Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timing belt

Options
  • 12-01-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

need timing belt done on a 06 focus and service as well. anybody give me an idea what this will cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'll ask a mechanic friend in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cillizpet

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I'd say that you'd probably get a better response in the motor forum. You could also ring around to compare prices.

250 Euro? For a timing belt change, water pump, service, coolant change too?

PM Sent with a more realistic low price and contact details. Again, not me, I'm just passing on info for a place I know and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cillizpet

thanks for all replies

• Advertisement

ShamFeen wrote: »
    Op never said water pump and they dont have to be done together depending on position of pump. Got all done on my 4x4 for 250, main dealers wanted €700. Tell us your realistic price?

Well most garages (non main dealer) would charge €250 ish for a timing belt and water pump on a 4 cylinder easy to do engine. If the pump isn't belt driven and you don't want it changed knock €50 off that.

A service would be €150 minimum (if the belt is due I would reckon a full serice is required rather than just an oil and filter). So that's €350 ish without a water pump.

Op never said water pump and they dont have to be done together depending on position of pump. Got all done on my 4x4 for 250, main dealers wanted €700. Tell us your realistic price?

Well, first of all, you're throwing prices about not knowing if it's Diesel, or Petrol. And I wouldn't do a timing belt without doing a water pump - fords pumps aren't brilliant TBH, and while you're elbows deep in the engine you might as well do it for peace of mind.

It's not my price, and I didn't want to post it on thread for fear of being banned/infracted for shilling, but if the OPs car is a 1.4 Petrol, you'd be talking somewhere around 350-400 for all the work with proper parts and proper fluids.

Ok sounds alright but ........

But what?

He means a PM has been sent with a more realistic low price than the €250 you suggested me thinks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

But what?

Sorry can't multitask!! I can't believe the cheaper quote that you gave the OP. Would it be possible for you to p.m me the garage that gave it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Hi lads, just stumbled across this thread.

The timing belt on my '00 Leon snapped this morning. Had a buddy who's a mechanic around earlier and he said i could be looking at 600-700 quid. My heart sank!

So if anyone could recommend a cheaper one around the place that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

RoverJames wrote: »
    He means a PM has been sent with a more realistic low price than the €250 you suggested me thinks ;)

I need mine done on a 05 focus and would love if you could either PM the details or even throw them up here.

No harm spreading the word if someone is doing a good job. I'm sure he will be glad of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I paid just shy of €350 for my timing belt in sept. Ballinlough Motors did the job, I find them vey good. One of the reason it cost's so much is there is a lot of labour involved, the rad, water pump, etc have to be removed. If your belt has broken €600-€700 euro sounds reasonable, the belt breaking could/will write off your engine.:confused:

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Hi lads, just stumbled across this thread.

The timing belt on my '00 Leon snapped this morning. Had a buddy who's a mechanic around earlier and he said i could be looking at 600-700 quid. My heart sank!

So if anyone could recommend a cheaper one around the place that would be great.

If the belt snapped there is more than likely bent valves etc, these will need to be replaced and lapped in which is labour intensive. You may well be looking at over €700 unfortunately.
    rebelccfc wrote: »
    I need mine done on a 05 focus and would love if you could either PM the details or even throw them up here.

No harm spreading the word if someone is doing a good job. I'm sure he will be glad of the business.

'twas PaintDoctor sent the PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

RoverJames wrote: »

'twas PaintDoctor sent the PM :)

Apologies. Quoted the wrong message.

PaintDoctor, if you could either PM me the mechanics details or throw them up here please.

Greatly Appreciated,
    Thanks

I'll PM. Don't think the Mods are generally okay about putting people's name's and phone numbers up online.

+1 on RJ's comments about the belt. 700 seems light for a snapped belt repair.

Advertisement