Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Failing?

• 11-01-2011 10:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I left my 360 on overnight the other evening (didn't notice until the morning), I now notice that if I power up with the hard drive attached it's very slow to boot up, I also can't connect to xbox live, if I detach the drive it boots up at normal speed although I can't connect to live, I assume this is a sign that my drive is on it's way out, can anyone give me any pointers on something I can do to fix it?

If I can't fix it, would I be better moving on to an Elite? My Xbox is 1 of the originals (drive is 5 years old, system was replaced 2 years ago due to RROD), I could easily find another use for this xbox with no drive attached :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If you can't fix it and want to upgrade then get the Slim, the latest revision of xbox 360 console out there.

If you don't then buy a new hard drive - they're on the cheap now. You can transfer your data using a transfer cable.

Having a hard drive has no bearing on xbox live connectivity, there is something else wrong there.

The slow boot is a weird one but there's a few tests to do if you're interested in keeping the drive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Cheers, any links/advice would be greatly appreciated, I'll have a go tomorrow evening after work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Well for connectivity I'd try the Xbox Live Connection Test, you'll find it somewhere on your dashboard, probably Settings -> Network Settings.

For the hard drive, well most of the tests will require a PC and willingness to break the warranty seal to hook it up to a PC for checking the drive's SMART status,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I might just get a laptop harddrive and take the casing apart, I've looked into it and it doesn't seem to be too hard (hopefully), as I said it's well out of warranty anyway so the seal doesn't bother me, in fact I don't mind if I've to create a new gamertag either

Advertisement