Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikers and Angels to block Westboro Baptists picket on childs funeral

• 11-01-2011 7:58pm

Good news story. The Westboro bapstist, had planned to picket the funeral of the 9 yr old child shot in Arizona a few days ago. For what reason, I have no idea.
    Today I read how the community are raising funs to make and supplie 8-10 ft angel wings, so they can form a cordon around the mourners from the bapstists.
    Businesse's are donating, and groups are getting together to make the large angel wings.

I think its brilliant the way this community plan to stop those hateful b******'s picketing a childs funeral.
    Looks like they wont get free speech this time, they will be drowned out. Also, a group of bikers are to help with blocking the picket.

Reading this cheered me up no end, like good winning over evil for a change.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/01/11/arizona.funeral.westboro/index.html?hpt=T1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Those Westboro guys are lunatics to the extent that every time I despair at this country, and thats quite often, I think of them and breathe a sigh of relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I hope the bikers are carrying a few knives and chains. Fred Phelps is one guy it would overjoy me to see getting beaten to within an inch of his life or even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Some of the stuff on YouTube about them is mad. They're pretty much endangering the lives pc the children they bring along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

It's amazing who does and doesn't get shot in the US...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought you were just giving media attention to the WBC when I clicked on this. I was pleasantly satisfied to the contrary :)

What a nice idea. And symbolic too of the family's faith, shielding the little girl from these twisted people with an angel barrier? I gotta respect that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Good to hear. Those sick church wackos deserve everything they get - and the emotional side of me hopes they do get it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

RichieC wrote: »
    It's amazing who does and doesn't get shot in the US...

It's pretty unbelievable that none of these nut jobs haven't been shot. No harm if a few of them were.

Read a quote from the leader of the biker group. Says they will make sure that family dosen't have to deal with any a** Holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fred Phelps is a cnut, no other words can describe him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Thing about these fking nuts is just how well organised they are, pretty much all of them are lawyers by trade, so they sue the bejeezus out of anyone that tries to do anything to them.

It's a racket..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It might also be worth having a look at the Superhero counterpicket that greeted them at Comic Con. Perhaps less inspirational, but a funny all the same.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/07/22/super-heroes-vs-the-westboro-baptist-church/
    The good folks of San Diego's Comic-Con were prepared for their arrival with their own special brand of superhuman counter-protesting, chanting "WHAT DO WE WANT" "GAY SEX!/WHEN DO WE WANT IT/NOW!"

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It's pretty unbelievable that none of these nut jobs haven't been shot. No harm if a few of them were.
    How dare you.

The girl only died because some disturbed young man decided to walk into a grocery store with a firearm and shoot up the place, killing a Judge, Governor, several other people, and this little girl.

To say that the Westboro Baptists deserve the same treatment only perpetuates the undercurrent of violence. Can you really be that naive? Killing them would only serve to make that child's death meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

What possible reason could they have to picket a 9 year olds funeral...or anyone's funeral for that matter?
    Some people should just have their oxygen cut off. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Phelps truly showed himself up for being a publicity whore and nothing more when he got his little cult to picket a Comics Convention. I mean a Comics Convention, FFS!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

bronte wrote: »
    What possible reason could they have to picket a 9 year olds funeral...or anyone's funeral for that matter?

Indeed. Its scary that such people exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

I admire the response of the nerds at Comic Con.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I prefer fundamentalists picketing than strapping bombs to themselves.
    Goes to show what a weird thing religion is and why we should abolish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Exposure, the Phelps family is basically a cult of anger.

biko wrote: »
    Blame the crusades. The religions that cause all the trouble were designed to be expansionist, with no failsafe to stop them from doing so.

It makes me think of a society of robots without the 3 laws. You tell me what would happened if we created thinking machines and gave them all biblical programming. I don't think we'd survive to see the end result.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Attention, the more outrageous their actions, the more they get. It's like an ignored child who misbehaves to get someone to notice them

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I know it's against the rules to personally insult others, even those who don't use boards..ie. But can we have a permanent exception to the rule in regards to Fred Phelps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Crazy, hateful, bastards. I just hope that when Fred finally dies, his family gets a taste of their own medicine. Would be nice if some of the bikers beat the living **** out of one of them.

Crazy, hateful, bastards. I just hope that when Fred finally dies, his family gets a taste of their own medicine. Would be nice if some of the bikers beat the living **** out of one of them.

Absolutely. Everyone involved in his little cult is a waste of human skin and its a disgrace they are allowed to breathe the same air as everyone else. Don't worry though, it will happen to them eventually. They provoke people so much, somebody is going to bite them back at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sick bastards, well done to the bikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

I don't agree. The majority of religious people quietly worship the God of their choice peacefully.
    As you said, these people are fundamentalists. Even if you remove religion, these people will still have an extremist mentality and will find another outlet for it.
    You only have to look at the extremist views with PETA, abortion, environmentalists, racists, student radicals, anarchists etc for evidence of extremist ideologies in action.

May I just point out, you call them 'hateful bastards', then wish violence upon them in the next sentence. There may be a contradiction in there somewhere.
    As for these hells angels picketing the funeral.....don't forget that this is the biker gang that you have to rape a woman to get into. Not exactly upstanding citizens themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

DarkJager wrote: »
    I hope the bikers are carrying a few knives and chains. Fred Phelps is one guy it would overjoy me to see getting beaten to within an inch of his life or even better.

Free speech isn't just for nice people.

The WBC shouldn't be allowed speech. They should have their vocal cords ripped out.

No you're right. But it comes with consequences.

DarkJager wrote: »
    The WBC shouldn't be allowed speech. They should have their vocal cords ripped out.

You shouldn't be allowed free speech because i say so.

Great argument isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Who is this "we" you speak of?

Crazy post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Maybe I've not been following this closely but I've read the article and nowhere does it state why the WBC are picketing this funeral.

And what's with the Roman Catholic line at the end?

So much hate coming from these Baptists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

There are just some places where the right to free speech is and / or should be waived, a funeral is one of them.

Good to see so many people from across all divides coming together to do some good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Give crazy extremists an outlet and they'll use it. Religion has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PML84

That **** is just unreal!!!

May I also just add, when watching the original Louis Theroux episode about this family, I was overcome with the desire to ride one of the daughters senseless. That would snap her out of it I reckon. Here's the doll in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya67kQof21A

There's a saucy little minx in that one just waiting to be let out, mark my words....Did you see her giving Louis the eyes for a second when she turns around? Filth. Around 3.43 I think it is.
    Her mouth is all like: "Oh Louis, You're going to hell...blah blah fire and brimstone blah blah such a sinner blah blah bible God angels"....
    And all the time her mouth is moving, she's really thinking: "Lob it into me big boy....right here in the car-grrrr!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That's his granddaughter, not daughter :)

Yeah, I'll never forget her, you can tell her hearts not in it./ she wants a good ride.

Yeah, I'll never forget her, you can tell her hearts not in it./ she wants a good ride.

Seriously though, wouldn't that be the ultimate bragging rights? Better than turning a full blown lesbian I would wager. No greater test for a lothario. The World Cup...no, Holy Grail of the pick up artist community. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Which is exactly what the WBC are saying about gay people and whatever else they want to get rid of...

I am in no agreement with what the WBC is and what they do disgusts me, but anyone who says that religion should be abolished because of a minority group of fundamentalists, is doing the same thing in a way that those fundamentalists are doing.

Seriously though, wouldn't that be the ultimate bragging rights? Better than turning a full blown lesbian I would wager. No greater test for a lothario. The World Cup...no, Holy Grail of the pick up artist community. :D
    There isnt a man alive that can turn a full blown lesbian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Fred Phelps attended the same university which granted Ian Paisley an honorary doctorate.

That Uni needed a serious dose of Rodney Dangerfield imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I think your on to something. Boards could picket his funeral :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Jake1 wrote: »
    Good news story. The Westboro bapstist, had planned to picket the funeral of the 9 yr old child shot in Arizona a few days ago. For what reason, I have no idea.
    Today I read how the community are raising funs to make and supplie 8-10 ft angel wings, so they can form a cordon around the mourners from the bapstists.
    Businesse's are donating, and groups are getting together to make the large angel wings.

I think its brilliant the way this community plan to stop those hateful b******'s picketing a childs funeral.
    Looks like they wont get free speech this time, they will be drowned out. Also, a group of bikers are to help with blocking the picket.

Reading this cheered me up no end, like good winning over evil for a change.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/01/11/arizona.funeral.westboro/index.html?hpt=T1

Are they going to knock together a few pairs of angel earmuffs as well so the Phelps cannot be heard???

I think the solution to the likes of the Phelps ought to go well beyond 8 foot angel wings... The US is well overdue a debate on the moderation of free speech when their constitution is used in this manner, which is to horrify people.

I think your on to something. Boards could picket his funeral :P
    He wouldnt be worth the effort. But if he ever comes to Ireland I'd gladly spend the night in a cell for a good smack on his nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

As for these hells angels picketing the funeral.....don't forget that this is the biker gang that you have to rape a woman to get into. Not exactly upstanding citizens themselves.

Did you even read the article? No where in the article does it say hells angels. Not every biker is one.

Are they going to knock together a few pairs of angel earmuffs as well so the Phelps cannot be heard???

I think the solution to the likes of the Phelps ought to go well beyond 8 foot angel wings... The US is well overdue a debate on the moderation of free speech when their constitution is used in this manner, which is to horrify people.

I dont think they mean it as a solution, just a means of solidarity toward the family, and to protect them from any further horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They picket high-profile funerals as a way of saying "God wouldn't have allowed this to happen if America didn't tolerate homosexuality".
    Saw the Louis Theroux documentary (excellent btw - seen others on same and they didn't come close; the way Theroux conducted himself was especially effective. He stayed so calm and actually listened, unlike Keith Allen who also did a documentary on this church and made a show of himself by being really confrontational) - was expecting a bunch of crazy hillbillies... instead, really pleasant, polite, civilised, intelligent people - apart from Fred, on whom I'd put money as being gay himself. I've read a good bit about the family history: according to his estranged son, he was a viciously abusive - physically and psychologically - monster. Some of the memoirs would leave you reeling. Frightening stuff. Weirdly, he's not on the far right when it comes to everything. He practised as a lawyer and fought for civil rights during the 1960s.
    I find it hard to fully blame those children of his who are spreading his word - they have been absolutely twisted by him. And I find it REALLY hard to blame his grandchildren - it's all they've ever known. But then again, some of his children did break away...
    It's a ****ing tragedy though - a family ruined by that hateful bastard, let alone all the damage they've done to others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

They would never get in a mile of doing that in Belfast. ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

KeithAFC wrote: »
    They would never get in a mile of doing that in Belfast. ****.

Belfast? Where loyalists hounded, spat at and intimidated young school girls on their way to Holy Cross Primary School? or Where loyalist "Hero" Micheal Stone threw hand grenades at mourners at a funeral.....No, you're right. That could never happen in Belfast.
    PS. I love Belfast myself, but it can be as backwards as any other place on this earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's a lovely idea but sadly not half as satisfying as beating them to death with nail-studded planks would be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement