Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick BMW question

• 12-01-2011 1:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

On behalf of someone I am making this enquiry.

Is a 97' 316i with 140k on the clock a bad idea? Can those engines take that kind of mileage? New Nct on it from a garage. Garages wants 1,600 for it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That sounds very expensive to me. I'll admit i'm not expert but still.

And any 316 just seems like a bad idea. If they want something with a small engine i'd look elsewhere tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

They might get it down to 1,500. I see some posts from people with 316's with blown head gaskets at 120k here and there on the net. Probably depends who owned it and how it's been driven I suppose. Are they Just sh1tty 8 valve engines? M42 or whatever their called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

for a start its 1000 euro to dear, its a ****ty engined 14 year old high milage bm.

bmw535d wrote: »
    for a start its 1000 euro to dear, its a ****ty engined 14 year old high milage bm.

Why are dealers asking so much for these old yokes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

mondeo wrote: »
    Why are the stealers asking so much for these old yokes?

fyp....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Will probably be an m43 engine (unless its a coupe it will be an m42). The m43 is fairly simple and reliable. Like all old cars the cooling system needs to be looked after, otherwise you will get problems.

Price sounds a bit high, but depends what's been done and how well it's been looked after. I had a 96 one with over 200k and running fine...

Will probably be an m43 engine (unless its a coupe it will be an m42). The m43 is fairly simple and reliable. Like all old cars the cooling system needs to be looked after, otherwise you will get problems.

Price sounds a bit high, but depends what's been done and how well it's been looked after. I had a 96 one with over 200k and running fine...

Was it a 316?

Even private sellers are looking for near 2k for an old high miler 316i. Not sure what the going rate for them should be. I wouldnt be caught dead in one myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

look, it's a small engined BMW with a new NCT. people want this kind of stuff, I reckon 1500 is bang on the money. I'd sooner buy that than one without NCT for 750.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

colm_mcm wrote: »
    look, it's a small engined BMW with a new NCT. people want this kind of stuff, I reckon 1500 is bang on the money. I'd sooner buy that than one without NCT for 750.

I got a 1998 316i for €800 last year with 121k on the clock. needed about €300 worth of work to pass NCT and its been fine since. :rolleyes:

did you buy it from a dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Privately. Full service history though.

in that case, ya can't begrudge the dealer a few quid for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    in that case, ya can't begrudge the dealer a few quid for himself.

Or the fact that he needs to offer a warranty with the sale as well. Price sounds about right to me for a dealer sale - you'd probably pay alot less privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

if you save another 1-2000 euro you'd be able to buy a nicer bmw with half the mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sheeps wrote: »
    if you save another 1-2000 euro you'd be able to buy a nicer bmw with half the mileage.

The OP's mate could get one with six cylinders for starters then;)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mondeo wrote: »
    Why are dealers asking so much for these old yokes?
    Dealers don't set prices, buyers do.

Advertisement