Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham -v- Manchester United 16th Jan 16:10 (match thread)

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSXImhxvtEeK7lgUfbfdgZ5cUArRKsFo3iq_lqMyuRM5ebOAwhvs images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5C5I-awiQdLOB1RsaaOAvdqeFdCPbHniQJDQDUPkhYJIQ3iD3QA

A really big game for us. We will have had plenty of rest by the time this game kicks-off (@ 4:10, why not 4 anyone?) what with the FA Cup and no midweek games. This is probably our best chance in years to beat Man U, they may be unbeaten, but they haven't exactly set the world alight with their performances. They have been conceeding sloppy goals this season which uncharacteristic for them. It should benefit us though, our attack has been nothing short of phenomenol this year (injuries considered), our defence however, leaves a lot to be desired. My biggest worry for this game is the midfield however. At OT we were simply destroyed there, which ultimately cost us the match IMO. Palacios has to start, along side Modric of course, and hopefully Van der Vaart will drop deeper than normal, somehow, I doubt it though.
    I've heard Vidic is an injury doubt for them, which would be a huge bonus if he missed out. Also a bonus, Rooney and VDS have a doubts over their fitness, but I imagine both will start. Scholes is also out but AFAIK they have a full strength team to pick from otherwise. We will be missing long term absentees Thudd, King, Woody (?) and O' Hara. Other than that we have a full squad.
    IMO the teams will line out as follows;
    United:
    VDS
    Rafael --- Vidic --- Rio --- Evra
    Nani --- Fletch --- Anderson --- Giggs
    Rooney --- Berbatov

Spurs:
    Gomes
    Hutton --- Dawson --- Gallas --- BAE
    Lennon --- Palacios --- Modric --- Bale
    Van der Vaart
    Defoe

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

A Little premature ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Not premature at all, this is a huge match. It's a very similar situation as last year - we're flying relatively high, having lost only once in 13, 4th in the table and with a team playing the true Tottenham way. Utd, on the other hand, have had a hanful of good performances, have won so many games with scrappy, hard-fought results, and are somehow sitting on the top of the table with the league already completely in their hands without having hit top gear.

Last year we almost expected that we were going to beat them (I know I did) and we were well beaten, with Anderson scoring his first ever goal for Utd. We've scratched one hoodoo by beating a top 4 team away this season and it would be lovely to finally put one over them.

I'd love to beat them. We are now a tough team to beat and battle to the last minute, but so do they. I have an awful feeling that they'll beat us because it's the same feeling I have every time we play them, but (and I hope I'm not jinxing it) we're a much better team now, with much better options than even last year. It's definitely the best time to take them and I really hope we do.

As for the team, I agree with exactly what THFC has above.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Oh it's in White hart lane too isn't it

i think it was a few years ago when Roy Carroll ''saved'' the ball or was that Old Trafford

This is always a controversial match

it was Nani's controversial goal in september/october wasn't it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Anyone know who's refereeing this game?I hope for our sake It's not Clattenburg or Webb.United have to Lose a game sometime and it would be brilliant if it was us who beats them but as everyone knows our record against them is ****e, but seeing that the game is being played at the Lane my hopes for a win will be well up.......COYS.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I've given up on the Utd games to be honest. I'd love to do them.

I'd be delighted with a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

tippspur wrote: »
    Anyone know who's refereeing this game?I hope for our sake It's not Clattenburg or Webb.United have to Lose a game sometime and it would be brilliant if it was us who beats them but as everyone knows our record against them is ****e, but seeing that the game is being played at the Lane my hopes for a win will be well up.......COYS.......

The way things have gone over the years, if I was in charge at Spurs, I'd be asking for a foreign neutral refereeing team.

Far too many bad decisions in games gone by and always to our detriment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

^^HA yup

I was about to post that I'd like to think we'd win this game, but we'll see what the ref has to say about things

Mike Dean is the ref for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SuprSi wrote: »

I was kinda hoping for phil dowd I like him and i think he likes us :pac:

At least its not Fergies love child, Mark Clattenburg again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Clattenburg or Webb and we were fcuked, we'll beat them now ;)

Relief:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

he likes gallas , especially when he in offside positions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

THFC wrote: »

and hopefully Van der Vaart will drop deeper than normal, somehow, I doubt it though.

If VDV drops too deep it'll leave Defoe isolated up front. VDV will have to stay as close to Defoe as possible if we're to have have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

Looking forward to this game, ill be hoping for a Utd result - at least a draw hopefully :)

Spurs have drawn a lot of home games this season & in the premiership haven't really been scoring as heavily at WHL as they should imo.

VDV, Bale, Modric etc - plenty players who can hurt Utd.

Should be a great match but my money is on the draw.

Oh and btw - come on Utd!!!

You have to wonder if the media clown Beckham will be there to witness this one.

Maybe he'll come out at half time and do a song or possibly show off his newest tattoo.

God help us.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Maybe Rich, I'm sure that's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

3-1 win spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Manutd to win 2-0.

That is all.

Harry Redknapp expects Gareth Bale to be fit to face United on Sunday.

The midfielder departed early from the loss at Everton on January 5 with a back problem and was rested for last weekend's FA Cup win against Charlton.

"Gareth has missed a couple of days training but he should be okay," reported Harry on Friday. "We're in good shape. We've pretty much a full squad."

Younes Kaboul is available again after suspension and that leaves long-term injured Ledley King (groin) and Tom Huddlestone (ankle) on the sidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

We are going to win this Ladies and Gents.
    I can feel it in me waters!
    It's about time we took United down to size.
    Great to have Kaboul back with Michael D :D

yidweiser wrote: »
    Great to have Kaboul back with Michael D :D

Gallas will play id imagine with Daws..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

VDS is doubtful for United could play though he is traveling with the match day squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Can see a high score draw here maybe a 3-3.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    You have to wonder if the media clown Beckham will be there to witness this one.

Maybe he'll come out at half time and do a song or possibly show off his newest tattoo.

God help us.
    God help us is right..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have a funny feeling about this, my head is saying it's gonna be 1-3 oh but my heart is just slowly saying that today might be the day. I'm going with the heart and saying 2-1

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I have butterflies with this one. I usually watch this fixture with a Motley crue of United fans, but not this one, I just want to enjoy it. We are well up for it from Rafaels and Harrys comments. I hope Crouch doesnt start though, he is doing my head in again.

I expect Lennon to have a stormer in this, with the sideshow of Becks as a motivating factor. I expect to be bopping after this one, I am all in Spurs to win!!!

1415: Some early news from Spurs, not of the team variety. Tottenham High Road has been shut off for an hour with 500 Spurs fans protesting about the proposed move to Stratford. They want the stadium redeveloped in north London. Police have arrived and there's major disruption, with directors getting there late and players using a different entrance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tottenham: Gomes, Hutton, Dawson, Gallas, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon, Palacios, Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart, Crouch.

• Advertisement

Crouch starting is interesting and doesn't fill me with confidence as we'll most likely try to hit his head for a VDV lay-off, but with Vidic back there we'll struggle to get the ball properly to him.

Advertisement