Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Securewave

Options
  • 11-01-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just purchased a HKC Secure wave setup.

I've got it all setup and it's working great apart from one thing.

When I type in my user code the first item showing up in the menu is "unset" even though the panel is already unset. So to arm it I have to -> Code, followed by down button followed by the yes button... Kinda annoying!

If i disable user menu the system arms by itself on entering the code.

In another property we have a hkc securewatch whereby you simply put in the user code and press the "Yes" button and that's it!

Thanks,
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

What you should do is set the user or manager up as code 1, then set up code 2 as just a standard user. Makes life a lot simpler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Cool,
    I'll do that!

Can I take it that it's just the way the software is configured that unset comes up first no matter what?

Yes, that is correct ;)

Great Thanks,

One other thing as it stands I've got my sounders wired as follows!

EXT BELL + & - : SAAB Sounder
    INT BELL + & - : ECHO Sounder (internal)
    Strobe + & - : SAAB Strobe

I've read that I shouldn't use strobe output & should pair the SAAB strobe with internal bell.

Whats your thoughts on this altor?

Thanks for your help?

Alan

I have never had any issues wiring the strobe in with the internal bell. External to external. It is done like this on most panels. The Secure Wave has it own separate outputs for the int bell plus strobe. Makes it much easier for any diyer :D

When you say EXT BELL + & - : SAAB Sounder DO you mean to the external bell or to the actual siren in the external bell ?

• Advertisement

Sorry, The supply to the actual SAAB Unit - not the sounder itself!

Should I leave the strobe in the strobe outs or just put them in with the int bell?

Thanks,

Alan

Ha ha, I was wondering what you meant :D

You have it done correctly if the strobe is in with the strobe - external is in with external.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

digiking wrote: »
    Sorry, The supply to the actual SAAB Unit - not the sounder itself!

Should I leave the strobe in the strobe outs or just put them in with the int bell?

Thanks,

Alan

Keep the strobe and internal separate. The two bells are timed to cut out after 15 minutes. The strobe will keep flashing until it's disarmed, this is a good idea because you can see the bell flashing when you approach your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Hi,
    Just purchased a HKC Secure wave setup.

I've got it all setup and it's working great apart from one thing.

When I type in my user code the first item showing up in the menu is "unset" even though the panel is already unset. So to arm it I have to -> Code, followed by down button followed by the yes button... Kinda annoying!

If i disable user menu the system arms by itself on entering the code.

In another property we have a hkc securewatch whereby you simply put in the user code and press the "Yes" button and that's it!

Thanks,
    Alan

That sounds like a bug to me. The panel should know it's own status and offer the appropriate options when you type in your code.

Jnealon wrote: »
    That sounds like a bug to me. The panel should know it's own status and offer the appropriate options when you type in your code.

If so, Can the software of the panel be updated?

Whats the USB port on the top of the board about?

• Advertisement

It is not a bug, it is the way it is set up by HKC.
    The USB port would be used for flashing the panel.

A panel giving you an option to unset when it's not set is a bug.
    As far as firmware updates go, don't hold your breath.

So you reckon the option of a user to unset the panel is a bug. They are user commands that only a user with the user option selected for them will ever see. There is no need for a firmware update.

In unarmed state:

Secure Watch: Entering code brings up "FULL SET" option

Secure Wave: Entering code brings up "Unset" option even though panel is not set. I've got considerable experience in the IT side of things and this really sounds like a bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

Jnealon wrote: »

Sounds like the USER MENU & MANAGER MENU have been set up by the installer.

OP did you change the user 1 options to a user and manager menu?

In unarmed state:

Secure Watch: Entering code brings up "FULL SET" option

Secure Wave: Entering code brings up "Unset" option even though panel is not set. I've got considerable experience in the IT side of things and this really sounds like a bug!

That does not make it a bug. It is the way HKC have it set up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its not a bug its very poorly set up IMO.

I have to agree...

Whether it's a bug or not - It's very bad software design practice as it makes setting the panel a little more complicated.

Usercode - Down Button - Yes

Should Be:

Usercode - Yes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TBH I have very little to do with HKC.But most other manufacturers would change this on my opinion alone.That's how bad it is.

koolkid wrote: »
    TBH I have very little to do with HKC.But most other manufacturers would change this on my opinion alone.That's how bad it is.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭NDJ4

I have to agree...

Whether it's a bug or not - It's very bad software design practice as it makes setting the panel a little more complicated.

Should Be:

Usercode - Yes

There are multiple ways to arm a HKC panel, digiking did you must have given user 1 code the User menu/manager menu option because it shouldn't be like this by default?

The easiest way to arm the panel is to enable quick codes so to arm the panel just press #4 and it will arm. Pretty simple IMO. Not allowed by the EN50131 standards but on a self install this is not an issue.

Also by default user codes are not set up with the user or manager menu options so simply entering a user code will arm/disarm the panel without having to select any other options.

No other panels that I can think of are this simple to use they all require you to select Yes or enter etc. to select Full set.

I have to agree...

Should Be:

Usercode - Yes

Are you serious, thats complicated for someone with considerable experience in IT :confused:

Well its not :)

But...It's really bad software design...

If your rushing out the door...Typing your code + pressing yes will not set your alarm...Easy mistake to make

As you've said turning off the menu's gets around this problem but still...

Well its not :)

But...It's really bad software design...

If your rushing out the door...Typing your code + pressing yes will not set your alarm...Easy mistake to make

As you've said turning off the menu's gets around this problem but still...

I am glad its not as complicated as you led us to believe..
    If its done as I said in my first post it wont be an issue as you can simply use your code to arm and disarm the panel. No need to press yes either.

The user and manager is set up for different reasons, it might not suit you in your situation but there are a lot of other people who it will suit. Is having the unset as the first one on the list a bug. I dont believe it is. It is the way HKC have it set up.

In my opinion the options should be listed based on the status of the system.
    If the system is armed then Disarm should be the first & obvious option.
    If the system is Disarmed the Full Set then Part Set should be the order of the options.
    Its a very simple software change & it would not be difficult to change.
    It would eliminate the possibility of selecting Disarm when rushing out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

koolkid wrote: »
    In my opinion the options should be listed based on the status of the system.
    If the system is armed then Disarm should be the first & obvious option.
    If the system is Disarmed the Full Set then Part Set should be the order of the options.
    Its a very simple software change & it would not be difficult to change.
    It would eliminate the possibility of selecting Disarm when rushing out the door.

As far as i am aware the user menu and manager menu are fixed regardless of the panel state. I think this is due to having a block system so the customer can choose which area to arm / disarm. I only user the manager / user menu when i have a block system set up so the manager can arm/disarm different areas with the one code.

Why have a user code set to user and manager ? just have two codes one to set and unset and the other to enter user / manager menu .

That is the best way to set them up.
    A lot of people like the user and manager set up as they can see on the screen what they are doing when setting and unsetting the alarm.

Having two codes is not an appropriate solution to the op's problem.
    As I said before the panel should know it's own status and offer the appropriate options when the code is typed in.

I agree. In my experience the average domestic user does not want or need 2 codes.

• Advertisement

I disagree, a lot of people have different codes for cleaners/work men/keyholders or neighbours so they know who has set and unset the alarm.

This might not suit the op but it does suit a lot of other people.

Advertisement