Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No broadband in Cork City

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Theholidayguy

I have http://stresa.hostireland.com/
    in the office with a SAT Dish (needs line of sight)
    internet very fast and cheap as well

TheholidayGuy
    http://bit.ly/shortholidaytwitte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

I have http://stresa.hostireland.com/
    in the office with a SAT Dish (needs line of sight)
    internet very fast and cheap as well

€119 a month is not that cheap and it is only avalable in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

UPC are missing an opportunity up there. There are loads of houses and it would be very economically viable to cable.

I'd say if proper broadband were offered, UPC would get a huge uptake and eircom would never get the customers back.

Clearly you're on one of those small exchanges that eircom drop into housing estates. You'd really think that in this day and age, they would be pre-enabled to handle DSL. I mean, there must be backhaul, possibly even fibre, there to link the little mini-exchange in a box to the host exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

MRBEAVER wrote: »
    I had a visit yesterday evening from a door to door Eircom Rep. He tried to persuade me to sign up to Eircom and assured me that fixed line broadband is available in my area. He said that he had already signed up half a dozen residents in my estate alone. Although very tempted I declined as I have been stung once before ( signed up to broadband bundle and only found out after connection that broadband unavailable) Later in the evening I phoned Eircom Sales and was told that situation remained the same i.e. Eircom has no plans to rollout fixed line broadband in Cork City. Could you check which of them has the correct information.

This seems to me to very sharp practice by Eircom and should be investigated. Some questions that need answering

1 Are Eircom sending out Sales Reps to areas of the city where there is no fixed line broadband available?

2 Are these reps telling residents that Eircom supplies broadband to their area in order to trick them into signing up for phone lines with connection fees and contracts?

Hi MRBEAVER
    My apologies if you were mis-led in any way.
    It really would not make sense for an agent to try and sell fixed line broadband if it were not available, as our systems will not accept the order and obviously we could not supply this:confused:
    If you PM me your tel. number I can certainly advise of the availability or future availability of fixed line in your are. Any sales agent pursuing this type of sales approach would be severly disciplined. I can check to see who was working in your area if you PM me the details ( dates and approx time if possible, street name and again your tel number).
    I will certainly try to get to the bottom of this.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Hi MRBEAVER I see O2 have a mast in your area. I know it's not 3G enable but might be worth giving them a call and asking if they are going to be updating.
    Tell them that there is no fixed broadband in that area from eircom or UPC. That just might make them update that mast to 3G.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

• Advertisement

Hi Tony
    The agent seemed genuine and I believe him when he said that he was told by his Supervisors in Eircom that broadband was available in the area before beng sent out. He seemed genuinely suprised when I told him that he had been sent to an area where it wasn't. He also said that he would recheck whether the info that he had been given by Eircom was correct. And its quite possible he may have cancelled the orders he had already taken if it wasn't. There definitely was no agressive sales approach and would not like to get someone in trouble if they were acting in good faith.

However you are incorrect when you say that Eircoms system does not allow the acceptance and processing of broadband bundle orders for areas to which you do not supply fixed line broadband. In my case I only found out after phone line was connected that broadband part of order could not be actioned.

I don't have a land line as I have no need of one. However you previously checked future availability for me and advised that Eircom have no plans to provide fixed line broadband to my area of the city.

wush06 wrote: »
    Hi MRBEAVER I see O2 have a mast in your area. I know it's not 3G enable but might be worth giving them a call and asking if they are going to be updating.
    Tell them that there is no fixed broadband in that area from eircom or UPC. That just might make them update that mast to 3G.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

Thanks Wush. I previously checked with O2 and they did not have plans to upgrade to 3G at that time. I also tried a O2 dongle on trial but the GPRS/EDGE signal was very poor.

Solair wrote: »
    UPC are missing an opportunity up there. There are loads of houses and it would be very economically viable to cable.

I'd say if proper broadband were offered, UPC would get a huge uptake and eircom would never get the customers back.

I'd say anyone that offered a decent broadband service would get a large uptake as there are hundreds of houses in the area. Although many now use radio transmitter. not an option for me as no line of site to southside masts.

Hi Tony
    The agent seemed genuine and I believe him when he said that he was told by his Supervisors in Eircom that broadband was available in the area before beng sent out. He seemed genuinely suprised when I told him that he had been sent to an area where it wasn't. He also said that he would recheck whether the info that he had been given by Eircom was correct. And its quite possible he may have cancelled the orders he had already taken if it wasn't. There definitely was no agressive sales approach and would not like to get someone in trouble if they were acting in good faith.

However you are incorrect when you say that Eircoms system does not allow the acceptance and processing of broadband bundle orders for areas to which you do not supply fixed line broadband. In my case I only found out after phone line was connected that broadband part of order could not be actioned.

I don't have a land line as I have no need of one. However you previously checked future availability for me and advised that Eircom have no plans to provide fixed line broadband to my area of the city.

Hi MRBEAVER
    Thanks very much for the response. It is possible incorrect information was passed on to the agent in question, if as you say he seemed to be genuinely surprised? I have raised this issue with the supervisors in the door to door agents section as in this case the information appears to have originated from there. To re-check their information.
    To clarify my own post :o yes an order can be taken for a landline even if broadband is not available on that line and the customer should be advised that broadband could not be guaranteed. I was referring to my own experience that if a landline did not pre-qualify for broadband an order then a broadband order could not be placed for that line.
    Thanks for bringing this yo our attention.
    Tony

I I was referring to my own experience that if a landline did not pre-qualify for broadband an order then a broadband order could not be placed for that line.

If this was the case then there would be bo real issue as the broadband orders taken by door to door sales reps would not be processed. I would also have had no difficulty giving my details on the off chance that Eircom had reversed it's decision on not rolling out broadband in the city.

However in my experience that is not how Eircom operates. In my own case I ordered a broadband bundle. The phone line was connected and I was told several times that the broadband was " on the way" I then spoke to a neighbour who had been similarly scammed. Eircom had only admitted to her after months of calls that they could not supply basic broadband. If this is still how Eircom operates then those who signed up for broadband bundles last week will have phone lines connected and will be waiting for a broadband connection that will not arrive.

• Advertisement

I'd say anyone that offered a decent broadband service would get a large uptake as there are hundreds of houses in the area. Although many now use radio transmitter. not an option for me as no line of site to southside masts.

Could you put up a tall pole on the chimney?

I'm not sure of the topology over your direction, but there are also masts located in the lower harbour area serving Cobh/Passagewest etc.

And there will shortly be improved coverage from the CIX (Cork Internet eXchange) building in Hollyhill.

http://www.cix.ie/2011/09/23/new-mast-extension/

There must be some way of getting a decent wISP signal up there!

Do you not have line of site towards the airport or towards the city centre high sites? There are transmitters for various wISPs in the docks i.e. on the Odlums building / huge grain storage silos in the docks and also near the old Ford Admin building (the 1950s/60s office tower) on Centre Point Road.

You should investigate all of the wISPs as they don't all have the same coverage patterns or site locations and they're not all using the same technologies either. So some are more line of sight than others.

There are quite a few of them at this stage.

Off hand, the ones I am aware of:

www.novanetworks.ie
    http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/index.html
    www.ripplecom.net
    www.airwave.ie
    http://www.ccbisp.net/ (Cork Community Broadband)

There may well be others, those are just a few off the top of my head.

Thanks for the information Solair. I tried Ripplecom, Nova Networks and Digiweb last year. Ripplecom even sent out technician to check for signal. None of them could provide a signal because of lack of line of sight to transmitters.

I checked Cork Community Broadband website but it seems they only cover west of city.

I hadn't heard of Airwave before so phoned then. They don't cover my part of the city. Again it's because their transmitter is on southside. They did say that that they had received lots of calls from area, presumably because of Eircoms refusal to enable city Exchange for basic broadband.

? I have raised this issue with the supervisors in the door to door agents section as in this case the information appears to have originated from there. To re-check their information.

Hi Tony

Just wondering whether you received any feedback as to why Eircom sales agents were sent out to areas of the city to which Eircom is refusing to provide basic broadband. Also were the broadband orders cancelled before phone lines were connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Tony

Just wondering whether you received any feedback as to why Eircom sales agents were sent out to areas of the city to which Eircom is refusing to provide basic broadband. Also were the broadband orders cancelled before phone lines were connected.

Hi MRBEAVER,

Thanks for post on the eircom Forum, on Boards.

My colleage has advised previously on broadband availability in your area. I don't have further information at this time. If you need to check on a broadband order, or cancellation, please PM the eircom Account number or phone number concerned.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hi MRBEAVER,

Thanks for post on the eircom Forum, on Boards.

My colleage has advised previously on broadband availability in your area. I don't have further information at this time. If you need to check on a broadband order, or cancellation, please PM the eircom Account number or phone number concerned.

Kind regards,
    Ant
    And whats that to do with the price of a pint?

He's raising the possibly misleading behaviour and info given by agents of eircom to people in this area. Eircom's response on this forum to their "accept all orders" initiative which apparently has been dropped, is to basically shrug their shoulders. As for releasing a public statement on the status of the "accept all orders" program in the major cities, well that would be too honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

A patronising and insultingly dismissive response from Eircom that addresses none of the issues raised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Does eircom "accept all orders" in Cork City as their CEO promised some years back. ???

I live in....... area of Cork City which has no broadband from Eircom.

this exchange is not broadband enabled. I can find no date for this to be enabled

Re your own area as I replied in previous post unfortunately no plans for further enablement in your own area and no further information available

My collague has already advised you on coverage in you area.

t
    regress wrote: »

What makes it worse is that even as Eircom abandons their DSL upgrade programme, they are trumpeting the roll-out of "NGN" broadband.

If eircom's word cannot be relied upon, and they continue to break their promises, then surely it is the role of legislators to force them to do what needs to be done.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

If the "Take All Orders" programme has been abandoned why don't the reps simply say so.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I would write to de Paper and to Mr Rabbitte about this lie Mr Beaver. Mr Rabbitte does not realise that eircom have renaged on this promise they made many years ago a

My colleage has advised previously on broadband availability in your area. I don't have further information

Regarding Standard DSL availability in cities nation-wide, Yes DSL is available in all the major urban centres in The Republic of Ireland, Dublin , Drogheda, Dundalk, Cork, Limerick Galway, Sligo Waterford , Wexford and Kilkenny.

Once again, I would ask you to withdraw the statement above and apologise for the misinformation. Fixed line broadband is clearly not available throughtout the major urban centres

Regarding Standard DSL availability in cities nation-wide, Yes DSL is available in all the major urban centres in The Republic of Ireland, Dublin , Drogheda, Dundalk, Cork, Limerick Galway, Sligo Waterford , Wexford and Kilkenny.

Still waiting for Eircom to withdraw this claim and admit that they lied.

Refusing to answer queries about reneging on the promise to take all broadband orders in the major urban areas is one thing. Deliberately lying about the availability of broadband in these areas is quite another. Withdraw this untrue claim.

"The person you are calling is using eircoms call waiting service and knows your call is waiting. Please hold while we try to connect you" ....... ... (Silence .... Tumbleweed )

• Advertisement

And some Ennio Morricone music. Although they never seemed to complain about the unavailability of fixed line broadband in those old westerns. So we have caught Eircom in a lie and now they are refusing to admit that they lied. C'mon Ant. Admit that you told a porkie and apologise for misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Is there any chance an eircom rep could tell me if Dromina, Co. Cork will ever have broadband????

glic83 wrote: »
    Is there any chance an eircom rep could tell me if Dromina, Co. Cork will ever have broadband????

Hi glic83
    can you PM me you rtel no and wil lcheck this for you.
    Tony

[
    ]Regarding Standard DSL availability in cities nation-wide, Yes DSL is available in all the major urban centres in The Republic of Ireland, Dublin , Drogheda, Dundalk, Cork, Limerick Galway, Sligo Waterford , Wexford and Kilkenny .

While your on this thread Tony could you withdraw the above statement on behalf of Eircom. It directly contradicts the information provided by you to the OP.

Quite extraordinary that Eircom is refusing to withdraw or apologise for a claim that has been exposed as a lie.

Please withdraw the false claim.

Please retract claim that up to 1MB fixed line broadband has been rolled out to Cork City.

regress wrote: »
    Please retract claim that up to 1MB fixed line broadband has been rolled out to Cork City.

Hi regress
    please read Ant's post again, the exact text says Regarding Standard DSL availability in cities nation-wide, Yes DSL is available in all the major urban centres in The Republic of Ireland, Dublin , Drogheda, Dundalk, Cork, Limerick Galway, Sligo Waterford , Wexford and Kilkenny. and not in all areas in the major cities.
    You may consider this an issue of semantics, however Ant's statement is technically correct and as such a retraction to this statement is not appropriate.

In regards to my previous post on DSL deployment, we have been advised that The Deployment Plan is subject to change as individual projects may be delayed / brought forward due to technical considerations. (The Rollout of NGB and Fibre, as demand for faster services increases, along with other infrastructure and technological changes since 2007 for example). I, Mark and Ant have made numerous enquiries on this issue and We have received no notification that plans to continue deployment to provide DSL have been discarded. We have posted this response earlier on this thread.

To this time this has to be our final say on this issue. Due to the interest in this subject We have asked to be kept updated on this and will certainly make any new information available.
    Tony

Any update on the status of Eircoms promise to take all orders in the five major urban areas. No mention of it in Eircoms full page ads in the Sunday papers

Does the promise to improve 3G coverage in the future replace the previous promise to roll out fixed line broadband or Wimax in the cities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement