Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 San Francisco 2011

Options
  • 11-01-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Who else heading San Fran? Three of us so far...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mich carlow

hey 3 of us are going to san franisco aswel, have no clue what ta do when we get their tho... what are your plans??? im getting no luck on jobs i think searching is a waste of time:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LimkUL

hey 3 of us are going to san franisco aswel, have no clue what ta do when we get their tho... what are your plans??? im getting no luck on jobs i think searching is a waste of time:mad:

We're flying out the 25th May until the 31st Aug, flying into San Fran. Hoping to sort accom once we get there possibly in Berkeley, as for jobs we applying to places at the moment but hearing nothing back yet. It's myself and two other lads at the moment, yourself?

Have you booked yet? We booked using USIT, all in it was about 1000e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

You'll get work with any of the Irish moving companies. Hardest work you'll ever do in your life....But good fun. Search yelp SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mich carlow

LimkUL wrote: »
    We're flying out the 25th May until the 31st Aug, flying into San Fran. Hoping to sort accom once we get there possibly in Berkeley, as for jobs we applying to places at the moment but hearing nothing back yet. It's myself and two other lads at the moment, yourself?

Have you booked yet? We booked using USIT, all in it was about 1000e.

I was thinking Berkeley myself but its only ment to be good if ur under 21... its me and girls and possibly my bf.. ill be 21 in June and they all 21 already so not sure bout it.. Im thinking of maybe moving down coast to santa cruz or somewhere... I want to be right on the beach... but also i got offered a job in seaside heights where jersey shore is set so ..... maybe east coast, if ya wanta come jersey shore let me know and ill give ya de email for de job.... :D
    Are u planning on staying in san fran all summer??
    yup im booked to fly to san fran on 7th june... its same price as yours... :cool:
    I emailed lots of fecking places and i keep getting same email back saying they dont usually hire but welcome to call in and blah blah.... it seems impossible to get a job :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Summer Cali

Hey guys
    Theres 3 of us headin to san fran aswell for the summer.
    Were thinking berkeley..santa cruz is also a possibility.
    Have ye done much job/house hunting??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 acceptable80s

Hey guys!
    I'm heading to San Fran in June for my first ever J1 and am at a complete loss about getting a job :( dunno if its too early to be already looking but don't seem to be making any head way, any advice about where to look? checked every website i can think of and no luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

craigslist.org is a really good site for job searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 torps

@Summer Cali

Me and 2 lads are headin to san fran. we're gonna stay in berkeley either in a frat house that we know has real cheap rent $300 for an entire summer:cool:... or we're thinking of renting a house but we probably need more people to afford it.....jobs are pretty scarce in berkeley but my cousin and his friends all got jobs up in waterworld in concord, jus got to start early with the job hunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 j1student

yeah, it's hard to find a job in San Fran, but you can try "walk in" at McDonalds, and other franchise once you get there.

Cheers guys :) ya I know most people walk into places and stuff to get jobs but would love to try have something organised before I went over. Thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sean1111

Hey,

Im thinking of going to san fran this summer. i have accomodation sorted but i have no job sorted yet. how much money will i need to bring out with me?

where you get accommodation? i still have to sort mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sean1111

I dunno, my friend is sorting it out for me. Are you bringn much money with you. Have u a job got already?

cool well i dunno about accom yet, gonna try get into a frat house but can't get any word back from them! do u no where ye are stayin? no job or anything yet, I'm in my final year so hard to do anything J1 related :( think you need to have 1000 dollars in ur account before u go over, they check for prove of funds! but friends of mine did it last year and they said you'd need at least 2000 to be safe, if not more :( they said its expensive but def worth it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm also heading to San Fran. trying to find cheap accomodation before we sort our jobs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jenconnellan

hi there are five of us headin 2 san fran for the summer its hard to find accomadation has anyone found any that mite help us??were tinkin of living in berekley...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nokia08

Actually I'm heading there on saturday :) For co-op :)

4m UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jenconnellan

have you sorted accomadation or you doing it when ur out there???

its almost impossible to organize accommodation for long term living until you actually get there because they always want you in person to see the place
    so when i get there its one of the first things i'm gona do.

finding it really hard to sort accom, ne advice?

• Advertisement

Yeah to be honest, It is really hard, I'd suggest waiting or organising meeting on the day you get over, or book a week in a cheap hotel, I'm getting a week for about 300 euro.

They seem to find it dodgy that a irish person is contacting them from ireland. which is rightly soo like :) hope it helps :)

What sites are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would have a search for Irish communities in San Fran to see if they can be of any assistance. Somewhere like the Irish Immigration Pastoral Center may be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 starlight53

Hi!
    Id like to go to san fran this summer but dont really want to go on my own and im not sure how to go about sorting it all...
    Can anyone help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JESSRabbit

I'm going on my own too, but I was on to the Irish Immigration place and they were really helpful, I reckon i'm gunna wait till i get over there..thinking of the sunset district, anyone looking for people to share with???

Advertisement