Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a cracked window, them or us?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

The windows and frames at the front of the house were put in 2 years ago and recently we have noticed a 10 inch or so crack on the inside of the living room window. Only 3 adults in the house and full length blinds on the windows and were sure no damage was inflicted on the window by us and no damage on the outside nor any damage to the blinds. The contact does not give us any mention of a guarantee timeframe but i think we just assumed being windows they would have at least 3 or maybe 5 or more years covered on it, but the suppliers say we will have to pay for the replacment window as too much time has gone by. Should we argue with this? Im thinking the most likely sceanario is a problem with the glass itself, anyone got any thoughts on it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Am guessing it would be a hard thing to prove. Myself, I would replace the glass and if it happened again I'd argue it with them. Might not necessarily be the glass but the fitting of the window itself cause a small crack that grew over time. Send them an email so that you'd have a record of it should it happen again or even get it replaced using them. Just my thoughts though

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it a gap (a hole) or a crack (something is broken)?

Is the crack in the glass, the frame, between the glass and the frame, between the frame and the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Could have been caused by thermal shock in which case it was could have been caused by either the blinds or possibly the cold weather.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Can-Thermal-Shock-Cracking-Affect-Your-Glazing?&id=3447138

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A surveyor/engineer would probably be the one to call in, as no-one is going to believe the opinion of anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Victor wrote: »
    Is it a gap (a hole) or a crack (something is broken)?

Is the crack in the glass, the frame, between the glass and the frame, between the frame and the wall?

Its just a crack in the glass, nothing else.

Thanks for the ideas, ill just put it to him that i think its unusual for a relatively new window to crack like that and see what he says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Glass breaks in three primary situations:
    1. Before, during or immediately after installing. In an extreme case, within a year of installing as the building settles / shrinks.
    2. After many years where the joints in (in particular) the opening sections come loose.
    3. Someone hit it.

In all likelihood, 3 is the cause and you have no recourse to the installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

nicol wrote: »
    Could have been caused by thermal shock in which case it was could have been caused by either the blinds or possibly the cold weather.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Can-Thermal-Shock-Cracking-Affect-Your-Glazing?&id=3447138

He mentioned that hes had a few customers ringing him up with cracks after the cold weather but its very difficult to say exactly what caused them. He said that moisture can in some cases freeze before it drains off and possibly cause a crack to develop. After thinking about what he said it sounds possible that this was just a somehow faulty pane of glass and even if he wont pay the cost of replacement i think he should at least give us a very good replacement quote. Ill wait and see what he quotes for the glass.

Advertisement