Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc - proxy? search page?

• 11-01-2011 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

i was going to the upc website and i made a typo. i typed www.up.ccom by mistake. i've done this before with other webpages too since i got upc and have got a similiar page.

where is this page generated? modem? upc proxy? other?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Random wrote: »
    i was going to the upc website and i made a typo. i typed www.up.ccom by mistake. i've done this before with other webpages too since i got upc and have got a similiar page.

thanks

It's done at their DNS servers, they hijack the response. Just use any other DNS servers. They've been at this for about 14 months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

They just resolve any un-resolvable DNS to the upc search page.
    If you change your DNS it doesn't happen any more.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

thanks

You can remove that search page by changing DNS to:

Preferred DNS server address: 89.101.160.8
    Alternatively 89.101.160.9

Instructions on PDF here

EDIT: If you are using a router, access the config page and change the DNS to the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i have my upc router in bridge mode and i have my own router hooked up. will changing the dns settings in my own router suffice or will i need to change them in the upc one?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

i have my upc router in bridge mode and i have my own router hooked up. will changing the dns settings in my own router suffice or will i need to change them in the upc one?

thanks

Not sure, but try changing in your own router 1st if that doesn't work you will change the UPC router too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

nava wrote: »
    You can remove that search page by changing DNS to:

Preferred DNS server address: 89.101.160.8
    Alternatively 89.101.160.9

Instructions on PDF here

EDIT: If you are using a router, access the config page and change the DNS to the above

I wonder would it speed up your connection if you were to find some really fast DNS servers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Eircom does the same thing.

Use google dns:

Also, faster than upc and eircom in my experience. Hijacking NX responses is terrible and non standard, they should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

noxqs wrote: »
    Eircom does the same thing.

No they don't

Use google dns:

The problem with using Google dns is they retain your browsing history for 24-48 hours.
    Hijacking NX responses is terrible

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thanks
    if the UPC router is in bridge mode then your own router is handling DNS requests for your local network so just change it there.

gibson research do a free DNS benchmarking tool to check all the popular internet based DNS servers against your current ones and make recommendations based on the results so you can make sure you're using the best DNS servers for your connection.

you can get it here anyway: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

just let it run and choose the 2 or 3 fastest (depending on how many your router will allow) and you should see a decrease in response time for DNS requests. hopefully. :)

Advertisement