Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st BJJ Class tomorrow!

• 11-01-2011 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm starting BJJ tomorrow and am looking for a few tips on how to gauge my progress over the first few weeks.

Obviously I not going to be pulling any subs any time soon, so what should I be looking to achieve apart from doing my very best not to be submitted?

For example, is my goal to at least keep them in full guard? I presume they'll be taking any chance they can do pass into side guard etc.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on training at least 3 times a week so expect a lot more annoying noobie questions in the near future! ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Saulo Ribeiro says; survival - escapes - guard - guard passing - submissions.

In that order, but ask your coach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I just started last Tuesday. Just enjoy it! I've no advice though, apologies :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

Try not to go too mental when rolling with people more experienced than you, they'll beat you anyway and you won't notice what they're doing. Better off just being patient, keeping your arms and neck tucked. Pay attention to what people are doing when they're rolling with you, I'm new to this too and I've learnt the most when getting smashed!

Key is not to get disheartened when you keep getting beaten, everyone gets killed at the start, in my 5th month and still getting killed!

Enjoy!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Dont get injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

breathe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Your goal should be ..to go in there & learn something new. Don't be pushed about getting submitted or not.

(No Ego)Accept the fact that your going to get submitted and just enjoy the training. The more fun you have the better the session.

You'll learn more opening up and feeling and watching how your partners roll with you , rather than closing up and covering into a ball, hoping you don't get submitted.

Enjoy the session. Hope you have a good time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I'd say just get in there and enjoy it.

From my own thus far brief experience also;

Watch the better guys roll.
    Ask questions if you aren't quite getting something.
    Don't go hell for leather straight off. Some people can be way overenthusiastic and try and bate their way through you. It won't work but accidents happen!
    Expect to be well beaten by guys more experienced than you. But don't get disheartened. Learn from it.

Above all though, enjoy it. Welcome to your new addiction!

Where're you starting, out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Depending on where you're training, you may not be doing any free sparring (rolling) in the first few weeks so focus on:

1. Relax and breathe.
    2. Focus on what the correct posture for the various positions should be rather than trying to pick up techniques of "left arm goes here right foot swings here" etc.
    3. Begin to learn to move your hips, even if it's just as part of warm up drills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Dont be afraid to tap, if someone locks on an armbar and you cant escape tap.

Ask questions if you dont understand something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'm fairly new to BJJ, I've just been training a few months but here's some stuff that might help.
    Try and stay relaxed and don't panic, a lot of people go crazy at first when someone is passing their guard or start putting on a sub. Respect the other people in the class, don't be doing stuff to hurt them like throwing sly elbows/kicks or pinching them, that kind of thing is not going to get you anywhere. You'll find you'll get a lot better if you try and focus on good technique instead of relying on strength for escapes and subs.
    If someone is doing a submission on you and you can feel it, tap. Everyone does it all time, there's no shame in it so if someone has you, tap and you'll avoid needless injuries. Leave your ego at the door because even the smallest blue belt in the place will be owning you!
    There's no harm in trying stuff out you've seen in videos or in the ufc, but for the first while I'd stick to stuff you've been shown in class as it takes a while to find out what's allowed in your class and to get used to putting on submissions.
    Other than that, keep yourself and your training gear clean and also keep your nails trimmed. You'll be grappling with others and it really sucks when your training partner smells bad!
    Good luck with the class, it's great fun and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Keep your guard closed :pac:
    But seriously, as well as everything said here so far, if anyone even attempts a leglock on you, tap straightaway, you're not going to know when to tap to them until you're a few months training at least.
    Demeyes wrote: »
    Respect the other people in the class, don't be doing stuff to hurt them like throwing sly elbows/kicks or pinching them, that kind of thing is not going to get you anywhere.
    People in your class do that? :eek: Arm crush them to death.. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Keep your guard closed :pac:
    But seriously, as well as everything said here so far, if anyone even attempts a leglock on you, tap straightaway, you're not going to know when to tap to them until you're a few months training at least.

Any leg submission except Achilles lock are only allowed for purple or higher in comps I believe, are they allowed in your class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

ScareGilly wrote: »
    People in your class do that? :eek: Arm crush them to death.. :cool:
    Not really now, but when we started there were a few people who were prone to a bit of arm flailing and being a bit rougher with grips and elbows than they probably should have, nothing too crazy really and it was probably because of not knowing better than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

great advice so far :)

an article by my coach that might be helpful for you

http://aliveness101.blogspot.com/2007/02/exploring-map.html

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

SanoVitae wrote: »

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on training at least 3 times a week so expect a lot more annoying noobie questions in the near future! ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Here’s my suggestions from experience in no particular order

Wear a black belt. Or a red one, red one’s are cool.

Never wash your gi or take it out of your training bag after practice.

Toe and fingernails long and sharp (filing optional).

Don’t shower for few days beforehand.

Say “pfft that’ll never work” any and every time your coach shows a technique.

Call everyone b*tch when you roll with them and feel free to commentate your every move.

Offer your hand for a handshake or high five before a roll but then quickly brush your hair with the same hand.

Ask your partner to take it easy before a roll and suggest just a light slow roll coz your nursing a fake injury then proceed to go freaking mental trying to kill your partner.

Shout Ki-ya anytime you want.

Smiling is for the weak.

If you get an opportunity squeeze your partners head as if your life depended on it DO NOT LET GO! Even after the end of the round!

If it’s your first class you should definitely interrupt the drills and try and coach the guys that’s been training for at least 6 months consistently. He’ll really appreciate that.

Haha I had a lot of fun writing that! : )

Obviously for the love of God disregard everything I’ve said above. There has been some fantastic advice offered already! Best of luck for your first class, if your like me the first class will have you hooked for life. Jiu Jitsu really is beautiful.

Everyone who posts here about BJJ is extremely helpful so feel free to ask any questions! : ) I still text my coach annoying newbie questions haha ;)

Best of luck and enjoy! Most of all have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

Shout Ki-ya anytime you want

Best advice given so far! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Instead of tapping, what I'll actually do instead is gurgle ki-ya when I'm being choked out....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Instead of tapping, what I'll actually do instead is gurgle ki-ya when I'm being choked out....

Ha, you might not have a choice!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

lukeyjudo wrote: »
    Ask your partner to take it easy before a roll and suggest just a light slow roll coz your nursing a fake injury then proceed to go freaking mental trying to kill your partner.
    My favourite one. Truth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Be relaxed and calm.

and survive =) but have fun!

• Advertisement
Advertisement