Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECON20010, MATH20170, MATH20260 or MATH20270?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Ello,

I'm trying to decide what elective to pick this semester, as my initial one got cancelled. At the moment I'm in first year BAFS and I'm thinking of taking one of the recommended modules from next year.

If anybody done any of these subjects, can you please advise what have you found the hardest in the subject, what was easy? How did the assessment go?

ECON20010 Intermediate Microeconomics
    MATH20170 Introduction to Analysis
    MATH20260 The Mathematics of Google
    MATH20270 Theory of Games

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Personally I think you are a bit mad to be doing an option from next years course because you have to pick two of them anyway I think? So if you pick 1 as an elective you will only have a choice of 2 out of 3 as opposed to 4 if you get me.

I'm in 4th year BAFS and have done easy electives so far so as not to harm any exemption subjects. I did introduction to quantitative economics in first year and we all found it fairly easy.

Economics in society is meant to be interesting but its quite essay based and quite a big course so might take up a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Thanks for your advice! I'm thinking of picking one easy elective next year.. but do something useful this year, as not to have too much of workload when all the exemption kick in.. In the end decided to go with intermediate micro.. Lets see how it goes...

Also, if I may ask a question.. When you had your work experience, did it matter to employer what subjects you were doing? Or do they look only at the exemption ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Its something you can say in interviews alright and say something along the lines of "Everyone did real easy electives but I picked one that I felt would challenge me etc". I'd ask the course co-ordinators if you are allowed to do them first if I were you just to be safe. I remember we weren't allowed do accounting as an elective because we were going to be doing it in second year.

Regards work experience, some companies want you to have a first class average and others don't care. If you ever were thinking about investment banking it might be beneficial to do ones in finance or computer programming.

I'd recommend algorithmic problem solving first semester next year. Very doable and you could actually make that sound like a good module in interviews. Mentioned in loads of threads on here actually.

PM me if you want more advice

Advertisement