Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB day/night charge

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, my flat has two seperate calculations on using ESB electric bill which are day and night rate

I just want to know what is the starting time they start to calculate night rate? And what is the time for day rate?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

pcboy wrote: »
    Hi, my flat has two seperate calculations on using ESB electric bill which are day and night rate

I just want to know what is the starting time they start to calculate night rate? And what is the time for day rate?

Thank you

http://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/home_business_tariff.jsp
    Night rate hours are 11pm to 8am in wintertime and 12am to 9am in summertime.

Google, a wonderful thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

pcboy wrote: »

Thank you

They use the night rate at night. And then in the day time they use the day rate during the day time.

Danbo! wrote: »
    And then in the day time they use the day rate during the day time.

Do they do that during the day? O RLY? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is the place for all things ESB.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pcboy

• Advertisement

This is the place for all things ESB.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349

It isn't really, it's a place for ESB Customer Supply customers or those enquiring about the customer supply. You can be on the ESB Network but with Airtricity, there'd be no point in posting enquiries about rates in that forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

night rate is genreally used where storage heaters are installed. It's cheaper to use night rate. If possible you should run the dishwasher and washing machine at night as it'll also save you money. Only valid for those who have a second meter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Not always, but if there are storage heaters they may be on the night rate alone.

Double tariff is more common though, you need to burn a certain amount by night to make it worthwhile, 'cos the standing charge is higher.

Now back to your regular programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ted1 wrote: »
    night rate is genreally used where storage heaters are installed. It's cheaper to use night rate. If possible you should run the dishwasher and washing machine at night as it'll also save you money. Only valid for those who have a second meter

Indeed a rip-off the day rate that is.

Try running noisy washing machines and dishwashers in an apt block at night, doesn't happen for bad noise insulation problems of Irish apts hence apt dwellers are screwed by the day rate. Can't wait to live in a house again!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pretty sure that most people are not on the day/night rate option.
    They have to install something specific to track your night/day use if you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH->ESB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi pcboy,

If you have a dual tariff meter installed, you will typically have a meter with two dials:
    • One records the number of day units (kWh) you use The other records your night units (kWh).
    • Night rate hours are 11.00 pm to 08.00 am in wintertime (October - April) and 12.00 am to 09.00 am in summertime (April - October)
    In newer digital meters, you will find your separate day and night readings by pressing the button on the front of the meter. This is discussed here.

You pay two different rates for your electricity; - a general rate during the day (€0.1709 per unit) and lower rate at night (€0.0846 per unit).

As a Nightsaver customer, you pay slightly higher standing charges (averages 11 cent extra) per day. If you are using at least 3 units of electricity per night you will start to get the benefit of the lower unit prices from your nightsaver meter.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Ted1,

Many customers who have night storage heaters installed may have a separate night storage meter. This is different from a Nightsaver meter, because only the storage heaters are connected to a night storage meter. Anytime the heaters are used, it is recorded at lower night rate. However the rest of the electricity used in the property will be charged at the general 24 hour tarrif.

You can only benefit from the lower night rates for your general electricity use if you have a dual tariff (Nightsaver) meter installed.

Some customers may have their night storage heaters connected to a dual tarrif meter. In this case the unit price they pay to run these heaters will vary depending on the time of day. This can depend on how your internal system has been set up.

The type of set up can vary from customer to customer. It is best to check your bill to find out what tariff and meter type you have installed. If you are in anyway unsure about it, we can confirm what type of installation you have.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

From my experience - Recently I moved into flat with 2 meters installed and one is for cheaper tariff. However only one storage heater is connected to cheaper tariff, which means that soon I'll stop to use cheap electricity. It works like there is no power during day hours and power is on while night, so it's useless to connect anything like fridge or PC into this. However I wonder about having boiler on night tariff as it keeps hot water for few hours, and I use electric shower during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Any chance of the night rate been changed to start at 7 pm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Zom,

If you have two separate meters installed, the likelihood is that one of them is what's called a night storage heating meter. As the name suggests, this meter is specifically tailored for night storage heaters, and will run them at the reduced rate (€0.0846 per unit, incl. vat) any time of day.

Unlike the Nightsaver meter, it cannot be used for general usage, but only for night storage heating, and it also costs €206.57 (incl. vat) to have installed (there is no charge to install the Nightsaver meter).

If you would like me to clarify this for you, please feel free to PM me your account details.
    Vego wrote:
    Any chance of the night rate been changed to start at 7 pm biggrin.gif

That'd be nice alright... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"Unlike the Nightsaver meter, it cannot be used for general usage"

Can you explain me why? Is that technical issue or legal issue (price)?

What I get from my measurements is that there is no power till 11PM and then it starts (I am not sure when stops). I have electric backgrounds (although I am not certified electrician) so I know how to measure it. I am not going to modify anything in electric installation because it's not my house, but I am just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

zom wrote:
    "Unlike the Nightsaver meter, it cannot be used for general usage"

Can you explain me why? Is that technical issue or legal issue (price)?

Hi zom,

It would be a technical issue insofar as only night storage heaters would be wired into the night storage heating meter, and a legal issue insofar as it would break the terms of contract to manipulate the wiring of the meter in any way.

If you need me to clarify which meter it is you actually have installed, and whether you need it checked out for faults etc, please feel free to PM me your account details and we can take it from there.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Vego wrote: »
    Any chance of the night rate been changed to start at 7 PM 1 pm :D

There you go - fixed it for ya! :D
    I'd say your chances are about the same either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mog24

Hi David
    I would like to know does it make more financial sense to switch to a day meter only? I live alone and find it very expensive to use the electricity. Considering that the heaters only go on around Nov-Mar and the immersion is on for only 40 mins every night, I think the higher day time rate makes this non-viable. How can I work out which is best? Can I just have the storage heaters on Nightrate or can you advise on an alternative better form of Electric heating? Sooooooooooooo many questions, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi mog24,

With storage heating, a customer can only have either a night storage meter or a dual tariff (day/night) meter. Unfortunately it is not possible to have storage heaters on a single tariff meter alone.

Another possibility though is storage heaters on night rate only - this means having a single tariff meter and a night storage heater meter. In order to ascertain whether this would be feasible for you, we would need to have a look at your Electric Ireland account.

When you have a chance, do private message us your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address in full as they appear on your account, as well as either your date of birth or the contact telephone number on your account.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement