Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in London

Options
  • 12-01-2011 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi guys, I might be moving to london soon but for the life of me i cant find a decent rent site for apartments or houses etc.
    Does anyone know what the good ones are for over there??

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Try RightMove if you're looking for somewhere to rent. Do you have anywhere in mind? What's your budget? Do you want a flat to yourself or do you want a houseshare? Are you in London at the moment? If you are, then get a copy of the local rag/Evening Standard/Metro. They're quite good for houseshares?

I'm from London, so might be able to help. PM me if you need to.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

There is a London Forum on boards with several threads on accomodation here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

loot and gumtree are what I always used when I lived in London

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

try http://www.foxtons.co.uk/search?search_type=LL

decent estate agent, some people say you pay more, but I have never had any complaints using them

www.findaproperty.com and as mentionted rightmove

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

jum4 wrote: »

decent estate agent, some people say you pay more, but I have never had any complaints using them

To offer the other side of the coin we had nothing but issues with Foxtons last year, couldn't answer basic questions about a property, kept pushing us to pay a despoit when they couldn't even get hold of the Landlord and when they did finally speak to Landlord, the landlord had already rented the property out on their own [this happened twice] and they're fees were a hell of alot higher [in one case eight times higher] then any of the other estate agents we spoke with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

jum4 wrote: »

www.findaproperty.com and as mentionted rightmove

I would also recommend Foxtons. I've used them twice to find somewhere..the prices are a bit higher but I found that the standard of the places was above average so didn't have any issues with that.

A downside with them though is you have to pay the 6 weeks deposit and months rent straight away to secure the property whereas another EA we used only needed a holding deposit and the remainder just before we moved in.

Also OP rightmove.co.uk is a good site

Personally, I wouldn't touch Foxton's Winkworth's or Barnard Marcus with the proverbial. Thieves, liars and chancers all of them...They also charge the most expensive rent

OP - if you're already in London, then like I said, the Evening Standard/Metro/local papers where you plan to live are a good bet. Similarly, Loot is also good.

Failing that, then RightMove or Find a Property if you're online. But you need to work out where you want to live, budget and whether you's want a houseshare or not. Bear in mind that the nearer the home is to facilities, the more expensive the rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

OH used to live there. Try gumtree.com for accommodation (it's also good for finding things to do).

Be careful about renting a room though as many landlords will kick you out as you are not the tenant. Basically make sure you contact the landlord and get confirmation of how much the deposit is. You would actually be better off renting a house off an ea (or gumtree) and using gumtree to find flatmates as it's the bast way to ensure you can get your deposit back.v

RE council tax, rent and access to the tube you should look at Balham as it's the council tax and rent are amongst the lowest in London according to him and its on the northern line. Decent quiet spot too as I've been.

Stay away from ?Brixton?. Asides from being openly offered drugs every time you walk down the street and the prison is just a dangerous, dirty kip though the market is good).

Other than that the ozzies are nuts (avoid a house share unless you fancy parties every night), the kiwi's are sound, the saffas (white south africans) are arrogant and the locals are dead on generally. Sorry to generalise but it's remarkably true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 denvey

Cheers guys for all the help!! The area im looking to rent in is Hendon sw4. I was over for the last few days staying in a friends while i had the interview which went very well.
    It seems the more u live with the cheaper and slightly nicer a place u get so ill try gumtree to find people with a 3 bed to rent.
    Cheers for all the help guys ill look through all the links given!!

denvey wrote: »
    Cheers guys for all the help!! The area im looking to rent in is Hendon sw4. I was over for the last few days staying in a friends while i had the interview which went very well.
    It seems the more u live with the cheaper and slightly nicer a place u get so ill try gumtree to find people with a 3 bed to rent.
    Cheers for all the help guys ill look through all the links given!!

Actually, Hendon is NW4! Clapham is SW4 - LOL!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Actually, Hendon is NW4! Clapham is SW4 - LOL!!

OH lived in Clapham. He saw wa room advertised there and moved in. Landlord popped in one day and kicked them all out as none of them were on the lease and it turned out the previous occupants were shy on paying rent. Deposit gone and all.

So again, be careful when taking over a room in a house and talk to the landlord. Otherwise you have no idea what has been going on there as alot of those leases could be from years ago and there might be nobody there connected with the original tenancy.

Have a look on gumtree and in the EA's for houses to rent and put an ad on gumtree looking for a few others to go in with you. Meet up in the pub and make sure they are okay before moving in with them though.

(OH Here) Also, if you are looking for something to do keep an eye on gumtree. When I was there, there were always events advertised on gumtree and I got involved in a Saturday football league which was great fun (lets just say we drank more than we ran) and things like tag rugby and that frisby game are great way for meeting australians and ozzies (men and women if your looking). Also, I never went but a cricket game is supposed to be brilliant fun as the cricket is only background noise to the drinking. Have fun and don't worry about which postcode you are in - just make sure that you have tube access (or better yet get a bike and save a fortune as it's not actually as big a city as it feels on the underground).

Advertisement