Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Please Help Expropriation

Options
  • 11-01-2011 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

I had a look quickly but hard to find answer :-(

I have big problems with the management company of my apartment in Cork.

The apartment is really bad, the windows don't close correctly (about 1 cm open) therefor I get water on the floor (maybe because of leaking too...), the sower doesn't work, in the bathroom I get water from the apartment upstairs.

As a result my apartment is cold, wet and I get those black mushrooms all over.

I live there since April and I live with my small baby child...

Of course I reported it but they've never done something that fixes the problems.

Then I've stopped paying my rent since this month.

Today they tried to come in my apartment but I was working so they have left a note on my doors that says that tomorrow they want me out and they will do the apartment checking at the end of the afternoon...

I am not Irish so I don't know the laws but do they have the right to do that ? What can I give them that would prove they can't ?

Please help me I need help on that one...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

gaet59 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I had a look quickly but hard to find answer :-(

I have big problems with the management company of my apartment in Cork.

The apartment is really bad, the windows don't close correctly (about 1 cm open) therefor I get water on the floor (maybe because of leaking too...), the sower doesn't work, in the bathroom I get water from the apartment upstairs.

As a result my apartment is cold, wet and I get those black mushrooms all over.

I live there since April and I live with my small baby child...

Of course I reported it but they've never done something that fixes the problems.

Then I've stopped paying my rent since this month.

Today they tried to come in my apartment but I was working so they have left a note on my doors that says that tomorrow they want me out and they will do the apartment checking at the end of the afternoon...

I am not Irish so I don't know the laws but do they have the right to do that ? What can I give them that would prove they can't ?

Please help me I need help on that one...

Stay put. Legally nobody can put you out on the street at this stage. It's your home.

You could stay there and not pay any rent for another year or two before the Garda get instruction from a court to get you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

OP contact Threshold. You should still pay your rent but the problems should have been remedied.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

If they want to evict you for non-payment of rent they must first give you a written notice of arrears, then 14 days after that they can give you a 28-day notice of eviction. So that's a total of 42 days from the first day of not paying your rent until you can legally be evicted. If they evict you despite this you can bring them to the PRTB and get up to €10,000 compensation for illegal eviction.

That said, you are still required to pay your rent regardless of the condition of the apartment.

Your best bet is to report them to your local authority -- they are in charge of enforcing housing standards. I would also consider moving out if possible.
    What can I give them that would prove they can't ?
    If you want some official-looking document to wave in their face you could print out this PRTB leaflet about illegal evictions...

Advertisement