Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high end scope comparison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I thought the S&B would have won easy!
    I agree with him saying that the NF and Leupolds are hard to get your eye on to right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Glensman wrote: »
    I thought the S&B would have won easy!
    I agree with him saying that the NF and Leupolds are hard to get your eye on to right...

I've used S&B NF Leupold etc, and I have not noticed that.
    I accept they are a heavier scope, however, they are tough as nails

They never compared Zeiss which I believe was leaving out a world leader in tactical scopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

They never compared Zeiss which I believe was leaving out a world leader in tactical scopes.
    zeiss and hensoldt are practically the same i think, only differance is the turrets i think

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

ormondprop wrote: »
    zeiss and hensoldt are practically the same i think, only differance is the turrets i think

Yeah hensoldt is the zeiss tactical line of scopes.
    I had a leupold 8.5x25 x50 LRT and while it was a good scope it took a while to get used to it.
    The eye relief was the problem. If anyone else looked through it they found it hard to get a good sight picture.
    I have zeiss scopes now and dont have any problem

zeissman wrote: »
    Yeah hensoldt is the zeiss tactical line of scopes.
    I had a leupold 8.5x25 x50 LRT and while it was a good scope it took a while to get used to it.
    The eye relief was the problem. If anyone else looked through it they found it hard to get a good sight picture.
    I have zeiss scopes now and dont have any problem

I have a Leupold VX-III and find the same. I used a NF and found the same with it also. I've only looked thru Zeiss 3-12x50's but got a very good sight picture from these...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

The nightforce is a great scope for target shooting but not the best choice for hunting.
    They are not near as good as the top european scopes in low light conditions.
    My mate got a 8x32x56 NF and he took it out stalking with me one morning. I was using a S/B 3x12x50. While we were waiting for daybreak we decided to compare scopes. We set both scopes at 8 power and compared them.
    We couldnt believe how much brighter the S/B scope was.
    My mate was so dissapointed he sold the NF a week later and bought a zeiss 6x24x56.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Strange, I don't have a problem with getting my eye into my Nightforce. The Leupold VXIII (?) 4.5-14x50 was a nightmare with eye relief though, if I wasn't in exactly spot X there'd be trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

johngalway wrote: »
    Strange, I don't have a problem with getting my eye into my Nightforce. The Leupold VXIII (?) 4.5-14x50 was a nightmare with eye relief though, if I wasn't in exactly spot X there'd be trouble.

I know I have the 12-42 but I agree with the lads above. My 2 criticisms of the Nightforce are poor contrast and eye relief can take a little time to get right on it.

Don't have issues off a bench actually or at lower mags, generally it's just in those scenarios where you are prone, have high mag on and are not as comfortable as you'd like. That is usually when I notice it.

I'm not getting on Too bad with my VX-III, but it's just not as handy as it should be. I'm also a bit reluctant to completely blame the scope because it's mounted a bit higher than i'd like- so that could be a factor...

The worst thing is coming from a 6x42 Schmidt to a high-power Pold, the schmidt was like aiming a shotgun, gun up-fire! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Tbh I don't use the high mag on my scope, except for a very odd time to look at something.

A 3-12x or 4-16x would suit me better in fairness but I had bought before knowing that :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Vegeta wrote: »
    I know I have the 12-42 but I agree with the lads above. My 2 criticisms of the Nightforce are poor contrast and eye relief can take a little time to get right on it.

Don't have issues off a bench actually or at lower mags, generally it's just in those scenarios where you are prone, have high mag on and are not as comfortable as you'd like. That is usually when I notice it.

12-42 is a hard scope to get right on as you start where most tactical scopes almost finish.

I've never tried the lower mag NF scopes in the field.(just outside the door of the shop)

I find that on 5.5 I can see 200 yards on a moon light night(especially in frost)

The scopes they review all hover around 4-16 +/- a couple of mag.

I can't understand why they did not pic the 5.5-22 as it would be far superior at range to all the others, yet still pretty amazing on 5.5 with a 56mm objective lens

Or use a Zeiss 6-24x72

Victory Diavari
    6-24x72 T*FL
    Magnification
    6.0x - 24.0x
    Effective Lens Diameter
    72.0 mm - 72.0 mm
    Exit Pupil Diameter
    12 mm - 3 mm
    Twilight Factor
    16.9 - 41.6
    Field of View (ft/100 yards)
    18.6 - 5.1
    Diopter Range
    +2/-3 dpt
    Eye Relief (in)
    Parallax-Free (yds)
    55.0 m - ∞
    Square Adjustment Range (in/100 yds)
    57.6/25.2
    Adjustment per Click (cm/100 meters)
    1/4
    Center Tube Diameter
    34 mm
    Eye Piece Tube Diameter
    45 mm
    Objective Tube Diameter
    80 mm
    LotuTec®
    yes
    Nitrogen Filled
    yes
    Waterproof
    400 mbar
    Functional Temperature Range
    -13/+122 °F
    Length
    14.89 in
    Weight

Weight (Illuminated)
    37.42 oz
    http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/76012357c717ac2885257547005cf52b

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

I would definitlely agree with you there John. I find the eye relief very annoying on my VXiii 4.5-14x50

Advertisement