I counted 11 the last time I walked down it. With the main street empty what hope have businesses on the side street?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Danielle3

i was going to go there today for birthday dinner with family , its the only place (besides McD :) that i could consider for financial reasons and for child friendliness to bring my 3 kids. i LOVE their food in the sense that for pretty good price the produce was really fresh, natural and very tasty. their pestos, dips, pizzas, spagetti with prawns and chilli and coriander - yum! and it was consistent, nice staff too. u werent on the edge of your seat if your kids spilled a drink :) will ring the number later and see if they are there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

I loved the place, but they were really robbing so and so's....! They charged reasonable prices for main courses and then robbed you on the desserts. I had a bowl of soup there three weeks ago, which was really lovely mind you, with one slice of brown bread and they charged me 6 euro. After that I swore I'd never go back again.....seems like I'm not going to be able to anyway. Sorry for the people and their jobs....what a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Town is starting to become a chore. Takes forever to get into a Multistorey, then you have the priviledge in some places of paying 3 euro an hour. Step out of the Carpark, you've got a guy permenantly collecting for Asthma right in your face, turn right, walk 100 metres and you've got 5 chuggers in a row looking to sign you up to a Concern Direct Debit, and then you've got a lot of businesses struggling to keep the doors open and pay the staff wages due to the exhorbitant rates the City Council charge. It's no wonder why people go to Mahon Point/Ballincollig/Wilton/Blackpool/Douglas instead. Free parking, no chuggers and no rain.

I was looking at getting an Industrial unit for myself this year, and the rates put me right off. It's as if they're trying to discourage people from trying to make a living.

I usually try and park by the college of knowledge, two hour zone :) I live close enough to town, should walk really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread was started last January. The place certainly wasn't closed when I walked past last week. Has it closed since, or are people not reading the thread properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Oh dear, didn't see the question mark there in the title. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Faith wrote: »
    This thread was started last January. The place certainly wasn't closed when I walked past last week. Has it closed since, or are people not reading the thread properly?

Faith, I started the thread back then abx you can lock it now if you wish as it has gotten through it's dodgy patch it seems.

Advertisement