Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Café/Coffee shop with free wifi?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    My local place in Ranelagh is closing down unfortunately, so I'm wondering does anyone know of a nice place to bring a laptop to and sit about for a few hours, for food and coffee and without feeling you're overstaying your welcome?

Somewhere around Dublin 6 would be ideal!

Thanks for any tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Which place in Ranelagh is closing down? There's two places that do free wifi in Ranelagh isn't there? There's Coffee Society and then the place a few doors down. Don't know the name of it. Haven't lived in Ranelagh for a couple of years but pass through every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Which place in Ranelagh is closing down? There's two places that do free wifi in Ranelagh isn't there? There's Coffee Society and then the place a few doors down. Don't know the name of it. Haven't lived in Ranelagh for a couple of years but pass through every so often.

I didn't realise Coffee Society did free wifi, I'll check it out. Sentosa which is a bit further down on the same side of the road is closing down on Sunday, was a great place with big couches and very friendly staff. Coffee Society looks fairly cramped in comparison with more of a drink your coffee and leave vibe :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

As far as I know a couple of the cafes in Rathmines have free wifi...or if you venture into the city the IFI has wifi and is nice to sit for a while drinking coffee and doing some work on laptop, or pretend to work.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

insomnia in rathmines has free wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

The Bernard Shaw has free wifi and they would kick you out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

CBFi wrote: »
    The Bernard Shaw has free wifi and they would kick you out!

'wouldn't kick you out'

Suggesting a place that would kick you out wouldnt be very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Would anyone recommend a coffee shop/quiet bar in the city centre (D2) for the same reasons? Lotta college work to catch up on and well sick of the library

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Moda in rathmines and the village cafe both have free wifi i think. Also the coffee shop/bar Toast beside moda has free wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Would anyone recommend a coffee shop/quiet bar in the city centre (D2) for the same reasons? Lotta college work to catch up on and well sick of the library

I love the IFI in Temple Bar but not sure how 'quiet' I'd call it, I lucky I find it easy enough to tune out.

Havana's on Georges st in another great one and they give you a minstral with your coffee which is a small but nice touch.

Am sure there are loads more but those two sprung to mind instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think The Globe pub have free Wifi too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Cianos wrote: »
    My local place in Ranelagh is closing down unfortunately, so I'm wondering does anyone know of a nice place to bring a laptop to and sit about for a few hours

So the cafe that let you sit, buy nothing and abuse their wifi for hours on end is closing down! Wonder why that is? I'm sure other establishments are currently fighting over patronage.

Try McDonalds, I couldn't care less if they closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

So the cafe that let you sit, buy nothing and abuse their wifi for hours on end is closing down! Wonder why that is? I'm sure other establishments are currently fighting over patronage.

Did you deliberately leave out the bit where the OP said "for food and coffee"? It was immediately after the section you quoted.

So, yes, I do think that any café would be very glad of the OP's patronage.

I found West Coast Coffee on Wexford St., Munchies just off Jervis street and the Twisted Pepper on Middle Abbey St. good for net access.

Not that near Ranelagh, but the coffee in the Twisted Pepper was quality imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tone it down around here, ok!.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

www.3fe.ie in Twisted Pepper, Middle Abbey St, as mentioned :)

I would often spend ~15 euro a day there, tip the staff, bring friends there who would also spend money, and always get my take away coffee from there. The reason I and a lot of other people went there is because it was relaxing and there was no rush to get in and out.

In any case, it's up to the establishment what kind of experience they want to provide. If people make use of that it's only because it was accommodated.

For anyone who is interested, the café I was talking about, Sentosa, has reopened under different management :)

They don't have wifi at the moment but it's coming shortly apparently.

Advertisement