Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I covered by VHI??

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi
    I need to undergo a minor procedure to resolve a sinus issue but have only had a VHI membership for three months. How long must i be a vhi member before I am covered to undergo the operation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Two important questions you need to answer....

1. Were you insured with a different company immediately before your VHI membership started?

If 'yes' then you don't have to go through any waiting period because the spirit and letter of the law is that you do not suffer a break in cover when you change insurer, otherwise nobody would change for fear of falling ill during the waiting period with the new insurer.

2. Is the procedure related to a pre-existing condition?

If the answer is 'no' you should be ok for immediate cover. I believe if the answer is 'yes' then the waiting period depends on your age, older people have to wait longer before the insurer will pay for treatment for pre-existing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It could also depend on the plan you have, some covering more than others, some having longer periods than other potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

petes2008 wrote: »
    Hi
    I need to undergo a minor procedure to resolve a sinus issue but have only had a VHI membership for three months. How long must i be a vhi member before I am covered to undergo the operation?

No you won't be covered as there is 6 months waiting period for new conditions and 5 years for pre existing conditions. If a dr. says it was present before you took out the cover, it will be regarded as a pre existing condition. Only chance would be if they waived initial waiting period. CHeck with VHI - good luck with that - before getting any procedure carried out.

Advertisement