Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audio Books

• 12-01-2011 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I think this is better suited here as I don't really want any novels/fiction. Can anyone recommend some good audio books? Looking for science/philosophy or that kind of stuff. Open to ideas.

There's a lot of time during the day that I notice I could be learning or listening to something interesting as opposed to silence.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I think this is better suited here as I don't really want any novels/fiction. Can anyone recommend some good audio books? Looking for science/philosophy or that kind of stuff. Open to ideas.

There's a lot of time during the day that I notice I could be learning or listening to something interesting as opposed to silence.
    How about Pale Blue Dot or Demon Haunted World by your name sake Carl Sagan.
    The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

You could alway try a few randoms:
    • The Art of War
    • Freakonomics
    • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
      French Women Don't Get Fat
      Anything by Bill Bryson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Thanks guys - I never thought about a few of those. Kind of feel like I'm cheating by listening to them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I find I can't concentrate on audiobooks. It literally goes in one ear and out the other. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Nevore wrote: »
    I find I can't concentrate on audiobooks. It literally goes in one ear and out the other. :(
    I love them, listen to them on mp3 while walking as well as podcasts:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Nevore wrote: »

It's like this a lot for me too. So far, listening to them on the bus and while walking is grand though because I can concentrate on what's being said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I wouldn't be able to just sit and listen! I like the feel of a book, because you're concentrating on each word you don't get easily distracted as you would with an audio book.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

Carl Sagan wrote: »

Not really science/philosophy or any of that kind of stuff, but I got Michael McIntyre's autobiography (Life and Laughing) on audiobook, and have to say it's hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The problem I have with Audiobooks is that I end up paying more for them than I actually intended. For example, when I was listening to "A Brief History Of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson I would literally keep walking until my feet began to hurt and have to hobble my way home to a bath to put my feet containing some blisters into. There's no doubting they're brilliant, but I just can't find a proper environment to listen to them in. If I'm driving then it's in one ear out the other. If I'm walking then I tend to forget how fragile my feet are. If I'm lying down before sleeping then I just tend to fall asleep.:(

• Advertisement

Malty_T wrote: »
    The problem I have with Audiobooks is that I end up paying more for them than I actually intended. For example, when I was listening to "A Brief History Of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson I would literally keep walking until my feet began to hurt and have to hobble my way home to a bath to put my feet containing some blisters into. There's no doubting they're brilliant, but I just can't find a proper environment to listen to them in. If I'm driving then it's in one ear out the other. If I'm walking then I tend to forget how fragile my feet are. If I'm lying down before sleeping then I just tend to fall asleep.:(
    I know how you feel:) I just pick a route of known length and stick to it. You look forward to the next walk then to continue with the book:)

Advertisement