Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying laminate in a staggered Patern?

• 12-01-2011 1:17am
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi,

an old timer is helping me lay some laminate and says it should be stagered as one board holds down the other and and he compares it to a brick wall which is staggered. Im not sure he has much experience doing this type of work but anyway Iv laid laminate before and have seen it in houses and it never seams to matter. Any difference how its laid?

Thanks a lot,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

johneym wrote: »
    hi,

an old timer is helping me lay some laminate and says it should be stagered as one board holds down the other and and he compares it to a brick wall which is staggered. Im not sure he has much experience doing this type of work but anyway Iv laid laminate before and have seen it in houses and it never seams to matter. Any difference how its laid?

Thanks a lot,

John

He is indeed correct.

When you complete on line of flooring you should have an off cut.

Start the next row with this off cut and this will give you no waste and a stagger .
    Rustic-Fir-Flooring.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

As gsxr1says you use the offcut from the last board on your first row and you will get the required stagger that is necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The "Oldtimer" as you call him knows what he's talking about, or at least he read the instructions that came with the laminate (didn't you :confused:). Staggering the boards will supply the necessary rigidity at the joints for the previous row of boards, i.e. lay one long piece so its middle section (approximately) will span the joint of the previous row and help to lock it in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Old timers always have two things in abundance and they are knowledge and wisdom , never doubt the old timers ;)

Would love to see the laminate floors you have laid before :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Mostly, your old-timer is right, but it does depend on the pattern you want and the type of laminate. Some (usually more expensive) laminates are definitely not meant to be staggered.

For example, I have the lighter version of this on a floor:

http://www.quick-step.com/europe/uk/en/floor/404561.aspx

You don't stagger it obviously. The joins are strong enough, there is no problem.

IKEA has a particular laminate flooring which it shows laid both ways in their catalogues.

In general, I would stagger it unless there is some good reason not to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The builder that renovated and built my house sometimes lays the floor at a horrisontal angle accross the room space.

Its different to the norm and also gives a sense of space,in a confined area.

Personally speaking,not my cuppa tea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

paddy147 wrote: »
    The builder that renovated and built my house sometimes lays the floor at a horrisontal angle accross the room space.

Its different to the norm and also gives a sense of space,in a confined area.

Personally speaking,not my cuppa tea though.

Huge amount of extra cutting as well!

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

Folks,

thanks to you all for the informative replies.

The laminate I laid in my last house did not need to be staggered. It was not like the photo in gsrx post, but plain very tight fitting laminate.After it was laid no line whatsoever was visible.
    I agree the old timers are a store of information and experience. However he is not a carpenter.He is an out of work neighbour so I am happy to employ him.It transpires his knowledge comes from seeing a solid wood floor once being laid.
    Prosperos Dave, yes I did read the instructions and there is nothing about staggering the boards. This laminate is similar to the last I laid.
    Carra 23 Your post does not add an iota of informative knowledge to the issue.I suspect your sole motive for the reply was sarcasm in which case better you dont reply.That is not what boards.ie is about. And as much as you think you know about this subject its obvious you dont,as you will note from some of the other posts regarding non staggered laminate.I will as you ask, post a photo of it as you are so eager to learn about laminate!

Thanks again folks,

Johney

johneym wrote: »
    Folks,

thanks to you all for the informative replies.

The laminate I laid in my last house did not need to be staggered. It was not like the photo in gsrx post, but plain very tight fitting laminate.After it was laid no line whatsoever was visible.
    I agree the old timers are a store of information and experience. However he is not a carpenter.He is an out of work neighbour so I am happy to employ him.It transpires his knowledge comes from seeing a solid wood floor once being laid.
    Prosperos Dave, yes I did read the instructions and there is nothing about staggering the boards. This laminate is similar to the last I laid.
    Carra 23 Your post does not add an iota of informative knowledge to the issue.I suspect your sole motive for the reply was sarcasm in which case better you dont reply.That is not what boards.ie is about. And as much as you think you know about this subject its obvious you dont,as you will note from some of the other posts regarding non staggered laminate.I will as you ask, post a photo of it as you are so eager to learn about laminate!

Thanks again folks,

Johney

ooohhh who's a moany michael ! ! ! and I beg to differ I know an awful lot more about this subject than you have presumed, I am a qualified cabinet maker and have laid plenty of laminate and solid floors. The part of my response that states ' never doubt the old timers ' was a little hint to you that what he had said about staggered joints was correct and you should listen to him.

I dont care what the other posters have said about this issue, when laying a floor stagger the joints, simple. There was a post where some one indicated that this is not always the case, I don't disagree here but will say that it is the exeption rather than the rule.

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

haha sarcasm becomes you

• Advertisement

Sarcasm rocks :cool:

Advertisement