Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweets you like that most hate.

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:12pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm here enjoying some aniseed balls. I'm the only one I know that likes them apart from my mother. My husband loves those horrible Parma violets you get in swizzles bumper bags.

Are there any sweets or snacks you like that other people tell you you're sick for liking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ha, I like aniseed balls too!
    I also like Turkish Delight (both Frys & Cadbury) .. I'm sure I'll think of more soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Love parma violets!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Aniseed Balls, i'd love some right now!! Actually, i'd love to fid some real old fashioned Aniseed Balls, Nancy balls we called them growing up(my motherrs influence!) The one''s you find in Sweet Factory are nice but far too much artificial flavouring. Love Liqourice of any kind, Turkish Delight is a winner too, real or Cadbury's kind. I love Clove Rock too.....:p

Liqourice & clove rock, on the good list for me :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I like marzipan too. Would love a big box of them.

And the orange, strawberry and coffee creams in the tins of roses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I like marzipan too. Would love a big box of them.

And the orange, strawberry and coffee creams in the tins of roses.
    Wish they still were in the tins of Roses :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Love Aniseed balls... parma violets... the strawberry and orange creams from the roses... cough sweets... turkish delight (fry's though, not cadbury!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Forgot to mention Fry's Peppermint Cream, i don't know anyone else who likes them, and they are just heaven........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^^ Seriously? I know lots of people who like them. My sister for one. I don't not like them, I just never buy them coz there are other bars I prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I like the strawberry chocolates in a box of Roses that nobody eats! I also love Turkish delight

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rachaelf750

I bought a lovely roll of ritchie's cinnamons lozenges,and I think their lovely,the rest of the family hate them,great,this means I can have them all to myself!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I eat more 'Salmiakki' than I'd care to admit. I don't think there is anyone related to me that would go near it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salty_liquorice

800pxsalmiakkihalva.jpg

Tastes like liquorice with a pinch of table salt, with a slight undertone of umm.. something that has fermented.

Available in all shapes and sizes, soft and hard too. I like the plastic tubs with the small round pastilles.

Amalgam, where can i get hold of some of this?!!! A greek friend gave me some a few years back as a gift and i really liked it, but can't find it at all!!

Oh, and Das Kitty-have you tried making your own? I made Pistachio marzipans for my dad for christmas because he loves those Mozart Kugeln, and a lot of them didn't make it into the box heheheh!!:D Dead easy, did it the cheats way first with a block of almond marzipan and ground pistachios and dark chocolate, but i liked them so much that i made them from scratch after!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

shinikins wrote: »
    Amalgam, where can i get hold of some of this?!!!

Relatives bring them over from France, strangely, one of the Hypermarkets stock the sweet. I've never actually bought it from Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Picnics are a much loathed bar in my house.. I got everyone's out of their selection boxes this year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Bounty is my favorite bar by a mile but alot of people hate em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Eugh hate Bounty. I love the orange and strawberry sweets in the roses tins aswell. Must say I despise marzipan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

bountys. i always buy so i dont have to share :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Salty liquorice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

greetings wrote: »
    Eugh hate Bounty.

Oh the irony..

I absolutely love Bounty's. Though I did hate them with a passion up until last summer. I went from not being able to look at them, to specifically requesting them from everyone who went out to the shops..
    5 for 2 euro's in most 2 euro shops.. Brilliant stuff! Although I haven't had one since the summer. Must get one now!

Also, who doesn't like the strawberry and orange cremes? They are the first ones to go in my house...

I love Terry's chocolate orange segments on top of chilli doritos. Amaze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Oh the irony..

What's ironic?
    I met a few people who don't like Walnut Whips,love them.

I don't know if they aren't liked, but no one talks about Topics.. AT ALL.

I love them, totally under rated and I know if I pick one up for my mum she's always delighted.

It's the chocolate bar you never think to buy but love when you have..

I like Topics!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BigDinny

I got some salty liquorice on the on the way home from Amsterdam before - loved it, but felt strange afterwards, especially after seeing the health warning on the side. I also liked Ritter Sport with Smarties- they were a limited edition in Germany a few years ago- delicious!

I can't stand any Hershey's chocolate - it tastes "gone off". I just can't put my finger on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

BigDinny wrote: »
    I got some salty liquorice on the on the way home from Amsterdam before - loved it, but felt strange afterwards, especially after seeing the health warning on the side. I also liked Ritter Sport with Smarties- they were a limited edition in Germany a few years ago- delicious!

I can't stand any Hershey's chocolate - it tastes "gone off". I just can't put my finger on it..

It is! They curdle the milk at the start of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BigDinny

Plowman wrote: »

It said that those with hypertension should limit or avoid the consumption of the liqourice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Love the strawberry and orange roses/quality streets. Fry's Trukish delight or any 'real' turkish delight. Bounty bars.

Hate aniseed, clove rock, marzipan, very dark chocolate or absolutely anything with peanuts in it.

Advertisement