Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Atlantic target audience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Trevord wrote: »
    Sky seem keen to hoover up UK/IRL rights for HBO style box set dramas for this channel.

For a target market happy to watch HBO dramas and shows like Mad Men with ad breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

evilivor wrote: »
    For a target market happy to watch HBO dramas and shows like Mad Men with ad breaks.

With Sky + that's not such a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This sounds like a good channel with good quality programming, but the idea of paying more money to $ky doesn't do it for me. I am currently a Sky Sports subscriber and have been battling the idea of actually cancelling my Sky subscription over the last year or so, so paying more doesn't sit well with me.

After all, RTE is good at getting these types of programmes to the Irish market without additional costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

NIMAN wrote: »
    This sounds like a good channel with good quality programming, but the idea of paying more money to $ky doesn't do it for me. I am currently a Sky Sports subscriber and have been battling the idea of actually cancelling my Sky subscription over the last year or so, so paying more doesn't sit well with me.

After all, RTE is good at getting these types of programmes to the Irish market without additional costs.

If you already have Sky you will not pay any extra for six months. If you have Sky One you pay nothing extra ever.

Is Sky Atlantic a HD only channel ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Is Sky Atlantic a HD only channel ?
    No. I believe there will be both SD and HD variants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Trevord wrote: »
    Interesting article on Guardian today about the launch of Sky Atlantic.

Suggests that it is aimed at older Freeview (and presumably Freesat) customers who would not normally buy Subscription TV.

Overall, a disappointing development from the perspective of terrestial/ freesat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2011/jan/11/sky-atlantic-x-factor

Sky seem keen to hoover up UK/IRL rights for HBO style box set dramas for this channel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/05/sky-atlantic-2011-highlights

spiral series 3 will appear on bbc4 soon please

the walking dead is coming to Five, rubicon is coming to bbc4 all in a few weeks

I'll wait for breaking bad series 3 for dvd

boardwalk empire is good, the last 4 episodes are excellent
    treme is also excellent, who needs sky atlantic as I saw these 2 ones on the free web stream through my broadband package who needs sky atlantic

Sergio a hbo documentary is coming to bbc4 in a few weeks as bbc have invested in it
    so sky atlantic is mostly the home of hbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

ftakeith wrote: »
    I saw these 2 ones on the free web stream through my broadband package who needs sky atlantic

Probably those who a) don't have broadband. b) don't watch ****ty streams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The idea of waiting and buying a tv series boxset just to avoid pay tv kind of defeats the 'free tv' argument.Watch it on tv then watch something new,splash out on boxset,watch it,leave it on shelf to gather dust-bye bye 40 odd euro.
    Sky Atlantic will appeal to those wanting quality drama and don't want to watch the usual reality tv/soaps that primetime tv seems to foist upon us.
    RTE have an annoying habit of sticking anything decent on at crazy hours at night so if you don't have a recording facility you may become an insomniac to watch them.
    The channels is free to Sky subscribers so nobody that has Sky need worry about any extra cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭strongman

Have test transmissions started yet. If so what is the frequency settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well Sky Atlantic is definitely a positive move for UK tv.
    The standard of tv programming on Irish and UK tv over the last few years has been appalling.
    Its utter junk .
    Reality tv shows,fly on the wall stuff,diy shows,property ladder shows,celebrity tv,depressing soaps ,its a never ending supply of ****e.

It seems Sky Atlantic will mostly be showing reruns of old series which isnt the news I was hoping to hear.
    At least one night a week, Tuesday at 10pm, there will be a top new series, such as Blue Bloods
    They are really spoiling us for choice arent they :rolleyes:
    RTE have an annoying habit of sticking anything decent on at crazy hours at night so if you don't have a recording facility you may become an insomniac to watch them.
    Very true,RTE really should add another channel ,showing US imports,if it only broadcast 7pm-12pm,something like BBC4,its disgraceful the way they banish quality shows to graveyard shifts.

Advertisement