Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upfront costs of leasing an apartment

Options
  • 11-01-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone,

Im just about to lease a one bedroom apartment and Ive never done that before, Im moving out from home (and previously shared with others), and I am wondering what upfront costs can I expect to incur, apart from the deposit and rent of course? These are probably silly questions (!) but do you have to pay upfront connection costs for tv/ntl, new account fees for esb??

I guess im just wondering from anyone that has moved into an apartment what do you need to do and what are the costs of getting it all set up for yourself after the previous tenant?

Thanks a mill :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

go to the 'esb customer supply' forum under biz >> talk to >> esb customer supply. contact straight away and get a meter reading taken so that you're paying for what you use only.

i'm pretty sure you will have to put some sort of deposit down with the esb and board gais if your using their services, it can be up to 300 euro so check it out.

refuse collection for 6 months/12 months can cost approx 100 euro +

tv license 160 euro

cable tv installation/sky tv installation maybe 50 - 100

the rest really is up to you - do you need things for the kitchen etc?

be frugal where possible and enjoy your new found freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jean Ann

Cheers, thanks a mill. Ill go and check those out. its all the "hidden" costs I was worried about and mount up before you realise it!

I appreciate the nod!! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I think ESB/GAS deposit can be waived if you set up a direct debit (but things might have changed) Also, I find its less of a pain to pay the TV licence monthly by standing order of approx €13.5 a month rather than the lumpsum. once you set it up you never have to worry about it then, and on post send you the licence and details out. If you happen to have €160 up front, nicer to spend it in IKEA on bits and bobs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I've always found a rental move costs me up to a couple of hundred quid in bits and pieces over the week or two before and after a move. Lots of hidden things that for the life of me I'm struggling to think of now...erm, I guess things like a new frying pan and a good new kitchen knife (the ones provided as part of a lease are very often poor quality), maybe new lightbulbs (softer or stronger), a new dustpan and brush, bathroom mats, a new shower curtain, candles and candleholders, a new lampshade or two (or even new lamps themselves if required), kitting out the kitchen with condiments and cooking essentials, new coffee mugs, kitting yourself out with cleaning products (cf Floyd) for kitchen and bathroom, a clock for a bare wall, teaclothes, a new kettle or toaster...

....it's hard to think of these things now, but when you move they just tend to pile up on you. It's usually things that the landlord either isn't required to provide (like nice bathroom mats) or which he is required to provide but are of poor quality (a kettle for example). Occasionally, you'll buy stuff that the landlord should have provided, but that's so cheap you just do it yourself (maybe a dish rack or bin for the kitchen or something). Also, while you might bring some of this stuff with you from wherever you are now, I tend to find I dump stuff like an old frying pan or stained coffee mugs when I leave one place and just get new ones myself for my new place. New place, new stuff. You can always take anything you buy with you when you leave.

I'd make a contingency of €100 - €200 for this stuff and spend that as needs arise rather than trying to make an exhaustive list now (although that's no harm either I guess!).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jean Ann

Hey,

Thanks everyone for the tips :) I wasnt too sure what Id have to think about to allow for, but now ye have put me on the right road re even the little incidentals etc....

Thanks a mill :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

I remember setting up ESB and Gas when I moved in to my rental place a few years back and they both required a deposit. I think one of them doesnt charge if you set up Direct Debit but I can for the life of me remember. The other one (think its the ESB) Charges €400 as a deposit and lowers that to €200 if you set up a DD.

I was shocked at the price of it so maybe keep 200-300 for just your ESB and Gas Deposits.

Sorry I cant be clearer on what was what but Im sure once you enquire you'll get a better picture.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I can confirm that ESB don't take a deposit if you pay by direct debit. UPC were the same. It's the other start up costs for a new place as mentioned by Treehouse72 that really add up, all the little bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

LeahK wrote: »
    The other one (think its the ESB) Charges €400 as a deposit and lowers that to €200 if you set up a DD.

It's Bord Gáis that looks for that deposit. As Sarn mentioned, I think the ESB waives the deposit completely if you set up a DD.

Advertisement