Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg IPSWICH TOWN v ARSENAL 19:45 sky sports

• 11-01-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Arsenal's best chance to win a trophy since 2005. Will be massive confidence boost to Arsenal if we win the Carling Cup and prove our doubters wrong.

Tough match because Ipswich will be up for it but if we can just get through the first leg than we should be ok.

Just wish Roy Keane was still in charge of Ipswich.......

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not sure how it is going to be a Tough match - weren't they just stuffed 7-0 by chelsea?
    They are rudderless in the extreme - Arse will surely be in the final long before the return leg I reckon.
    I would love for the Hammers to win the cup, but if not Arse definately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Not sure how it is going to be a Tough match - weren't they just stuffed 7-0 by chelsea?
    They are rudderless in the extreme - Arse will surely be in the final long before the return leg I reckon.
    I would love for the Hammers to win the cup, but if not Arse definately!

They have a point to prove after losing their manager and than getting hammered in the cup. Expect them to be fired up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

They can fired up as much as they want, we should be fired up for this too. A chance to book a place in a domestic cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Will be massive confidence boost to Arsenal if we win the Carling Cup and prove our doubters wrong.

lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    lol.

4-0 against West Ham mate. You have also won this trophy last couple of years so don't go telling me it is not important.

• Advertisement

lol.
    Funny really. One minute its about winning trophies, next minute it is what trophies. Make up your minds. Actually don't, you don't dictate what clubs should be doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They have a point to prove after losing their manager and than getting hammered in the cup. Expect them to be fired up.

Seriously?
    They lost their manager = fired up = 7-0 loss
    7-0 loss = fired up = I would really expect at least a 3-0 loss (minimum)

Any less would be as much a shock as us winning the league this year -
    next year however....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

doesnt matter how much chelsea beat them by - this is a different game. my only hope is that we dont take this game for granted and underestimate ipswich. it is a cup competition after all - theres always the possibility of a shock and since were so close to a final id hate to see us make a balls of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think anyone should scoff at the trophy. I think it's always good to win a domestic honour. I'd probably prefer to see Birmingham win it for Carr to get to lift the trophy (and Fahey as well) but if not them I would be pleased to see Wenger win it after all the flak he's received from certain sections of the media for not winning anything since '05. I think he's had to deal with a lot of misfortune since (big players seeking new pastures, injuries to big players and so on) yet he has remained true to his principles and has kept Arsenal Football Club in solid shape, whilst trying to stay loyal to much maligned players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I've just been reminded that I'd been meaning to fire up the 'ignore' function for the first time.

I'm a little disappointed that you still see that the person has posted but it'll be an improvement on the drivel I was seeing up till now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

sonic85 wrote: »
    since were so close to a final id hate to see us make a balls of it
    One part of me can sense us making a really hard job of it... the other doesn't see much in them to be scared of. It's the way that the fringe players have performed at times this year though that makes it so uncertain.

We might see Miquel at CB - if that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see Song or Wilshere play in midfield to add a bit more than Eastmond might. I'd be slightly concerned about goals with the front 3 we'll likely play (Bendtner - Chamakh - Vela) but hopefully it'll be an 'on' night or at least one of them.

I'd play our best team in the final to be honest (if we make the final, which we should..).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol.

whats with the lol ?

tbh any trophy at this stage is what Arsenal need so they can get an appetite for winning

Headshot wrote: »
    whats with the lol ?

tbh any trophy at this stage is what Arsenal need so they can get an appetite for winning

I would agree any trophy will do for Arse, but, they have the appetite for winning, what they need ANY trophy for is to taste success.

4-0 against West Ham mate. You have also won this trophy last couple of years so don't go telling me it is not important.

I didn't, you're imagining things if you think that's the case.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Funny really. One minute its about winning trophies, next minute it is what trophies. Make up your minds. Actually don't, you don't dictate what clubs should be doing.

Same as above, I didn't dictate what clubs should be doing.
    Headshot wrote: »
    whats with the lol ?

I agree, I just lol'd because it's funny, if the doubters can't see that Arsenal actually have a very good team, I doubt the Carling Cup is going to change their minds.

I however, am not a doubter, and I do believe they will challenge for the EPL to the end this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I would agree any trophy will do for Arse, but, they have the appetite for winning, what they need ANY trophy for is to taste success.

:pac:

that's basically what I said except, you swapped success for winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I didn't, you're imagining things if you think that's the case.

Same as above, I didn't dictate what clubs should be doing.

I agree, I just lol'd because it's funny, if the doubters can't see that Arsenal actually have a very good team, I doubt the Carling Cup is going to change their minds.

I however, am not a doubter, and I do believe they will challenge for the EPL to the end this year.
    Good attempt at digging yourself out of a hole tbh. I do believe you are backtracking in a similar fashion to Roy Hodgson though.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Good attempt at digging yourself out of a hole tbh. I do believe you are backtracking in a similar fashion to Roy Hodgson though.
    Are you dissing Roy Hodgson?

I thought for a moment that you might want to have his babies the way you were spunking over him in the pool thread :rolleyes: You're not half fickle are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I don't think anyone should scoff at the trophy. I think it's always good to win a domestic honour. I'd probably prefer to see Birmingham win it for Carr to get to lift the trophy (and Fahey as well) but if not them I would be pleased to see Wenger win it after all the flak he's received from certain sections of the media for not winning anything since '05. I think he's had to deal with a lot of misfortune since (big players seeking new pastures, injuries to big players and so on) yet he has remained true to his principles and has kept Arsenal Football Club in solid shape, whilst trying to stay loyal to much maligned players.

+1

Also I really think what this Arsenal team needs is to win that first trophy, could well be the catalyst they need.

But we can't take anything for granted re the carling cup.

Are you dissing Roy Hodgson?

I thought for a moment that you might want to have his babies the way you were spunking over him in the pool thread :rolleyes: You're not half fickle are you?
    I'm stating that you are backtracking.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm stating that you are backtracking.
    Backtracking?

You don't know me very well then do you?

I don't recall ever backtracking here, I tend to follow my opinions to the end, regardless of how stupid they may seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Arsenal will walk this to be fair. I'm mates with a massive Ipswich fan so I'm hoping that they can pull this off but I don't give them a hope. Nor does my friend who says that Ipswich don't have the players to attempt to bully Arsenal and I reckon even if they play the kids they should run rings round them.

Still, hope I'm proved wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Ah here folks, stop spoiling the thread with this off-topic personal grudge sh*te.

Ipswich will probably do exactly what Leeds did, defend in numbers, break down the wings, and hack us when things go wrong. Too early to start talking about winning a trophy, Arsenal simply need a result here. I would be very surprised if it was a one sided game.

Backtracking?

You don't know me very well then do you?

I don't recall ever backtracking here, I tend to follow my opinions to the end, regardless of how stupid they may seem.
    Well you did there imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I can see Ipswich taking an almighty spanking.

Might throw a tenner on Ipswich to get beat by at least 5 or 6 and for a player to get a hat-trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Djourou needs a rest and Wenger hinted as much in his press conference yesterday so I reckon we'll line up something like:

Woj
    Eboué
    Song
    Koscielny
    Gibbs
    Rosicky---Denilson---Wilshere
    Bendtner
    Chamakh
    Arshavin

I'd prefer to see Song not be put back into defence but there's no-one else who can play there atm unfortunately.

That front line is crap. Bendtner and Chamakh shouldn't be on the pitch at the same time imo unless we're playing 4-4-2, which we don't do. Seeing Bendtner on the wing does my head in.
    Arshavin right wing, Vela left wing and Bendtner/Chamakh up front would be my preferred choice for the start. Then if needed we can bring in RVP/Walcott off the bench.

Wouldn't be entirely surprised to see fab start or rvp for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I now know what Advocaat meant when he said a while back that Arsenal had seen only the best of Arshavin. Frustrating player.

Wouldn't mind seeing Walcott start, playing very well, Wenger should keep the momentum going if possible.

Szczesny, Eboué, Djourou, Koscielny, Gibbs, Denílson, Wilshere, Walcott, Rosický, Arshavin, Chamakh.

Very suprised to see Djourou start. Song gets a deserved rest though.

• Advertisement

knew vela wouldnt start. good strong team that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

That's a good strong team. Happy with that.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Szczesny, Eboué, Djourou, Koscielny, Gibbs, Denílson, Wilshere, Walcott, Rosický, Arshavin, Chamakh.

Very suprised to see Djourou start. Song gets a deserved rest though.

Apparently that's not the line up.

Szczesny, Eboue, Djourou, Koscielny, Gibbs, Walcott, Wilshere, Fabregas, Denilson, Arshavin, Bendtner

Subs: Shea - Chamakh - Ramsey - Vela - Song - Eastmond - Miquel

fabregas starting - better still! hard to know what to make of bendtner starting its been a while since hes started up front could be rusty - we need to convert as many chances as we can tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Where's Rosicky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Arshavin. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Where's Rosicky?

Trim.

ipswich are no pushovers so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ipswich are no pushovers so far

I didn't think they would be to be honest.

i didnt either but there were people on last night who were saying wed trounce them. so thats where mark kennedy went!

i didnt either but there were people on last night who were saying wed trounce them. so thats where mark kennedy went!

Mainly fans of other clubs though, wasn't it? We knew there's be a lot of changes made to the team, wasn't it more or less the strongest team Chelsea had available when they beat them in the FA Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Szczesny's distribution is atrocious. Looking at this game now, unless we get a concentrated focal point for our attacks that isn't Bendtner we ain't going to get too many shots for the keeper to save never mind goals.

Get up the fcuk.

Just waiting on Ipswich to score at this stage.

Pity but too obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The Ipswich players are proving over and over how they are more intelligent than their Arsenal counterparts, even 17 year old Wickham is teaching Eboue a few lessons. Szczesny has been the busier keeper so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Quality disallowed goal. Wickham is a great talent.

SDTimeout wrote: »

Missed that, should it have stood?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

L'prof wrote: »

No, was a definite offside.

SDTimeout wrote: »

hes no rory delap though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

L'prof wrote: »

No, offside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement