Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would you change 2fm given the chance ?

• 11-01-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭

Well how would the great and the good of the wireless forum change to help 2fm improve.

I'd get tubridy off his slot and I don't know lauch him into orbit or something. Baz and lucy should be booted off weekend breakfast, listened to it a few times in work on a saturday and it came across as utter tripe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Holy Warlord

Fire everyone.
    Start from scratch.
    As an arm of the state broadcaster, stick to the principle of quality over popularity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Tell the DJ's to STFU and play some decent music. It's really that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Get rid of the fella on a Sunday afternoon, John Kelly I think his name is. Plays 60s music that sends me to sleep. Complete rubbish. His voice is a great cure for insomnia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Poly wrote: »
    Tell the DJ's to STFU and play some decent music. It's really that simple.

Like rick O' Shea ? I decided to listen to him yesterday and in between songs he was going on and on about how people proposed to each other. Madness.

I would keep Dave Fanning and Larry Gogan but Lucy Kennedy needs to go ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2FM#Current_presenters_and_shows

This is the current schedule of 2fm according to wiki.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I'd get rid of most of them! I can't stand the zig and zag trash on Saturday mornings and I hate Dave Fanning 2! I'd keep Will Leahy tho I think he's the best of them! Bring back Nicky Hayes 2! can't believe they let her go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Put Matthew Bannister in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Replace Tubridy with Dave Fanning. He was surprisingly great last week. Turned off this week...for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Mandatory grammar lessons and a monthly quiz for ANY persons being employed to speak on radio.

- It's FEWER people, not LESS people
    - It's NUMBER of people not AMOUNT of people
    - It's people WHO not people THAT
    - There's no need to use the word Different after the word Various. The use of the word various implies that there is a difference.

It is not fair that these idiots get to broadcast while people who can speak properly are drawing the dole. We need to set a high standard and let people know that no, it's not acceptable to speak like an idiot and no, our licence fee does not go towards promoting such bastardisation of the mother tongue. But alas, we're still subjected.

Oh and an INSTANT ban on pseudo-american accents and an introduction of a selection of accents which are representative of the country as a whole. 25% of the population is from dublin, yet I would say 95% of the accents on 2FM are Dublin accents. Lets hear some reigonal ones and less of the morkeshing on the saith baind rindabaish with the cainti caincil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The realise that most TV?radio stations give the majority of people what they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Oh and an INSTANT ban on pseudo-american accents and an introduction of a selection of accents which are representative of the country as a whole. 25% of the population is from dublin, yet I would say 95% of the accents on 2FM are Dublin accents. Lets hear some reigonal ones and less of the morkeshing on the saith baind rindabaish with the cainti caincil?

Oh how I feel your pain, this drives me crazy. Unfortunately, it's prevalent on all radio stations....particularly among the younger female broadcasters. (2fm have/had annoying examples in Jenny Greene, Lucy Kennedy, Nikki Hayes etc)

The worst aspect of this, is that it's perceived by some (presumably these broadcasters employers) as 'well spoken'....genuinely depressing.

+1 for the instant ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

fabbydabby wrote: »

While im no defender of 2fm lets have a look at your assertion that 2fm is dominated by pseudo american accents and peopled by dubs at the expense of people from outside of the pale:

Hector : from navan.. no american accent

Tubs: from blackrock.. possible american accent

Colm hayes : from santry.... sounds as american as Ronnie Drew

Larry Gogan : the 73 year old pensioner is apparently a legend and untouchable so i'll move on

Rick o Shea : real name paul crossan .. from Drimnagh .. a hint of an american accent at times nothing major

Will Leahy : From Limerick ..and sounds it too

Dave Fanning : dublin born and bred and sounds it

Jenny Huston : Canadian...so you might have a point with her

Dan hegarty : from Sandymount ... with origins like that he never stood a chance ... yanky accent

Ruth Scott : from roscommon .. sounds like a bogger to me

Cormac Battle : originally from bromley in the UK and now a native of kilkenny

Michael Cahill : Cork born and bred, although not the strongest of cork accents ..no hint of sounding like john wayne

Paddy Mckenna : cant find details but he sound like a bogger

So hopefully after a little bit of research i have exploded the myth that 2fm is populated by yanky sounding d4 jocks at the expense of those from outside of Dublin. From the above list I count 7 from outside of dublin. Again I am no apologist for 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Fire everyone.
    Start from scratch.
    As an arm of the state broadcaster, stick to the principle of quality over popularity.

But surely Quality would be popular? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

There is much you could say about 2FM, none of it good.

I think I'd start by getting some decent management into the station, followed by replacement of the majority, possibly all of its presenters.

The public has been badly served by this public service station. Thank goodness for Today FM and my CD collection.

(As I get older I simply flip the switch. Larry Gogan's Just-a-minute quiz is infamous - for being several decades past its sell by date. Proof that highly paid RTE producers and management haven't an ounce of good judgement).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It's impossible to know where to start with the station. It has no direction for me as a listener. Obviously witht he sudden passing of G Ryan last year it was chance to re-brand/redefine the station and possibly either change the format and/or start from scratch...throw the script away so to speak. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have happened. In fact as a listener I put it near its worst output in years. This bull**** that Turbidy wasn't able for 3 hours of radio.. horse manure. If that was the case they should have left Colm Hayes on his own from 9 to 12. Now he sits in no mans land at 11am. As for the show times that speaks volumes...
    I can't listen to it anymore. Simple as. The basics in radio are missing. A clear and concise music format and a fairly straight forward line up. All this messin around from 10 different presenters doesn't help matters. Less is more. God love the marketing department.

6-7 Show no 1
    7-9 Show no 2
    9-11 Show no 3
    11-1 Show no 4
    1-2 Show no 5
    2-4:30 Show no 6
    4:30-7 Show no 7
    7-9 Show no 8
    9-11 Show no 9
    11- 1 Show no 10 (presenters second show of the day btw)

Just compare it to Today FM as an example:

5-7 Show 1
    7-9 Show 2
    9-12 Show 3
    12-2:30 show 4
    2:30-4:30 Show 5
    4:30-7 Show 6
    7-10 Show 7
    10-12 Show 8

Ok so its only 2 less shows but its tighter and the output generally stays the same all day. It does what it says on the tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I'd get rid of the thing. RTE is a public service broadcaster. I really can't see what 2FM offers that isn't being offered by the myriad of private stations around the country who play chart and popular music all day. I realise it's self-funding, but it's not like it fills a need that others cannot, or will not provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Tubbers and Ruth scott. P-45's.......... attatched to a rock thrown at them from a height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

telekon wrote: »
    Replace Tubridy with Dave Fanning. He was surprisingly great last week. Turned off this week...for obvious reasons.

This is the first thing I would do, too. I've always liked Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Dave Fanning is an absolutely brutal dj.
    His music selection from 7-9pm mon-thursday is absolute manure,pure self indulgent SHYTE that only dave fanning does & can enjoy.
    I work with a fairly wide demographic and once fanning starts at 7pm daily it changes the whole mood of the place.
    So,for the purpose of the thread fanning would be #1 for me to get moved to somewhere,a more appropriate timeslot,2-4am.

Ruth Scott & the super patronizing Michael 'The Kid' Cahill are also less than my favourite djs.

I think another of 2fms problems is the CONSTANT rehashing of the same Top 10 shyte records.
    Jesus i must hear katy perry & rihanna 5 times each at least everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭winter soldier

they should get rid of fanning and gogan for a start. 2fm should introduce a broader mix of music in the daytime and in the evening play more underground and esoteric music. if they could employ an irish version of john peel then i would definitely tune in. oh and a metal show as well. maybe 2 metal shows. one for more mainstream metal and hard rock and another for all the black/thrash/doom/power metal stuff that i love. oh and no unfunny radio dj's laughing at their own jokes. these guys think they are great radio personalities when in reality they are irritating twonks. and just before i go how about scrapping the morning phone in shows that gerry ryan used to do. i want music not mad randomers ringin up to talk garbage about whatever is troubling them that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

This is the first thing I would do, too. I've always liked Dave.

Me too.:pac:

Advertisement