Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Fluorescent Tube/Bulb 8W Length approx 412mm (With Tongs)398mm(Without)

Options
  • 12-01-2011 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi All,

I'm looking for a Fluorescent Tube/Bulb 8W Length approx 412mm (With Tongs) 398mm(Without).

Its for a bathroom mirror, one side has gone and after going to about 6 light & DIY shopes and searched online for hours I've found out its a really difficult size to get hold of.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

cbrady99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

cbrady99 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking for a Fluorescent Tube/Bulb 8W Length approx 412mm (With Tongs) 398mm(Without).

Its for a bathroom mirror, one side has gone and after going to about 6 light & DIY shopes and searched online for hours I've found out its a really difficult size to get hold of.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

cbrady99

try an electrical wholesalers! just bring the old bulb with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cbrady99

Cheers for the quick reply.

I tried two or three Electrical Wholesalers B & Q, Woodies and some other shop for it and none had this particular size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

yikes probably got a made in italy sticker on the mirror...
    where did you buy the mirror?
    the only way a wholesaler will get stock of a particular size is for them to buy a box of them...good luck hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Is there any writing on the tube?

I got the mirror from a bathroom and plumbing supplier in Maynooth. I think its called Barretts (its the one near the M4 turn off)

I checked the mirror and can't find any "made in" sticker to say where the mirror originated from. I've checked the blub and the only thing I can see on it is 8W CE on the blub itself and JC on both the metal ends. Dont know if that will be of any use to anybody.

Thanks again for all the quick replies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Eurosales,CEF or LED wholesalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

firstly if its a t4 lamp your in trouble because t4 lamps are brand specific with respect to size and colour temperature.its only when you go up to the t5 size that they become globally standard.
    im asuming its a t4 because a t5 8watt lamp is one of the most common lamps available and everyone does them. so basically if you buy an 8 watt t4 lamp from one brand, it will be differant in size to an 8 watt t4 from another brand.
    most wholesalers and diy outlets only stock the lamps for the t4 fittings that they supply. can you post up a pic of the lamp or measure its thickness and on the basis of the sizes above i can try and locate a lamp to suit or tell you where to get one.
    but bear in mind that the replacement lamp might not be the exact shade of white as that of the other lamps in the fitting.

ps.... i need the exact lenght, as even a mm out and the pins wont make propper contact in the lamp holder

Thanks paddy147 - Had a look through the online catalogues but couldn't see the one I'm looking for.

Indie armada - The exact deminsions are Length - 398mm (without tongs) Length 412mm (with tongs), Width is 12mm.

Thanks for your help. I'll try post a pics also.

deffo sounds like a t4 but ive been unable to find a lamp to suit. most 8 watt t4 lamps are in and around 330mm long. at this point we would usually recomend that the customer change the fitting or the gear tray to accomadate a more widely available bulb. other then that maybe try the company from who you got the fitting. we do a lot of oddball lamps but when it comes to t4's it can be hit and miss.

cbrady99 wrote: »
    Thanks paddy147 - Had a look through the online catalogues but couldn't see the one I'm looking for.

Indie armada - The exact deminsions are Length - 398mm (without tongs) Length 412mm (with tongs), Width is 12mm.

Thanks for your help. I'll try post a pics also.

Looking on the internet doesnt allways get you it and sometimes the online shops and websites are not up to date.

Go and pay these places a visit in person.;)

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Eurosales,CEF or LED wholesalers.

we buy and sell to the companys mentioned above, id be fairly confident in saying they wont have this lamp, but there is no harm in trying.
    led aka robus lamps dont even come close in either t4 or t5. i measured all the brands we keep this morning and none come close. below is a list of the brands i tried.
    robus, ansell, eterna, leonardo and aurora. this might help narrow down the search.

we buy and sell to the companys mentioned above, id be fairly confident in saying they wont have this lamp, but there is no harm in trying.
    led aka robus lamps dont even come close in either t4 or t5. i measured all the brands we keep this morning and none come close. below is a list of the brands i tried.
    robus, ansell, eterna, leonardo and aurora. this might help narrow down the search.

Would Aroura showrooms up in Finglas have it by any chance???

paddy147 wrote: »
    Would Aroura showrooms up in Finglas have it by any chance???

nope.... i measured our aurora lamps that we have in stock and not even close.

nope.... i measured our aurora lamps that we have in stock and not even close.

Bummer so.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I'd go back to where you bought the fitting. There's no point in them supplying fittings that is near impossible to replace lamps in. If they can't supply you with a replacement lamp, then demand a fitting that has a lamp that can be replaced easily in Ireland.

Advertisement