Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

File transfer problem

• 11-01-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

(i have already put this on audio-video editing forum but thought should get some help here too)

Hi,

I bought a new laptop today, unfortunately, it doesnt have a Firewire port and i want to use it for video editing.

But i figured no problem really, i'll just capture on my desktop that i have been previously using to edit on, using Premiere pro to edit, but HDVsplit to capture, and then transfer the files over to the laptop using a USB or possibly trying to setup a home network.

But when transferring files from the desktop onto the laptop via the router using ethernet cables, the speed is about 250 kb/s and when its the other way around, from the laptop to the desktop, the speed is 10 MB/s!!

Why is this? I really need to find away to speed this up as the overall files i want to transfer are over 5GB.

You can read a bit more about it here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130539

any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭IrishB.ie

This is just a general suggestion. When both are connected via network cable, turn off the internet on both and then disable the firewall on both (turn the firewall back on before you reconnect to the internet).

Wasn't the exact same, but I had a similar problem recently and that worked as a quick fix for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Would it have anything to do with the NIC Speed on your machines?

On the Windows “Start” button, select “Settings->Control Panel”.
    In “Control Panel”, select “Network Connections”. Right-click on the “Local Area Connection” and select “Properties” from the bottom of the menu. Configuration>Advanced. Click Speed and Duplex. You may want to test it by change the auto to 100 MB Half or 10 MB Half. If it works, increate to 100 MB Full or 1000 MB Full.

Advertisement