Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised Vegetable Bed Kits

Options
  • 11-01-2011 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I want to put some raised beds in my garden and I was wondering if it would be more cost effective to buy a DIY kit rather than build something.

Have you done this? Can you recommend a product or supplier please

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

There are many suppliers out there but good info i think before you make your mind up is here www.grow-your-own.ie/raisedbeds.html

You could also make them yourself they are quite simple to make and your cost would be just the cost of your timber.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Get yourself a few cheap 2nd hand scaffold boards and kick boards,and some nails or wood screws and then you have a sturdy and cheap raised veggie bed.

You see lots of raised veggie beds made like this on allotments.

Scaffold boards will last years too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nutzlos

thanks Fodda. The focus of that link is whether to use treated or untreated boards and it leans towards using untreated ones.

I like the idea of using used building planks - should be plenty about in this climate- but there is a risk of contamination from building materials. I doubt the missus will go for that solution.

I agree the most cost effective way is to use untreated used boards but I would still like to know if anybody has bought a solution and how much it costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

nutzlos wrote: »
    thanks Fodda. The focus of that link is whether to use treated or untreated boards and it leans towards using untreated ones.

I like the idea of using used building planks - should be plenty about in this climate- but there is a risk of contamination from building materials. I doubt the missus will go for that solution.

I agree the most cost effective way is to use untreated used boards but I would still like to know if anybody has bought a solution and how much it costs.

Then just go and fork out for new pressure treated railway sleepers from a gardening shop or diy store.And build your raised veg frame with long nails or long wood screws.

But they aint cheap to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jhynes2009

I looked into this last year and just found the shops so cheap that it would have cost me more to make it myself. B&Q had flat pack raised beds last year (by flat pack I mean 4 lenghts of untreated wood and a few nails) for €13.

So all I had to do was prep the area where I was putting it and then nail it together! Worked out great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nutzlos

sounds like a solution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

We bought some untreated planks of wood from a DIY store (they won't last forever but should do a good few years), we've got 4 beds (8x3) which cost about €40 all together... didn't take long to make either.

Advertisement